Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Miliband's speech yesterday

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst traversing the motorways of Southern England yesterday afternoon, I got to hear Ed Miliband's speech at the Labour Party conference.

Now, I'm not overly interested in the general politicking nor his policies but I thought the overall delivery was dreadful.

Too many times he finished a sentence then, I can only assume, looked at his auto-cue to discover there were a couple more words to add. And add them he did, in a very disjointed manner.

He also didn't seem to know when the applause was going to come so often didn't allow the necessary pause before moving on.

3/10

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I have to agree Bozza.

I just cannot understand how he has gotten to be leader. Although in all fairness rather him than Ed Balls.

Problem Labour have is similar to that of the Tories after the '97 election and that is that there are only a handful of politicians with the charisma and ability to connect with ordinary voters in the parliamentary Labour party at the moment.Plus people still blame them for the trouble this country is in, even though it's very likely the same would have happened regardless of who the last political party were in power.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I thought he did pretty well considering he's been pony since he started. A big improvement. But i can't honestly say i want him as leader. I'd rather Ed Balls or Andy Burnham or even Dave Milliiband.

I think if he stay then there's no chance of Labour getting re-elected, however i hope to be pleasantly surprised.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
And he is so camp. I can't believe nobody else notices this apart from me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh, and I hate the way he says "bargain", and he said it a LOT yesterday.

And the way he described stuff as being "wrong" also really annoyed me.

For my hat-trick of dislikes, I'll throw in his "fast buck"/ "quick buck" references that also riled me.

Nicky Campbell, of all people, pressured him on some specifics on 5 Live this morning and he seemed to be found somewhat wanting. As such, I'm downgrading him to 2/10.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
As well as being badly delivered, the speech itself was pony.

And I don't like the way he says "bargain"

Edit: beat me to it, Bozza!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Oh, and I hate the way he says "bargain", and he said it a LOT yesterday.

And the way he described stuff as being "wrong" also really annoyed me.

For my hat-trick of dislikes, I'll throw in his "fast buck"/ "quick buck" references that also riled me.

Nicky Campbell, of all people, pressured him on some specifics on 5 Live this morning and he seemed to be found somewhat wanting. As such, I'm downgrading him to 2/10.

I do like Nicky Campbell and Peter Allen on 5Live, they know how to hone in on a specific point and won't let a politician bullshit their way out of it or change the subject

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I realise as a Southerner I really shouldn't be sensitive to this but the whole Labour Leadership is really one big London Set and utterly unrepresentative of anything in this country. The one exception noted above Andy Burnham should have been able to walk a leadership contest as the only outsider to this little clique. That he didn't even come close says as much about him as the rest of them - utter mediocrities.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And he is so camp. I can't believe nobody else notices this apart from me.

maybe a bit. problem is most people dont notice much about him at all. for me he resembles a sixth form geek, not quite comfortable with himself. forgetting his politics, he has the leadership of a sparrow. on his politics, it sounds like he's just playing to the home crowd with no substance.

if you cant do leadership or substantive policy, whats the point of leading a political party?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
He's not the best choice for Labour leader in the world. He's not even the best choice within his own family.

Faltering, uncomfortable in his own skin, wooden, cliched ... and so on. Not a chance of being prime minister.

Now that the country's got over finding Ed Balls' surname hysterical, the time is coming to give him the top job.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I realise as a Southerner I really shouldn't be sensitive to this but the whole Labour Leadership is really one big London Set and utterly unrepresentative of anything in this country. The one exception noted above Andy Burnham should have been able to walk a leadership contest as the only outsider to this little clique. That he didn't even come close says as much about him as the rest of them - utter mediocrities.

Burnham was very poor when questioned by uber-Tory Andrew Neil after Red Ed's speech. Very unimpressive - grumpy, "I'll shout over you" Northerner. Could never see the public voting for him.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Alan Johnson should have grown some balls and got involved in the leadership contest, as Ed just can't connect to the voters. I fear he won't perform well in the next three years and will allow David Cameron to get a majority.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He's not the best choice for Labour leader in the world. He's not even the best choice within his own family.

Faltering, uncomfortable in his own skin, wooden, cliched ... and so on. Not a chance of being prime minister.

Now that the country's got over finding Ed Balls' surname hysterical, the time is coming to give him the top job.

Living within Balls' and Yvette Cooper's constituancy I have had the 'pleasure' of meeting Balls on a few occasions, thoroughly sweaty, unimpressive man.

We all know that David Milliband should have got the job. Balls was never seriously in the running or Burnham or anybody else for that matter.

SeagullBT

Sep 7, 2011
It's a long way away before the next general election but I have not a clue who I would vote for. Labour are un-electable as they stand with Ed Milliband, and I agree on the previous comments about his poor presentation; Hitler spoke nonsense but he did it well and got a nation behind him! I'm sure the Lib Dems have lost a lot of support and they will likely get kicked out of Number 10. And that leaves us with Cameron and his muppet mate George. Bloom for PM?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
May be he should have got Ray Romano to stand in for him. No-one would have noticedthe difference.

Ray%20Romano-LRS-008516.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ed Milliband is a crap public speaker, and I'm afraid that is part of the job of leading a party these days. To be honest, the whole top brass at the Labour party is particularly unimpressive at the moment. A woeful mix of bluster, hot air and bullshit.

I'd have liked to see an attempt at justifying past public spending instead of gash sweeping statements and admittting they wouldn't take away some of the decisions already undertaken by the goverment. They could easily attempt to argue that high public spending is justifiable, or that it had been higher as a proportion of GDP in previous years than it was in the last administration, or that it was actually being managed.

It all just makes them look spineless as well as incompetent. So too does the gutless u-turn on reducing union influence. I won't be voting Labour, I can tell you. Not while these cretins are in charge. It's a pity, because they are best placed to look after the country's workers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here