Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Millau viaduct in France.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just been reading up about bridge design (like you do) and came across the Millau viaduct. Awesome. :wave:

Attachments

• millau.jpg
    millau.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,411

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
There was a programme on Nat Geo I think it was a few years back showing how they made it. Immense structure.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Wouldn't like to go over that when this lot comes down

X7471423-2.jpg

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Designed by Norman Foster init. The frogs don't mention that much. :lol:

Leicester Seagull

Oct 24, 2009
I've been over it! :wave:

Every summer my family used to go camping down in that part of France and so we saw it slowly being built over the years. truly awesome feat of engineering! Looks especially amazing when there's clouds around it :thumbsup:

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
A few years ago I went on a university football tour to Barcelona. We took a coach, crossed late at night to Calais and set off down through France busily trying to drink our own body-weight in booze. After a few hours we came across this bridge and the whole coach fell silent as we all stared out of the windows. Takes a while to get across and at times it almost feels like you're flying. V. impressive. Even more so when you think they originally planned a road to just snake along the bottom of the valley but then Foster came up with this design which was loads more expensive but they just went for it.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections
BBC2 6.55pm today

Millau Sky Bridge
Richard Hammond finds out how an ancient Celtic technique for building boats aided the construction of the Millau bridge in France, as it made concrete as bendy as wood. He discusses how the 340m high piers were positioned with millimetre accuracy, the importance of the most slippery substance known to man in placing the road deck, and shoots 750,000 volts from his fingertips to demonstrate the best way to cut steel.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Funny thing is that it only crosses a tiny river (the Tarn I think), when you compare it to the size of the bridge, though it's a stunning design. You have to hand it to the French. When they want something built, they just get on and build it. They suffer from Yimbyism in France rather than Nimbyism - when they were building the fast rail link from Lille to Calais, there were protests in Amiens because the line wouldn't be going through the town.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here