Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Ward

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Perhaps if the people that continually bitch about the phone in called it to give a viewpoint it would become better?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I managed to listen to the rubbish in te hope I might hear Slade's interview - which we didn't get.

Harty come back

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We BOTH know who does have the bigger knob out of you and I though :love: . I still maintain that the cold November night air under the pier had more of an effect on me than you. :mad:

Ahh, but from a shrivelled acorn grows a mighty OAK.
It still made my eyes water.

*swoon*

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Christ what a load of Albion snobs.
So what if he's not a bobble-hatted lifelong fan of the club, is that some kind of heinous CRIME now ? He's been watching the Albion for most (if not all ?) of our time at Withdean, has paid for his season ticket like the rest of us, but just happens to have a job in the media whereby he is seen by SCR as a semi-competant broadcaster, which has led to him being involved in the phone-in. You might not like his book or his column, but the OTT spite and bile directed at the bloke on here seems to be born primarily out of the fact that he didn't grow up supporting the club. So what. Big deal. get over yerselves. I bet there's loads of regulars at Withdean who could say the same. And I notice nobody on here feels strongly enough to actually go on the phone-in and say what you think of him.

Yes I'd still prefer Harty doing the phone-in as well, but he's had enough, so its not like Ward elbowed him aside to grab the job is it. Give the guy a break, he's not THAT bad. All this "I'm a bigger fan of the Albion than you" knobsize comparisons are getting tiresome. Petty and pointless.

Beautifully put Mr. 10. An early contender for post of the day

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Christ what a load of Albion snobs.
So what if he's not a bobble-hatted lifelong fan of the club, is that some kind of heinous CRIME now ? He's been watching the Albion for most (if not all ?) of our time at Withdean, has paid for his season ticket like the rest of us, but just happens to have a job in the media whereby he is seen by SCR as a semi-competant broadcaster, which has led to him being involved in the phone-in. You might not like his book or his column, but the OTT spite and bile directed at the bloke on here seems to be born primarily out of the fact that he didn't grow up supporting the club. So what. Big deal. get over yerselves. I bet there's loads of regulars at Withdean who could say the same. And I notice nobody on here feels strongly enough to actually go on the phone-in and say what you think of him.

Yes I'd still prefer Harty doing the phone-in as well, but he's had enough, so its not like Ward elbowed him aside to grab the job is it. Give the guy a break, he's not THAT bad. All this "I'm a bigger fan of the Albion than you" knobsize comparisons are getting tiresome. Petty and pointless.

I started out replying in a similar way but couldn't be bothered-thanks for doing it for me. Makes you wonder how some of our fans expect to fill Falmer being as welcoming as they are towards new supporters.

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
Mike is a decent man, loves his family and is actually very funny. Don't listen to the phone in any more as I like to remember it from the days of Ian 'sex Bomb' Hart, so I can't comment.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Makes you wonder how some of our fans expect to fill Falmer being as welcoming as they are towards new supporters.
My view entirely. Some of the club's most ardent supporters and passionate campaigners (stand up, Lord B, Roz, among others) are actually 'incomers' from way beyond Sussex. Imagine! And then think of how much benefit their efforts have brought to the Albion.

I simply fail to understand the NSC anti-Ward tendency. As far as I'm aware, Mike has only ever been positive, enthusiastic and supportive of the club's interests. And he also happens to be a pretty decent bloke. Enough already!

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Agree with Easy's post. I welcome anyone who comes over to support our club - they're clearly not glory hunters - and you don't have to know every twist and turn of the club's history to run a phone-in otherwise it all becomes a bit introverted and up its own backside. He may not be a great broadcaster but he's keen, willing and able so cut him some slack.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I simply fail to understand the NSC anti-Ward tendency. As far as I'm aware, Mike has only ever been positive, enthusiastic and supportive of the club's interests. And he also happens to be a pretty decent bloke. Enough already!

As are thousands of others. However he is presenting a phone in, but is so dull. The presenter should have some charisma.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As are thousands of others. However he is presenting a phone in, but is so dull. The presenter should have some charisma.

Who do you want, Paxman ?
Its a local radio lower-division football phone-in following the trials and tribulations of a crap football team at the arse-end of the third division, listened to by a few hundred cranks, scarfers and anoraks scattered across the county who have no lives. And yes I'm one of them. Frankly I'm amazed the BBC even bother.

Anyway, the phone-in isnt about the host, its about the callers. I don't tune in to hear Mike Wards views on the game, he's just the presenter who chivvies things along and presses the buttons. I tune in to hear people as sad as I am gobbing off about this poxy team.

You want charisma, put your Neil Diamond cd on.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Paxman would be great! but not sure we would get him. Good suggestion though.

Actually accepting (begrudgingly) that Hart will not return I would rather have Comedy Steve do it every week with John Byrne. Or what about tempting Des Lynam into the role?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Well I thought it was a pretty decent show to be honest and had no problem with him at all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Paxman would be great! but not sure we would get him. Good suggestion though.

Actually accepting (begrudgingly) that Hart will not return I would rather have Comedy Steve do it every week with John Byrne. Or what about tempting Des Lynam into the role?

Lynam would be the DREAM ticket, but I doubt very much the Beeb would shell out the kind of cash he'd be commanding just for a local radio phone-in with a miniscule audience. And Des doesn't seem to put himself out for us much these days (watering cans excepted).

I really like John Byrne (in fact I LOVE him - he's my all time favourite Albion player). He speaks an awful lot of sense and is a terrific co-host on the phone in. Would have no problem with him doing the show.

But I honestly don't think Ward does a bad job, and certainly doesn't deserve the dogs abuse he gets on here.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
er Norman Cook used to support a team called crystal Palace and he dont get a slagging like Ward - If he is boring dont listen and dont buy a programme, but we will need to fill Falmer and then will all the Man U, Chelsea, Spurs tops currently walking round Sussex be turned away at the turnstiles should they fancy watching a 'local' club.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

Des Lynam for a tinpot phone-in listened to by, what, 10-20,000 people?

I think your expectations are somewhat skewed.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I reckon Des would do it. He is virtually retired now so must be looking for some kind of outlet.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
er Norman Cook used to support a team called crystal Palace and he dont get a slagging like Ward - If he is boring dont listen and dont buy a programme, but we will need to fill Falmer and then will all the Man U, Chelsea, Spurs tops currently walking round Sussex be turned away at the turnstiles should they fancy watching a 'local' club.

Yep but Norman Cook is cool, Mike Ward is not.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Don't listen to the phone in any more as I like to remember it from the days of Ian 'sex Bomb' Hart, so I can't comment.

While I too don't bother with the phone-any more for the same reasons, like many others on here, I utterly disagree with the total OTT slating of Ward. Give the guy a break, he's thrown his hat into the ring with the Albion and that's good enough for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here