Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLaren may of found their lost Button

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
see what I did there? clever....anyway:

Jenson Button has visited the McLaren headquarters in Woking as doubts continue over who the world champion will be driving for next season.

Button and his manager Richard Goddard were given a tour by McLaren chief Martin Whitmarsh, BBC Sport confirmed.

A McLaren spokesman said: "Having just landed at Heathrow, Jenson made a small detour to Woking to say a quick hello."

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Button mulls over move to McLaren

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
:laugh:

Seriously though, I like Button and he is a decent driver but he is not in Hamilton's class.

Well, at the very least it would allow some of the 'debate' on the subject to be put to bed.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Not a surprise really, I think it was a done deal as soon as it became clear that Brawn were being taken over by Mercedes. I wonder if Button has known of this for a while, and that was why he was stalling on a new deal?

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Not a surprise really, I think it was a done deal as soon as it became clear that Brawn were being taken over by Mercedes. I wonder if Button has known of this for a while, and that was why he was stalling on a new deal?

Probably was 'tapped-up' halfway through the season, I would have thought.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If it happens there will be a nice balance in the McClaren team. A driver in the Prost mould who drives smoothly and looks after his car and a driver more in the Mansell mode who seems to lose his brain occasionally whilst thrilling the crowd driving the nuts off the car. Hamilton will NOT piss all over Button..imo. Gonna be really interesting.

Thanks Christ they've given Hamilton some competition in the team and got shot of Kovalainen

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Probably was 'tapped-up' halfway through the season, I would have thought.
Well, that is very possible... after all Alonso allegedly signed for ferrari two years ago. Tapping up seems to be commonplace in formula one, but I don't think it is illegal, especially as drivers are very rarely on contracts for more that 1 or 2 seasons.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Depends how Button, as a World Champion, adapts to not benig the senior driver there.
McLaren is ALL about Lewis

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Depends how Button, as a World Champion, adapts to not benig the senior driver there.
McLaren is ALL about Lewis

I think they'll let them race each other until they have to make a choice, exactly like they did with Hamilton and Alsonso. I think you may be confusing McClaren with Ferrari.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not really.
Lewis has been GROOMED by McLaren all his racing life since he was a kid. He's grown into it, and the team has built up around him. He's bound to hold more sway with the team than Button.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I hope the cars is not a dog, as neither have good car development or set up skills. Hamilton used Alonso's in his first year, but admitedly has got much much better over the last two years, and has really stepped up to the plate this year. Button has used Barry'cellos set-ups for most of this year!

As much as I like Button, he will end up playing second fiddle to Hamilton on pure ability!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I hope the cars is not a dog, as neither have good car development or set up skills.
!

The rule changes are pretty minimal for next year and Hamilton in McClaren ended the season as the form car. I can't see that there is any way that the car will be a dog. Fascinating driver line up and although Jenson is not the racer that Hamilton is, he is a far smoother driver with more sympathy for the car and will pick up the pieces when Hamilton overdrives the car. Hamilton will definitely prove a stiff challenge to Button but, imo, is likely to finish more races than Hamilton.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Ross Brawn never seemed to really rate Button. He did a top 5 of drivers he had worked with earlier in the year and Button was nowhere to be seen. Looks like he only offered him a 1 yr deal and Button has taken the 3yr with more cash. Can’t blame him for that. Whilst I’m not sure that beating Lewis in his own back yard is achievable, I don’t think he would have beaten Rosberg either

If were talking crystal balls I predict that

Button will finish more races.
Hamilton will do better in Quali and wins
They won’t get on, especially if Button is within a few tenths of Hamilton
Red Bull will piss the championship
Next years Ferrari will be shithouse

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The main rule change next year is doing away with re-fuelling...so no more pulling away from the pits with the hose still attached and trying to torch a following Ferrari...will be interesting to see how cars fare when they are weighed down with all that extra fuel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here