Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky Adams' fantastic tactical decisions this year (in no particular order)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
22. Playing Forster when 50% fit and meaning he was then out for a long time

23. and this is controversial, leaving Loft pretty much out in the cold since he showed real promise vs Man City

24. Defensive substitutions....someone else can list the exact details

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why do people keep coming up with this 'red herring' about signing Mayo and Hart. Their resigning has had no affect on our current situation or results but if anybody can offer me proof that signing them has stopped or hindered MA signing other players then I will accept it but until then to me it is just rubbish and just something else to beat MA with.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
1. Micky Adams signs two central defenders despite the fact we already have two of the best central defenders in League One.

2. Re-signs Kerry Mayo.

3. Re-signs Gary Hart.

4. Adam Virgo played on the RIGHT WING against Cheltenham.

5. Colin Hawkins rushed back from a HERNIA operation to play in central defence - we lose 4-1 to Scunthorpe.

6. Livermore played left wing and left back despite playing his whole career as a centre midfielder.

7. Adam Virgo played CENTRAL MIDFIELD.

8. Robbie Savage - who has spent his whole career as a defensive midfielder - is played alongside defensive midfielders in every game he plays (Thomson, El-Abd etc) forcing him to play a totally unnatural game to what he's used to.

9. Joel Lynch shipped out to Nottingham Forest.

10. Kevin Thornton benched for FOUR consecutive games, despite STUNNING debut against Cheltenham.

11. Colin Hawkins keeps place in team GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME despite catalogue of errors.

and tonight, just to cap it off.....

12. Stuart Fleetwood (centre forward) played LEFT WING.

13. Bradley Johnson (left footed centre midfielder) played RIGHT WING.

14. Colin Hawkins brought back into central defence to break up promising Elphick/Virgo partnership.

All this - in just FOUR months. FOURTEEN of the most bafflingly awful, breathtakingly incompetent, gut-wrenchingly stupid tactical decisions I have EVER seen by a Brighton manager in my 19 years of supporting the Brighton, crammed into a mere four sorry months of the season.

And some of you still think he's GOOD?

:shootself

Superb post. Spot on!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Why has it changed so much and become so hard? Last season we knew what we had to do, get the ball wide, cross the ball in the box and anything within 10 yards of goal Murray and Forster would put in the net.

This year, we keep trying other tactics, and none of them work.

This season Murray and Forster have to create their own chances, instead of thriving off the services of others. They are working harder than ever. It maybe turning them into better all round players, but its taking away what the do best - sticking the round thing in the netty thing.

It is obvious to 99% fans at least, so why cant the manager work on it. A left footed winger on the left wing, a right footed winger on the right wing. And teach them to cross a ball on the run.

Don’t stick in a defender, striker or central midfielder, they are all experiments that have failed miserably.

Stop the players trying to be Arsenal and walk the ball in, they are not that good.

So many basic errors from the manager, ones that are EASILY changed, and would turn our season around

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Why has it changed so much and become so hard? Last season we knew what we had to do, get the ball wide, cross the ball in the box and anything within 10 yards of goal Murray and Forster would put in the net.

This year, we keep trying other tactics, and none of them work.

This season Murray and Forster have to create their own chances, instead of thriving off the services of others. They are working harder than ever. It maybe turning them into better all round players, but its taking away what the do best - sticking the round thing in the netty thing.

It is obvious to 99% fans at least, so why cant the manager work on it. A left footed winger on the left wing, a right footed winger on the right wing. And teach them to cross a ball on the run.

Don’t stick in a defender, striker or central midfielder, they are all experiments that have failed miserably.

Stop the players trying to be Arsenal and walk the ball in, they are not that good.

