Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Message to Gus: Wrong decision re Murray today

IMHO Murray not starting was wrong, however, I see the logic of trying out Wood and Barnes together, we have not seen them start yet. As it happens they did seem to get each other, but nothing as good as the Wood/Murray show which has netted a load of goals recently.

Barnes has a job to do, as he showed at Exeter, but unless he is covering an injury/suspension, I think Barnes needs to get used to starting matches on the bench.

As for Murray's contract............... I guess he is a player Gus wants at the club whether in L1 of Championship next season, so talks about wages might be difficult right now. Maybe in a month or 2 we can be more sure of the division we will be playing in?

New striker.....??? We need a Champ quality striker as we will be in the Champ next year. Lets get him now and swallow a few months extra wages.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
I think gus knows he f@@@ed up yeterday, ok we got away we are still 3 points clear, start with murray on tuesday night win the game and all will be well again!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think gus knows he f@@@ed up yeterday, ok we got away we are still 3 points clear, start with murray on tuesday night win the game and all will be well again!

It won't be as easy as that. Colchester are very good at parking 10 men behind the ball. The strikers are going to have to do something special to break them down.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Looking at all the posts on here it appears everyone agrees that the decision to leave Murray on the bench was a wrong one and probably cost us three points.

Gus's comment about "I know Murray" makes no sense whatsoever. If there's a real problem of some kind then he would not have been on the bench. And when he came on everyone agrees we looked a much better team, so clearly there's no issue with his motivation.

He is probably our best striker since Bobby. Without him we look a lot less like winning games.

Sort out his new contract and get him back in the starting line-up.

Gus, you're a real hero, but on this issue why not just admit you made a wrong decision. We all make mistakes and you're permitted one.

Have you thought that I know Murray was used as in he can't play every game and Gus wanted to give him a break to prevent burn out, had we won without starting Murray, would there even be a thread like this???

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Gus said that we only see Muzza on matchday and he sees him all week so has more info to base his selection on. Surely it's the match performance that is the critical thing whether a player trains well or not. I am convinced we would have won with Muzza in yesterday and a win at Bournemouth was more important that the result against Colchester

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I don't know why everyone has become so worked up about yesterday. As I see it, it was just one of those days. We were a bit slow, a bit complacent, not urgent enough. They were really up for it, wanted it more and were the more effective team on the day. In terms of the Murray omission, there are games coming thick and fast and as people have said Wood and Barnes were hardly in bad form going into the game. If we lose on Tuesday then yes there is maybe cause for concern, but you can't get too wound up about the result considering our league position

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I belive Murray was left on bench yesterday so Gus could have a good look at Barnes and Wood, together in a big game. He knows Murray is the best striker at the club and in hindsight im sure Gus would have not done it. I think all Gus was doing was trying to convince himself that the strikers we have may be good enough for the run in. The simple answer is without Murray we a pretty toothless up front and if he leaves or gets injured, then our season could fall apart in front of our eyes. All I think yesterday done was make Poyet's mind up that we do need another striker and quick, I expect one to arrive very quickly after yesterday.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
I belive Murray was left on bench yesterday so Gus could have a good look at Barnes and Wood, together in a big game. He knows Murray is the best striker at the club and in hindsight im sure Gus would have not done it. I think all Gus was doing was trying to convince himself that the strikers we have may be good enough for the run in. The simple answer is without Murray we a pretty toothless up front and if he leaves or gets injured, then our season could fall apart in front of our eyes. All I think yesterday done was make Poyet's mind up that we do need another striker and quick, I expect one to arrive very quickly after yesterday.

This. Gus has always tried to give players he's not sure about a bit of a run in the team so that he can make up his mind. He'll know now that Barnsey is a goalscorer but his all round game does not compare with Murray, who wins most headers, holds the ball up better and wins those free kicks. Sadly yesterday every time the ball went forward it came straight back, and not just from Barnes.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Gus is bound to be taking note of what the fans thought of his decision to leave GM on the bench. We're obviously much better qualified than he is - since we are all blessed with the double-barrelled beauty of blissful ignorance & hindsight.

Smashing.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
A lot of fans believe that Murry changed the game, he didnt, it was Murry, Dicker & Kiskishev who changed the game. I do believe however that had Murry started, we would have won this game. Barnes and Wood together as a partnership in this match were abismal.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Disappointing result but no 2-0 at Tranmere or 4-0 at Orient was it ?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Gus is not God.He makes mistakes like any other mortal and this being a fans' forum his decisions will be questioned if results do not go our way.All this 'you are not allowed to question Gus 'cos he knows more than you etc.' really is a load of bollocks on a football forum.Get real some of you,this what a fans' forum is about.
Personally I was astonished Murray did not start and no we don't know what goes on behind the scenes,so we have to start from what we do know.....Murray has been playing really well,we have won x number of games in a row so why on earth change the line up? Fair enough to have a view different to Gus on this occasion,I reckon.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Does anyone remember the furore when Mullery (quite frequently) put Peter Ward on the subs bench, preferring a starting strike force of Maybank and Poskett...? If only NSC had been around then....

Remember it well and my heart always sank as I took my seat!Poskett was an honest tryer who sometimes came good and Maybank was played 'cos Mullers paid so much for him.Far too much as it happens.He was a disaster after the Spider Wardy partnership!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here