Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MCnulty is he any good?

Tarntyke

Jun 22, 2011
Morning All,

Barnsley fan here, theres reports up here that we are signing Mcnulty from you guys.

just wondered if he was any good? any opinions on him would be welcome.

all the best for next year folks

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, IF you can get him fit. That's the issue, not ability.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
When we signed him, he turned into one of the fans favourites... an attack minded left back & was compared to some of the best left backs we've had at BHAFC.

However, he was injured VERY seriously (he ended up in intensive care), and hasn't really been the same since. To be fair to him, his chances have been limited since the injury and if he recaptured his early form with us, he would be a brilliant signing for you. We have Marcos Painter so he's unlikely to get a look in here.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Cult hero - lovely guy from a lovely family. Oh and he can play football too!

Started well with us but got a knee in the back and lost a kidney as a result then when back fit he was plagued with an ankle injury (spur on the bone I think). Never quite got back to full fitness and made the mistake of saying to Gus Poyet that he would rather go out on loan than play second fiddle to Marcos Painter who we had brought in meanwhile. Would have signed for Scunny had they stayed up after being there on long term loan. Certainly up to Championship standard as a starting full back which isn't going to happen here while we have Painter. I suspect you will get him on the cheap and I promise you will be delighted.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Definitely got the ability, really good player, but losing his kidney really knocked him back (understandably) and the few chances he got after that he was (again understandably) a little hesitant in tacking and didn't look too comfortable. Don't see him getting much of a look in here unfortunately and so I really hope he does get a move away to try and reignite his career, he certainly deserves it.

Tarntyke

Jun 22, 2011
brilliant! cheers lads, much appreciated.

we have only one fit left back james mceveley who i honestly dont rate.

whats mcnulty like defending wise?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
brilliant! cheers lads, much appreciated.

we have only one fit left back james mceveley who i honestly dont rate.

whats mcnulty like defending wise?

decent, willing to put in his shift and passes the ball well

like others have said no qualms about his defensive abilities , just the lads abit unfortunate when it has come to injuries (he's hardly a sicknote but he's picked up some nasty ones whilst playing for us)

be a shame to see him go but just hope he does it for you guys.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It feels like he stopped being a Brighton and Hove Albion players a long time ago, probably better asking Scunthorpe fans what he's like although I'm not sure he got that many games for them.

Average in defence and decent going forward but main issues is his fitness.

Tarntyke

Jun 22, 2011
where do you think you guys will finish next year then?
i will look out for your results because i think poyets a class act

Jul 20, 2003
tough cookie, walking off of the pitch with a mashed kidney is the definition of hard

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
where do you think you guys will finish next year then?
i will look out for your results because i think poyets a class act

I'd be very happy with top half. It's scary looking at the fixtures though as there are no obviously easy games. Our chairman is aiming for the top 6, and seems to be backing Gus financially so we will have to wait & see.

How about you?

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Always liked McNulty but can`t help thinking he wasn`t the best defender.
He got beaten too easily and conceded too many crosses, not a par on Painter which is why Poyet`s hardly ever played him.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
if and its a big if he is fully fit i cant understand why we are letting him go , a quality player who although we signed as a left back i believe, seems more at home in the oppositions half , before his injury he was a breath of fresh air , a player crowds enjoyed to watch ect , the only downside to his game back then was he often got stranded in his willingness to get forward so much. Im not convinced Poyet would be willing to let Jimmy go looking at our current squad its a bit lightwieght defensively , but if you do land a fully fit Mcnulty i reckon he will do ok in the championship , whatever happens the guy deserves a bit of luck and stay or go i wish him well .

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I think physically he's lacking and that's why Gus isn't sure about him. He played against Villa in the cup and was outjumped and overpowered by Ashley Young in the air! Still like to see him given a chance with us though.

Tarntyke

Jun 22, 2011
the bookies have us down to be relegated as usual! lol but im optimistic now keith hills took over, so we will wait and see if we can play as good as he talks lol.

i'll stcik my neck out and say a suprise 12th!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here