Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky settling in on opening line-up?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Virgo surely on the bench.

I don't particularly rate Livermore of Thomson and worry neither has the drive to push forward. I do think playing them together would limit our style of play too much.

QUOTE]

Do you ever talk sense or watch a game? The man that made most runs into their box in the first half and also most runs into our box to defend was Thomson, you know that little fellow wearing a No 8 shirt. He was very unlucky not to get on the end of one of McLeods crosses and I am sure that he will score a few goals next season.

Livermore was caught out for pace for the 2nd penalty but then I think most defenders would have been so I will not hold that against him.

I thought that all round it was a very encouraging performance and I am sure that we are at last begining to work together. One of the plus points was that the platyers wanted to win hence the grief that Forster gave both the ref and lino for their poor decisions, very encouraging. I would be quite happy to play the team that started against Crewe in 2 weeks time.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
One of the plus points was that the platyers wanted to win hence the grief that Forster gave both the ref and lino for their poor decisions

good to see him resuming normal service by appearing to shout at and completely ignoring white as well

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Yep, good one, let's criticise a bloke who's never played a competitive game for us and has more footballing pedigree than the rest of our midfield combined:clap:
You feeling ok badger? i had to double check the poster after reading that post

:lolol:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
was Thomson, you know that little fellow wearing a No 8 shirt. [/QUOTE]

this bit did make me laugh,i think tommo does get a lot of undue stick on here

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we start with El-Abd in midfield then forget about promotion.

He is a defender, he thinks like a defender, it is in his blood. He is neither a goalscorer, a defence-splitter, a winger or a dribbler.

Sure, he's worth his place in the squad - as a defender - but if he's in midfield we're basically playing with 5 at the back which, if we're at home, I don't fancy watching all that much.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton

He is a defender, he thinks like a defender, it is in his blood. He is neither a goalscorer, a defence-splitter, a winger or a dribbler.

Sure, he's worth his place in the squad - as a defender - but if he's in midfield we're basically playing with 5 at the back which, if we're at home, I don't fancy watching all that much.

What even with the wing backs and Thompson pushing forward???

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Surely by having Adam (El-Abd) in midfield it will make it harder for our opponents to get into the last third of the field, by virtue of his hard tackling and somewhat combative approach to the game, I will be happy with that if it means more of the game is played nearer the opposition goal and not ours.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

Oatway was none of these things either but I seem to remember winning a couple of promotions with him at the spine of our midfield.

With Thomson pushing forward and making late runs into the box we will have a very good balance with El Abd in a more holding role.

Was interesting to see how much Whing was getting forward last night. Seems to be being encouraged to make runs down the wing a lot more (though we will need cover at RB for when he is inevitably suspended!)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having only seen the Worthing game so far can someone tell me how the team is playing, stylewise, in comparison to last season. Are we starting like the home team at Withdean and going for the opposition or sitting back and starting slowly like we did most of last season. Long ball or ball through the midfield and building. Full backs getting forward or staying back in attack etc etc??

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I would start Thomson in the middle purely because I think, although he does get caught in possession at times, at this stage he is more settled into the team and has at least been tried in the more offensive position we need filling.

Just no idea who I would play with him...

Tommy Fraser :yahoo:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
El Abd was decent last year in midfield but surely if we go with your suggested line up we are worse of than than last year in midfield

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
El Abd was decent last year in midfield but surely if we go with your suggested line up we are worse of than than last year in midfield

To be honest I think it depends on the tactics used. Last season Thomson, whoever played alongside him, played very defensively. Last night he was joining in the attack at every opportunity. As a result a central combination of him and El Abd looks good to me. Also the addition of McLeod has improved the midfield compared to last year.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nice to see you resort to insults as usual.

You were criticising him earlier so don't try and claim it's all based on tonight's game. Let's just wait and see how new players cope in our division shall we? Or shall we just not use them from the start because they didn't OWN the friendlies?

Well spotted. Of course I wasn't just judging him on the Ipswich game. I never did try and claim that.

Livermore has played in the first half of three games, and he has hit a level of consistency straight away - ineffective. Each time he has been replaced, it has been by someone who has done a better job.

I am hopeful of him playing superbly this season, but on the evidence so far, he needs to buck his ideas up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

We could argue about this until Hell freezes over, but I just can't agree, and I feel quite strongly about that. For me, El-Abd looks extremely comfortable in the centre of midfield, in the holding role. The midfield looked far more solid in the second half last night with El-Abd there.

He's fine in defence, but he is much better in midfield. He played superbly last night, breaking up attacking play, 'thinking like a defender', and allowing Thomson to move forward.

He might have started as a defender, but for me, he is definitely a (albeit defensive-minded) midfielder.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
We could argue about this until Hell freezes over, but I just can't agree, and I feel quite strongly about that. For me, El-Abd looks extremely comfortable in the centre of midfield, in the holding role. The midfield looked far more solid in the second half last night with El-Abd there.

He's fine in defence, but he is much better in midfield. He played superbly last night, breaking up attacking play, 'thinking like a defender', and allowing Thomson to move forward.

He might have started as a defender, but for me, he is definitely a (albeit defensive-minded) midfielder.

Agreed.

With Thomson being encouraged to attack more and Cox and Mcleod being attack minded we need a defensive central midfielder. For me El Abd fills the role very well (and on what I've seen so far better than Livermore).

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm not sure if this thread is :lolol: or :jester:.

The only person seemed to be watching the same game as me was BensGrandad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here