Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mentioning and tagging users

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not on Facebook so I'm guessing none of this applies to me? In other words are the notifications all driven by Facebook and not NSC?
Ignore me. I assumed this was a feature you'd see since linking from FB. I'm now on a PC (I posted from my phone earlier on) and can see what the notifications are.

So yeah, I'd quite like to know how to turn them off now.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ignore me. I assumed this was a feature you'd see since linking from FB. I'm now on a PC (I posted from my phone earlier on) and can see what the notifications are.

So yeah, I'd quite like to know how to turn them off now.

So ... how can we switch the feature off?
Actually it's not THAT bad, it doesn't send jaunty little emails out, it just, as Bozza, mentioned in his reply to Dave, racks up a load of entries in a 'Notifications' section which you can see at the top of the page. I'll treat it like a sticky, e.g. as part of the header, and ignore it.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Nurse!!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So ... how can we switch the feature off?

You can't. Why would you want to?

I can't see it being used more than a couple of times a day - I doubt most users will go weeks without receiving a single notification.

If, having been in place for a while, it turns out to bring little value then I'll simply decommission it.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
You can't. Why would you want to?

I can't see it being used more than a couple of times a day - I doubt most users will go weeks without receiving a single notification.

If, having been in place for a while, it turns out to bring little value then I'll simply decommission it.

So what is the "Follow @NorthStandChat" at the top of your posts meant to do? It just takes me to the twitter home page.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I think it's a good idea on a forum as big as this. I only post sporadically, and forget where. I've just had a notification that someone quoted a post (a question I asked on a thread), I clicked on the notification and was taken straight to the answer I asked for.

I'd already forgotten I'd posted the fooking thing! It's an asset for this place, where 90% of posted stuff isn't of interest to me

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So what is the "Follow @NorthStandChat" at the top of your posts meant to do? It just takes me to the twitter home page.

Indeed. That is supposed to be a little twitter picture with a link direct to NSC's Twitter feed, but I only got part way through the install before I left for work this morning.

It is available to all users - you need to enter your Twitter name in your profile where prompted. I wasn't going to formally announce it until it was working properly.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i would also like to be able to turn this off

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i would also like to be able to turn this off

As I've said: you can't. So there.

Your response seems curious given you've not been mentioned or tagged yet so actually have no idea if it will be worthwhile for you personally.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's not that bad, if it emailed you everytime you'd been quoted that would be annoying.
Yeah, that's what worried me. I've seen the amount of crap that my wife gets sent by Facebook every time she gets tagged or zapped or whatever and I didn't want that. This enhancement doesn't do that, it seems quite unobtrusive, so fair enough. Plus some people have said it makes NSC better for them so again, fair enough.

Off to find something else I can complain about now!

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
[MENTION=11191]Das Reich[/MENTION] is an idiot

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I like this, good idea!!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
this is all very WANK IMO, cant we just have a messageboard as a messegaboard without all this extra GUFF branded about? I've now got notifications appearing that I really dont give a shit about....turn it all off and resort back to the NORMAL I say!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't see what the problem is, it's more or less just quoting but for lazy people right?
Being notified means you won't miss any responses to your posts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here