Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mince pie recommendations

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Well I've just polished off a couple of Mr Kipling mince pies and can report that they are deep filled and jolly tasty.
7.5/10

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
our shop sells shit loads,infact,im fedup already and its only dec 1st!!!,we sell them for 45p each,or 6 for 2.50,they are proper decent with REALbrandy,not essence,we supply caveliar wholesale and grand hotel,tbh they aint my cup of tea

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Avoid asda tru mince pies, wheat and gluten free so the "pastry" tastes like soggy cardboard :sick:

Maybe for many there is a health reason why they would choose a gluten free mince pie and therefore cannot avoid - but agree they are not as nice as the wheat pastry version. In fact this year had a mince pie from a plain Asda pack with a short pastry and stacks of filling, you can even taste the brandy inside, which is unusual for a non home made one. Otherwise M&S are the best, but anyone who has ever been to Costco and eaten one of their bakewell looking mince pies - now that is a treat.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have decided to have a go at making mince pies this year, I can make pastry and already bake stuff like muffins and cakes, so it shouldn't be too difficult. My main criticism of bad pies is that the pastry is too thick or bland and there isn't enough mincemeat, or it is poor quality, so the only solution is to make them myself.

However, the Sainsbury taste the difference range are pretty good...served piping hot with a scoop of ice-cream or some custard, excellent!

sainsbury_luxury430x300.jpg

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
My vote goes to M&S truly indulgent (in gold box), Tesco finest or the Co-op. Part of Christmas is having at least one box of all of them on my way to deciding that M&S are best!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The myth is that for every different make of mince pies you have during the 12 days of Christmas you will get 1 month of good luck for the coming year. I try to have 12 different ones either shop bought or home made by relatives and friends.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Maybe for many there is a health reason why they would choose a gluten free mince pie and therefore cannot avoid - but agree they are not as nice as the wheat pastry version. In fact this year had a mince pie from a plain Asda pack with a short pastry and stacks of filling, you can even taste the brandy inside, which is unusual for a non home made one. Otherwise M&S are the best, but anyone who has ever been to Costco and eaten one of their bakewell looking mince pies - now that is a treat.

The mrs got them as they were "on a deal" when she did the online shopping, all she saw was mince pies and deal without reading that they were actually £3 for 8 of the vile tasting things :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Forfars Viennese mince pies. Cannot be beaten.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I wish mince pies just contained everyday mince meat, and that was it. Then I'd love them.
Otherwise, they're awful. IMO lyke.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
They do.

If you knew what the original meaning of 'meat' was, you'd know why it's called that.

Err, so what you are saying is that standard mince pies do contain just mince meat, but not the mince meat that I know as mince meat, but original mince meat... right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here