sam86

Feb 18, 2009
2008/9 season,
Newcastle Utd,
Michael Owen,
Games Started: 29,
Goals Scored: 14.

I repeat: Newcastle Utd.

Almost 50%, in that team, having a stop start season, is pretty bloody good.

He still has IT.

On a free transfer, pay as you play or pretty average wage, he'd be a great signing for Sir Alex.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
this sort of comment really is comical. even in his injury impacted years, often as a wide player in a front 3, he still managed better than 1 goal in 3. if any of those three can afford him you can be sure a better club can and will sign him. maybe past his best, but at 29 could easily spend another 5 years in the premiership. who ever signs him will bascially be buying 10 goals, and that assuming he doesnt improve his fitness.

...but who does he score his goals against? It isnt the top sides is it? His days as a top draw striker are long gone.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
...but who does he score his goals against? It isnt the top sides is it? His days as a top draw striker are long gone.

Yes, because he should take it round the entire Chelsea team and knock it in the top corner himself.

Will Newcastle get as many chances for Owen to score against Chelsea as they would West Brom? No.

You have to remember who he was playing for...

Stumpy Tim

Whether you think he's past it or not (and I definitely don't) I don't see why this is a gamble for United? This is a club that spend 18m on Nani & 21m on Anderson (or was it the other way round?). To snap up a player with Owen's goalscoring history on a free is not a gamble whatever way you look at it. It's tidy business

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Whether you think he's past it or not (and I definitely don't) I don't see why this is a gamble for United? This is a club that spend 18m on Nani & 21m on Anderson (or was it the other way round?). To snap up a player with Owen's goalscoring history on a free is not a gamble whatever way you look at it. It's tidy business

Stumpy, will you ever post anything i disagree with. Spot on as always!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...but who does he score his goals against?

the same opposition as the top four or anyone else play against. how often is it the mediocre teams that hold out against the top teams, that instinct for goal might be the difference between 0-0 and 0-1 on a tuesday evening at Stoke. add the better team and managment (Newcastle have been shit for couple of years given the signings), and i think you'll see a different and better player.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Good Deal and cracking back up for both Berbatov and Rooney!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, because he should take it round the entire Chelsea team and knock it in the top corner himself.

Will Newcastle get as many chances for Owen to score against Chelsea as they would West Brom? No.

You have to remember who he was playing for...

You'll cling on to anything wont you? Or have you been seduced by the glossy brochure.

Let's see but I predict a single figure tally for next season plagued by injury.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the same opposition as the top four or anyone else play against. how often is it the mediocre teams that hold out against the top teams, that instinct for goal might be the difference between 0-0 and 0-1 on a tuesday evening at Stoke. add the better team and managment (Newcastle have been shit for couple of years given the signings), and i think you'll see a different and better player.

I dont recall last season's goals coming against top class opponents.

Anyways, let's wait and see. I predict a single figure goal haul in a season plagued by injury. If I'm wrong then please come back and remind me.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Let's be fair here, he is an average premiership striker joining what's shaping up to be an average premiership side.:laugh:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
why would man utd need owen

Because they've just got rid of Ronaldo and Tevez who probably contributed something like 40 goals between them to the cause last season.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think he would be great at Man U... there medical setup will undoubtabley be better than Newcastles and Owen will benefit from lots decent crosses. As somebody said earlier Sheringham and Larsson both seemed like bizarre decisions at the time and they both worked out.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Flip side to this is, Owen and Rooney form a partnership that works and not only do Man Utd prove the doubters wrong but we also have a striking partnership that is tried and trusted for the World Cup next summer.

Of course it's a gamble, but if anyone can make a sound judgement it's Fergie, the key to this will be an incentive based salary, where Owen will have to perform rather than sit on a guaranteed income and secondly the huge incentive of a place in Englands world cup squad, something that only a high profile move like this will give him any oppurtunity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here