Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Misfiring strikers and midfielders, who is more responsible?

Who is to blame for the misfiring strikers and midfileld?

• Total voters

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Our wide players should be made to watch videos ofRangers' James Tavernier. His all-round game may not be up to PL standard, but his crosses are sublime - and more to thhe point, he makes them quickly.
There is a point about five to ten yards out diagonally from the corner of the penalty area - this is where our players stop, pass it inside and it gets fed out to te similar position on the other sifde of the pitch - and rinse and repest. Sometimes, for variation, we'll cunningly wotk thhe ball back to Sanchez.
Tavernier, as soon as he asrrives at that same spot, pings in a beautiful fast swinging centre, not too high, and plumb in the GK's area of uncertainty. A strike's dream - just a touch needed.
I'm sure someone will argue that our strikers won't be in there, ready for the cross - but the only reason they're often not in there at the moment is because they have no real expectation of getting such a cross.

So - who's to blame for our goal shortage? A combination of things, not just one reason.

This, eeeets complicated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Potter.

I am a fan, but when there is a failing that is not attributable to one individual, the manager has to take the lions share of it. He will also be the man I credit for turning that around this season, if and when he does.

Deffo.

There's nothing that isn't fixable and despite last Friday night being a textbook GPott team defeat.
I'm sure with Mr Bloom's backing he can move the team into midtable without looking like they're suffering from Imposter Syndrome.

But that said, if we get a third season of more of the same, he's going to very quickly look like the Titanic's deckchair attendance.

There's no point having a failing Plan A if plans B through to Z, and beyond, are just variations on Plan A

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’m pretty sure you’ve re-written history there!

I have only in so far as I have replace Locadia with Maupay, but the same principle applies.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
One thing is for sure. The longer we have a striker problem the more the finger will be pointed at Potter.

I really think he needs to grow a pair. This is his 5th window and yet his back-up striker options are still Locadia, Andone, Connolly, while Welbeck has not scored more than 6 Prem goals in any of the last 7 seasons and has never reached double figures in his career.

Potter needs to convince the chairman that an Edouard or an Onuachu is crucial. If he needs to sell Andone and Connolly then so be it. A more experienced manager would be kicking up a fuss; this is a striker crisis that has been enduring since 2017, although for the first 2 seasons Murray papered over the cracks.

If Potter ends up getting the sack it will be his failure to sort the striker position that will do for him.

I'm sure the club has rejected dozens of multi-bazillion pound bids for these two.

Other than that, I also disagree with you. Crying and moaning about TB not spending enough money is not his job and not his personality. You, Stat Brother and this rebel51 bloke are way more competent in that area. You go convince Tony to spend money he may or may not have.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Our wide players should be made to watch videos of Rangers' James Tavernier. His all-round game may not be up to PL standard, but his crosses are sublime - and more to thhe point, he makes them quickly.
There is a point about five to ten yards out diagonally from the corner of the penalty area - this is where our players stop, pass it inside and it gets fed out to te similar position on the other sifde of the pitch - and rinse and repest. Sometimes, for variation, we'll cunningly wotk thhe ball back to Sanchez.
Tavernier, as soon as he asrrives at that same spot, pings in a beautiful fast swinging centre, not too high, and plumb in the GK's area of uncertainty. A strike's dream - just a touch needed.
I'm sure someone will argue that our strikers won't be in there, ready for the cross - but the only reason they're often not in there at the moment is because they have no real expectation of getting such a cross.

So - who's to blame for our goal shortage? A combination of things, not just one reason.
Would JT have the time and space or even get in that position in the PL it’s not that simplistic.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure the club has rejected dozens of multi-bazillion pound bids for these two.

Other than that, I also disagree with you. Crying and moaning about TB not spending enough money is not his job and not his personality. You, Stat Brother and this rebel51 bloke are way more competent in that area. You go convince Tony to spend money he may or may not have.

1. Selling Andone and Connolly will raise some cash AND get their wages off the books (see also Davy Propper and Mat Ryan).

2. I'm not trying to convince Tony to spend money that he may or may not have. I'm saying Potter should go to Tony to convince him to spend 40% of the Ben White money we've just banked on a striker that - in football terms - could be the difference between staying in the Premier League or getting relegated.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
1. Selling Andone and Connolly will raise some cash AND get their wages off the books (see also Davy Propper and Mat Ryan).

