Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Miliband's speech yesterday

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I didn't hear yesterday's weedy ramblings, but the bloke's absolute rubbish. Heaven-sent to The Cleggeron Monster innit. It's a good job the likes of Nye Bevan aren't around to see this bunch of self-serving tossers who've managed to hijack the party. Hey ho.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Thought it was quite funny - the bloke cannot hold an audience at his own party conference and still thinks he would be a good choice to run the country. Amazing

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh, I've just remembered his 'jokes' - two of them with Clegg being the target.

They truly were awful and if it wasn't for it being the friendliest audience he'll ever get to speak to, I'm sure the tumbleweed would have been audible as it blew across the auditorium.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Labour's problem is they created the mould for a modern party leader when Tony Blair got the job and while the other two main parties have got in a Blair style leader (in terms of presentation not policy) Labour bent over backwards with Brown and Milliband junior not to repeat the exercise.

Milliband senior should have gone up against Brown. He might have found Brown's weaknesses during a campaign or at least taken over the Blairite wing of the party and got a senior cabinet job.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Oh, I've just remembered his 'jokes' - two of them with Clegg being the target.

They truly were awful and if it wasn't for it being the friendliest audience he'll ever get to speak to, I'm sure the tumbleweed would have been audible as it blew across the auditorium.

Come on then Bozza, spill the beans. After last night's fiasco, I fear I might've permanently lost the ability to laugh, so a cuppla gags from the Chuckles Millibend would be greatly appreciated.

You KNOW it makes sense! :thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The man is a complete joke and sums up Labour perfectly. They had the definitely more electable brother David to chose from and they chose Ed, a complete PR disaster, and unelectable. At least it means the country will have a second labour free government to recover from the mess they left us in.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm still trying to get over the fact that he's "not Tony Blair", I can tell you that came as shock. Then before I'd had time to recover from that revelation he proclaimed he is also "not Gordon Brown", powerful stuff.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lets not forget the way they wheeled out a 16 year old called Rory to prattle on about the welfare state.

Yes, Rory. A boy with a millionaire father who fell on hard times and so (*shock*) had to move from a private school to a grammar school in Kent. Real hardship there.

I'm sure this tale of grinding poverty of the working classes resonated throughout the party and throughout the country. Still, even he was better at public speaking than Ed Milliband.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Lets not forget the way they wheeled out a 16 year old called Rory to prattle on about the welfare state.

Yes, Rory. A boy with a millionaire father who fell on hard times and so (*shock*) had to move from a private school to a grammar school in Kent. Real hardship there.

I'm sure this tale of grinding poverty of the working classes resonated throughout the party and throughout the country. Still, even he was better at public speaking than Ed Milliband.

It does make me chuckle when they let kids speak at party conferences, you just know they'll be leading the party in 20 years time having led the same sheltered life as all other politicians. I seem to recall seeing a video of William Hague doing a speech at the Tory conference back in the 80s.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Now that David M is out of the picture the next best choice for a new Labour leader isn't even a MP anymore, James Purnell. You can just see Ed struggling through to the next election flopping and then Balls being elected. IDS to Ball's Hague.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It does make me chuckle when they let kids speak at party conferences, you just know they'll be leading the party in 20 years time having led the same sheltered life as all other politicians. I seem to recall seeing a video of William Hague doing a speech at the Tory conference back in the 80s.
You have to ask who makes the decision to allow them to speak. Especially where there is a very real chance that he may prove better at it and more relevant than the leader.

The only chance Labour have got is if Timmy hb&b does some door step canvassing for the Tories for every marginal household in the country. Sadly for Labour (and luckily for everyone else), there is only one hb&b, and he will probably be busy shoring up the green vote in Brighton Pavillion.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Milliband Senior is labour's Portillo moment. A more experienced and electable individual overlooked.

At least with a global meltdown it makes it harder for cameron and clegg to blame labour for everything. Cameron last week in New York blamed everybody else and Obama blames The Eurozone.

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
Whilst traversing the motorways of Southern England yesterday afternoon, I got to hear Ed Miliband's speech at the Labour Party conference.

Now, I'm not overly interested in the general politicking nor his policies but I thought the overall delivery was dreadful.

Too many times he finished a sentence then, I can only assume, looked at his auto-cue to discover there were a couple more words to add. And add them he did, in a very disjointed manner.

He also didn't seem to know when the applause was going to come so often didn't allow the necessary pause before moving on.

3/10

As a TORY boy i have to agree about the delivery, but I also have to say thet He made some pretty valid points ???

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's a long way away before the next general election but I have not a clue who I would vote for. Labour are un-electable as they stand with Ed Milliband, and I agree on the previous comments about his poor presentation; Hitler spoke nonsense but he did it well and got a nation behind him! I'm sure the Lib Dems have lost a lot of support and they will likely get kicked out of Number 10. And that leaves us with Cameron and his muppet mate George. Bloom for PM?

And therein lies the problem with the current political crop - all spin doctors. Miliband, Clegg, Cameron, Osbourne and Balls are all ex-SPADs. Anyone who saw the recent series about Inside Whitehall will appreciate how dangerous these men are to our countries wellfare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here