Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee's public bollocking of the team

cdavis

May 14, 2004
LOL....actually, my son plays for the minis under 7,s...and although I,m not sure I agree with Mrs.Hut, she must be right if Ernest says the opposite !!To put it bluntly Ernest,... if i,m white you,re black, If i,m chalk you,re cheese....if I,m a dick...you,re a ...???? can,t remember the word now...!

I agree with TLO in as much as it was a very symbolic moment. The refereeing conspiracy against us is creating a seige mentality and this was McGhee trying to bond us all together, management, players and fans, for a superhuman effort for these remaining last 6 games.

It was very uplifting stuff and while not compensating for this cruellist of defeats, does hearten me for the challenge ahead of us.

If we show the same faith in McGhee as he showed in us after the final whistle today, we will battle through and survive.

Today was our best away performance since the Sheffield game, more of the same spirit on Tuesday please :clap: :clap: :clap:

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
The trouble is all this bad luck weve had with the referrees decisions isnt going to get any better until after tuesdays game cos weve got that utter turd Prosser! How he`s been appointed such an important game as this, is beyond me, even if it wasnt us, he`s not fit to referee league football, let alone at this level.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
perhaps they were ashamed. didnt see the match, but soinded pretty awful. are the club to appeal about / report the ref? (CAN they?) and would it change the result..?? sometimes even ref's make mistakes or just fowl up, so its abot time they took responsibility / and face a penalty ..

Albion Dan said:
lololol Taxi for Stevie Wonder!

Is this officially the oldest joke in the world? Your ability to read a game I'd place just behind your limited imagination, Albion Dan :thumbsup:

Yoda

English & European
jezzer said:
The trouble is all this bad luck weve had with the referrees decisions isnt going to get any better until after tuesdays game cos weve got that utter turd Prosser! How he`s been appointed such an important game as this, is beyond me, even if it wasnt us, he`s not fit to referee league football, let alone at this level.

How ironic would it be if Phil Tosser won us the match?:eek:

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
London Irish said:

Today was our best away performance since the Sheffield game, more of the same spirit on Tuesday please :clap: :clap: :clap:

I totally agree. From everyone's reaction, I must have been watching a different game. We battled throughout, at times played some really good football and we were beaten by an appalling refereeing decision and a good bit of finishing. There is no way we deserved to lose that game and if we play like that for the rest of the season, I honestly believe we'll stay up.

Thought the 2 new guys did well. Phenomenal save by Blayney in the second half and thought Dolan did very well for his first match at this level for a long time - can definitely see him being a long-term replacement for DC if we can keep him after the loan period.

As for when they all came over at the end and McGhee did his 'rallying the troops' bit - worth the entry fee alone!!

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
It looked like MM was picking the boys up after a draining performance and results, the effort was certainly there but the end product was more selfish than team effort. I noticed Danny Harding clap MM after the little huddle talk and am positive this was not toward the fans but directed at what the gaffa had said.

Bruce Lee Wannabe

Nov 10, 2004
Brighton
I totally agree. From everyone's reaction, I must have been watching a different game. We battled throughout, at times played some really good football and we were beaten by an appalling refereeing decision and a good bit of finishing. There is no way we deserved to lose that game and if we play like that for the rest of the season, I honestly believe we'll stay up.

Thought the 2 new guys did well. Phenomenal save by Blayney in the second half and thought Dolan did very well for his first match at this level for a long time - can definitely see him being a long-term replacement for DC if we can keep him after the loan period.

As for when they all came over at the end and McGhee did his 'rallying the troops' bit - worth the entry fee alone!!

Absolutely agree. When we got the ball down and passed it around we looked good. More of the same and we are staying up say we are staying up!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bald Gull said:
He was dropped. New guy played well!

Not dropped, he's injured and has been for a couple of weeks

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I think a few of us were watching a different game because for me in the second half, I thought we were crap. First half we edged it, made more chances, and but for some scandalous refereeing might have been in front at half time.

The start of the second half however set the tone for the whole 45 minutes, they got an attack straight from the kick-off, and Adam Virgo's goal was the only real attack we mustered in the second-half. I also think we didn't look like we were going to hold on to a point once the subs came on, and I wasn't overly surprised when they did score the second goal.

Something is looking very dodgy about some of the refereeing displays we have seen of late though. I will temper some of the above by suggesting the players didn't have much of a chance with some of the decisions going against us, but we have to be bigger than that. Didn't go to Sheff Utd, but if that is our best away performance since then, I fear for us in a big big way.

"Crap" is OTT. We had a bad 10-minute spell in the second half when we kept giving the ball away and inviting them on to us, and Blayney was busy, but for all that, only one of his saves had to be outstanding. We also did some good things, OGH's cross-shot, Virgs goal, almost an equaliser from him, a few crosses that flashed across their goalie, one which Charlie was close to.

We have to give tactical credit to Adams, played his hand very well in the second-half with Adebola/Benjamin, we struggled to cope with their fresh legs after seeing off Goater and Dyer comfortably.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bald Gull said:
He was on the bench, wasn't he?

Yes because he was able to play with his foot injury (as he did in the last few games)

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
I thought the huddle was a way of saying we are all together. It was a great move. Knight did applaud the fans before going off, while McGhee was having a go at the ref. The performance was ok. We played the better football. Unlucky to have the goal disallowed. We were the better team in the first half. Coventry came out of the blocks quicker in the 2nd half and got given a penalty that the players could do nothing about. Then we got back in the game. Looked like we could have gone on and won the game. Micky Adams threw on 3 up front and had to go for the win that thay needed. The difference between the teams were the players Adams had at his disposal on the bench. Adebola and Benjamin are decent players and caused us problems. We replaced Mccammon with McPhee neither are match fit. I thought the performance was ok and we were unlucky not to come away with a point. However the lack of squad players and funds have done us again. They are moving out of a stadium we would love to have. We are still competing out of our depth and are doing a bloody good job to even have a chance of staying up. McGhee is doing a fantastic job. If we pull it out of the bag and stay up he deserves manager of the season.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
So interesting to read all these differing perspectives of the same game.

No one seems to have mentioned the f***ing parting of the red sea for Cov's winner. Yes, terrible terrible ref, but we only have our own ineptitude to blame for the winner. We just sat back, let him come at us for a good five/six seconds, and then watched as he had a pop. You could see it coming a mile off. If only everyone had the same grit and determination as Virgs.

BUT, come on the lads. We can pull this one out of the bag, the huddle at the end was hugely significant and I think that the boys, ref providing, will do something Tuesday night.

Last edited:

oapdodge said:
I thought the huddle was a way of saying we are all together. It was a great move. Knight did applaud the fans before going off, while McGhee was having a go at the ref. The performance was ok. We played the better football. Unlucky to have the goal disallowed. We were the better team in the first half. Coventry came out of the blocks quicker in the 2nd half and got given a penalty that the players could do nothing about. Then we got back in the game. Looked like we could have gone on and won the game. Micky Adams threw on 3 up front and had to go for the win that thay needed. The difference between the teams were the players Adams had at his disposal on the bench. Adebola and Benjamin are decent players and caused us problems. We replaced Mccammon with McPhee neither are match fit. I thought the performance was ok and we were unlucky not to come away with a point. However the lack of squad players and funds have done us again. They are moving out of a stadium we would love to have. We are still competing out of our depth and are doing a bloody good job to even have a chance of staying up. McGhee is doing a fantastic job. If we pull it out of the bag and stay up he deserves manager of the season.

Another post that sums up excellently the game I saw :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here