2. I'm not trying to convince Tony to spend money that he may or may not have. I'm saying Potter should go to Tony to convince him to spend 40% of the Ben White money we've just banked on a striker that - in football terms - could be the difference between staying in the Premier League or getting relegated.

1. If someone wants to buy them, yes. Otherwise it would not raise some cash.

2. Maybe he already did, maybe he didnt, maybe the club still doesnt have a lot of money to move around with despite the White sale. Maybe things dont even work anywhere similar to that in a modern professional football club.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would JT have the time and space or even get in that position in the PL it’s not that simplistic.

I've already said that the rest of his game is probably not up to PL standard. But would he get into that position? - of course he would - he would run down the wing and someone would pass the ball to him - same as happens to whoever's playing wide now.
And would he have time? - how long does it take to kick a footbal? (without stopping, looking round to see who's inside or behind you for a tippy-tappy pass). Yes of course he'd have time! - because it takes him next to no time at all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Tony Bloom has said he wants mid table from his 9 win team.

I'm as sure as I can be he doesn't deal in 'yeah but if...', when looking back on last season.

He's all in on GPott, not a decision I raised an eyebrow at when it happened so soon into his reign.
So he will be strengthening his side or else he never would have made such an out of character prediction, pretty much unsolicited, to positive, captive, audience.

If after strengthening he's still the owner of a 9 win team then big change won't be far behind.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tony Bloom has said he wants mid table from his 9 win team.

I'm as sure as I can be he doesn't deal if 'yeah but if...', when looking back on last season.

He's all in on GPott, not a decision I raised an eyebrow at when it happened so soon into his reign.
So he will be strengthening his side or else he never would have made such an out of character prediction, pretty much unsolicited, to positive captive audience.

If after strengthening he's still the owner of a 9 win team then big change won't be far behind.

The clubs that finished in the mid-table spots last season (8th - 12th) scored an average of 53 goals. Last season we scored 40 goals and we have not signed any new strikers yet, or disposed of the misfiring ones.

Having sold Ben White I don't see the defence are going to be that much better, therefore if we have any hope of reaching a mid-table position we need an additional 10 goals from somewhere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The clubs that finished in the mid-table spots last season (8th - 12th) scored an average of 53 goals. Last season we scored 40 goals and we have not signed any new strikers yet, or disposed of the misfiring ones.

Having sold Ben White I don't see the defence are going to be that much better, therefore if we have any hope of reaching a mid-table position we need an additional 10 goals from somewhere.

Hard to argue with the logic...

...but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute, to do so.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hard to argue with the logic...

...but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute, to do so.

Not necessary, people have explained a lot of times why the same players doesnt necessarily mean the same results.

Some get it, some will never get it.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Recruitment Think Maupay and Trossard were good signings but money paid for Locadia and Ali was mad. What a player we could have got for total spent on those 2. Verdict still out on Andone and maybe will be come good. All I would say just watching him for a couple of games before we signed him would have shown he had a suspect temperament

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey Stat, how come we weren't in for this guy? 15 goals in 83 appearances would be right up our street. :whistle:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58153367

If his christian name was Gary and his surname Goals I would have been interested.

As it is, google suggests he isn't injured and 'Josh Sargent DJ set' came back blank, so I'm pretty sure he was never on the Albion's radar.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I voted "Other". Its a bit of everything, but mainly its the disturbed nature of modern top level football where the team that has the biggest **** as its owner usually has the most success.

This!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not necessary, people have explained a lot of times why the same players doesnt necessarily mean the same results.

Some get it, some will never get it.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Einstein

Luckily, in defence that isn't the case as we don't have the same players. At the time of typing the defence is significantly weaker.

In midfield it is also not the case. On reputation from people who know Mwepu has bags of potential and should be an upgrade on Propper, And it's a good job I have read them and am not as impatient as you actually think, since I've seen him play one game badly, at wingback.

Up front though? With the notable exception of returning Ali J back to a league that actually suits him we're very much in Einstein territory.

Plenty of window left for that to change though :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here