So many basic errors from the manager, ones that are EASILY changed, and would turn our season around

They would be easily changed if MA actually decided to play.....a right footed right back, a left footed left back, 2 central defenders...Virgo/Elphick maybe, a left footed left winger who can cross a ball, a right footed right winger who can cross a ball, 2 central midfielders.....one maybe a ball winning holding player with an eye for a good pass and one who can push forward and maybe get us 10 -12 goals, and 2 good strikers....who can score us 30 plus goals a season between them.
Now...do we have all these available in our squad at the moment.....i think we may do. So what is the f***ing problem!!!!!! ( ok maybe not a 10-12 goal midfielder)
Its a bit like the Eric Morcambe piano joke....'Playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order'

Come on Mickey sort it out!!!!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not a tactical mistake as such...but his comment that Stockport were a "bigger side than us because they are all over 6ft" sounds to me like BLEATING.

We did ok last season against "bigger" sides, Wilkins also acknowledged this was a problem and would probably addressed it in the close season, so why the f*** hasnt Mickey till now?

Why do people keep coming up with this 'red herring' about signing Mayo and Hart. Their resigning has had no affect on our current situation or results but if anybody can offer me proof that signing them has stopped or hindered MA signing other players then I will accept it but until then to me it is just rubbish and just something else to beat MA with.

So you think that re-signing them was a good management decision, a positive for our season and a clever use of our wage budget then? Yes?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Great thread. Why not slag off the whole team in one go. While we are at it shall we write to the FA and apply to be in League 2 next season and give up for the season.

I know this site is about having an opinion but pretty much slagging off everyone is ridiculous.

Not at all. There are many players in the Brighton set-up at the moment who I absolutely love. Glenn Murray and Nicky Forster are two of my favourite Brighton players in the last 15-20 years. There are others as well who I enjoy watching. I wasn't slagging off the likes of Savage, Virgo or Livermore - I was complaining about how dreadfully they have been used. Livermore is a top class player at this level, but has been shunted around like a youth teamer.

In fact, I don't think there's a player in the squad who I particularly dislike. Even Hawkins could've been okay if Adams hadn't destroyed his morale by rushing him back from surgery weeks before he was ready. I'm a big fan of Virgo, but as a centre back not a right winger. Mayo and Hart are HEROES but they should have been allowed to gracefully slip into the lower leagues not using up wages here.

I challenge you to find one thread on this site where I have laid into an INDIVIDUAL Brighton player in the way that some idiots on here have scapegoated Murray, Savage, Kuipers etc this year.

Last edited:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
22. Playing Forster when 50% fit and meaning he was then out for a long time

23. and this is controversial, leaving Loft pretty much out in the cold since he showed real promise vs Man City

24. Defensive substitutions....someone else can list the exact details

El-Abd on for Thornton when we were 3-2 up against Cheltenham. :thud:

And you are spot on about Loft by the way....

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
He played Virgs and Elphick together against a small but mobile pair of Huddersfield strikers. Then split up the partnership and brought back the less powerful (and inept) Hawkins against the bigger and stronger Stockport strikers. Then MA complained that we couldn't cope with Stockport's height advantage.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
So you think that re-signing them was a good management decision, a positive for our season and a clever use of our wage budget then? Yes?

Agree totally, my uneducated guess is that we are paying £100 000 over the course of the year for these two. That equates to 200 season tickets.
I do have a bit of a gripe that knight does seem to have a jobs for the boys thing as fairly recently he has re-employed Adams, Brooker, Hart, Mayo, Oatway, Watson, Butters in differing roles. Some may deserve it but others must be laughing all the way to the bank!

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
You're right - that screwed us up for that game didn't it.

We had a massive slice of luck in that game. The scored could have been anything and they should have had a pen. We also scored 2 long range shots which are going to happen very rarely.

Turning up to a game with a bench of 3 holding midfielders and 2 wingers is crazy...

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
We had a massive slice of luck in that game. The scored could have been anything and they should have had a pen. We also scored 2 long range shots which are going to happen very rarely.

Turning up to a game with a bench of 3 holding midfielders and 2 wingers is crazy...

But we've also been unlucky in other games. You can't pass some wins off as getting lucky, if criticism is made of him when he's unlucky i.e. Saturday

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

complete and utter waste of wages, that could be spent elsewhere.

same goes for white and booker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here