Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky settling in on opening line-up?

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Kuipers (Though We Should Concentrate On Getting Southall Out Of Retirement)

Whing
Elphick
Virgo
Richards

Cox
Thomson
Fogden - We Need Fight In Midfield. This Kid Fought CANCER
McLeod

Gatting - He Always Seems To Be In The Right Place At The Right Time
Robinson - Pace To Burn

Yep. But we have better strength in depth, I think now.

Which we would have had with Wilkins - except some of that strength in depth would not include Mayo and Hart.

So, the hope for this season is that the manager's decisions and training will make the difference.

On last night's performance though, the team are streets behind Championship class, as they tore into our PACKED defence innumerable times in the first half and should have scored a hat-full.
When they played a weakened squad second-half, we basically drew 2-2.

I seriously believe that Lynch and Elphick are over-rated by many on here, as they were lightweight and ineffective as a defensive partnership. Richards still looks fairly solid thankfully, but then he was up against familiar faces too.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I didn't go to last night's game, but good to see so many people agreeing with my comment after the Charlton game that ElAbd should play in central midfield.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Livermore will be in the top three of this season's player of the year.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
'Livermore the new hate figure'? Where do you get this stuff from?

He wasn't ineffective because he didn't get forward - he was ineffective because he neither got forward, got back, nor got stuck in. Many of the problems in the first-half were because he provided no cover for the two centre-backs, left them hopelessly exposed, and under constant threat.

There were three or four occasions where your hero (and mine) FDM got us out of gaol with saves and double-saves, and by the time the ball was caught or cleared, Livermore and Thomson were seen finally merrily trotting back into the area.

As for El-Abd playing ahead of Livermore in that role, at present, it ought to be a nailed-on cert. I'm sure Livermore is much better than that - it's just that during the pre-season games I've seen him play, he's got nowhere near proving it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As for last night, and all of pre-season, I don't really care. He's just been brought into the club, he's got a proven track record of success with clubs better than ours, and he'll get his chance to make the shirt his own. If he doesn't then, in a couple of months, I may well be agreeing with you. But, I'm not going to pay any attention to a few lacklustre performances in micky mouse games, because if I did then there are about 5 of our top players you could consider leaving out (Murray, Cox, Virgo, and Whing off the top of my head have done nothing this pre-season) but to consider leaving a big signing out of the team for the FIRST game in favour of jokers like El Abd is just obscene.

Pre-season friendlies are vital in all aspects aside, possibly, from the result. Otherwise, what's the point in having them?

Obscene it might be, but if, at a time when all of the playing squad need to be ready for the season, and there are those who clearly aren't, you choose your best team, not necessarily your biggest signings.

I speak as I find. I have seen him play three times, and three times the midfield has been found severely wanting. In each case, a different midfield has played, and played much better. Livermore has, on present form, not done much to show he should command a first-team place, and he should not presume a first-team place just because others consider him a big signing.

I care not one jot for his track record - at present, he's playing like a muppet.

Last edited:

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
last night was the first time i had seen livermore and whilst not going to pan the guy on strength of one game he did not impress me either in midfield or left back but will be patient for him to find feet. However i have to say that we were much better in 2nd half last night when AeA moved into midfield, a lot of breaking up their play and was it not his pass to mcloud for 2nd goal in what was a lovely well worked goal, but surely whoever plays there should get full support whether he's your favourite or not IMO AeA did a good enough job there last night to warrant a starting place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here