Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee's Championship Record

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Hardly. It's you who has yet to come up with a convincing theory why Dick Knight is backing McGhee, given that he has sacked plenty of previous underperforming managers.

Has Knight sacked plenty?

Gritt, maybe, but there was a feeling at the time that his contract would not be renewed.

Horton, left for Port Vale.

Wood, sacked.

Adams, left for Leicester.

Taylor, left.

Hinshlewood, moved sideways into his old job.

Coppell, left for Reading.

McGhee, still here.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
London Irish said:
Hardly. It's you who has yet to come up with a convincing theory why Dick Knight is backing McGhee, given that he has sacked plenty of previous underperforming managers.

Sorry Placcy, lets just say I heard it from someone who is well placed to know.

Anyway, are you sugesting that McGhee is an 'underperforming manager'

Glad to see you have come over to the dark side during my 3 week exile at Chateux Roougers.

:jester:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I hope MK Dons stay up. Bring on Danny Wilson. They were dead and buried and could just stay up next week.

Whilst I hate MK Dons its an achievement in itself as they were dead and buried months ago. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Yoda said:
Because we got lucky. You can't deny that. :glare:

Well, if winning the play-offs at the first attempt and putting together our first consecutive seasons in the second tier since 1991 was all "luck", I want more of that lucky bastard McGhee! :lolol:

Napoleon's quote about lucky generals might be relevant here, if it wasn't for the fact that managerial ability was the main factor :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rougvie said:
Sorry Placcy, lets just say I heard it from someone who is well placed to know.

Anyway, are you sugesting that McGhee is an 'underperforming manager'

Glad to see you have come over to the dark side during my 3 week exile at Chateux Roougers.

:jester:

Dodging the question! Why is Knight backing McGhee, in your informed opinion (not being sarcastic here, clearly you have some good contacts).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lets watch Magoo fall flat on his fat arse next season.

Trouble is he is taking MY football club down with him.

So progress is back where we started then is it?

I would have said progress is 4th or 5th from bottom in the CCC.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:
Has Knight sacked plenty?

Gritt, maybe, but there was a feeling at the time that his contract would not be renewed.

Horton, left for Port Vale.

Wood, sacked.

Adams, left for Leicester.

Taylor, left.

Hinshlewood, moved sideways into his old job.

Coppell, left for Reading.

McGhee, still here.

Yeah, sacking 3 out of the 7 is a good sacking rate given the remarkable success that many of those other managers have brought to the Albion.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
I would have said progress is 4th or 5th from bottom in the CCC.

Well, we had that for a time here. Did you enjoy it?

Uncle Buck said:
But only one was technically sacked, 2 if you count the fact that Gritt was not getting a new contract.

OK. Martin Hinshelwood wasn't sacked from his job as Albion manager. Gotcha.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
London Irish said:
Dodging the question! Why is Knight backing McGhee, in your informed opinion (not being sarcastic here, clearly you have some good contacts).

OK, just for those at the back, the reasons Knight (apparently) is backing McGhee.....

1. Knight's opinion is that catagorically no other manager could have done any better.
2. That McGhee deserves a punt at getting us back up, as he is capable of doing it.
3. He has always shown massive loyalty to BHAFC and has gone beyond the call of duty with the whole Falmer issue.

Now thats what was conveyed to me, doesnt mean I agree with it, but since the time I heard that I have come to the conclusion that he will not get the boot.

In a way I respect DK for his loyalty, as I have also said on a few occasions I will be backing McGhee to get us back up, however if we are not in with a shout of the play-offs by Christmas then maybe this season isn't the blip that the pro-McGhee brigade claim it to be.

We will be a big player next season make no mistake, we will have one of the biggest and noisiest away supports, we CAN compete with 90% of teams in terms of wages in that division because of our excellent financial management, our facilities are not an excuse as many clubs play in shit holes that ought to be condemmed and train in public parks but still seem to compete at that level, in a way we are too big for League 1 but not big enough for the CCC.

No excuses this time round, I cant WAIT for next season :clap:

Yoda

English & European
London Irish said:
Well, if winning the play-offs at the first attempt and putting together our first consecutive seasons in the second tier since 1991 was all "luck", I want more of that lucky bastard McGhee! :lolol:

Napoleon's quote about lucky generals might be relevant here, if it wasn't for the fact that managerial ability was the main factor :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You call that 2nd leg of the play off with Swindon tactical genius then do you? We got an extremely lucky last second equaliser.

He was defending a 1-1 draw in extra time because we were completly under the cosh. We never looked like winning that game in extra time.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Leaving all the stuff off the pitch aside I think the problem with commenting on MM is his decision making is so erratic in terms of its success. Playing Hart at RB for me was a success, playing Hammond as a midfield enforcer was not, bringing Lynch into the team was a great decision, constant changing of the forward line was not, signing McShane was a master stroke, not sorting out the striking situation in some form or other was poor.

But we all make wrong decision and I don't think a lot of managers are 100% fail proof. MM has done a decent job on the pitch considering the off field distractions and the limitations that has put on the team. However some of his decision making is very odd, but at least in terms of say Nicolas he has come out and admitted he has made a mistake.

Essentially I think MM has some very good points and some very bad, not many in between, but considering all the options and what he has achieved with us (getting us up and keeping us there for a year were great achievements whatever anyone says) he deserves a chance next year.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:
Well, we had that for a time here. Did you enjoy it?

Yes and I would have enjoyed it alot more if it were the case on the 30/04/2006

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Les Biehn said:
signing McShane was a master stroke,

Allegedly that was thru DK contacts not MM, he deserves no credit for finding him.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Allegedly that was thru DK contacts not MM, he deserves no credit for finding him.

Ok, but for playing him and getting the best out of him he does.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Can I just add I've heard the same as Fragmented Badger from a few people. The amount mentioned twice was £250,000 payoff.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Rougvie said:
OK, just for those at the back, the reasons Knight (apparently) is backing McGhee.....

3. He has always shown massive loyalty to BHAFC and has gone beyond the call of duty with the whole Falmer issue.

He has shown massive loyality because he knows this is last chance of a decent job. And he's guaranteed a job for another 2 years.

He has never got the respect from any staff at any job he's ever been at, so he knows if he gets sacked no one (championship or higher level)will take him on.

He can blame Lewes council all he wants for us getting relegated, but they did not pick midfielders in defence, centre backs at right wing etc
they did not put 2 big strikers upfront, and play the ball to their feet when they've got no touch, and drop the wingers.
they didnt even pick a 4ft2 striker upfront on his own and play long balls to him.
Surely he's not going to blame them for the dodgy tactics used, and bizarre substitutions made as well?

The relegation, in my opinion, was easily avoidable, we even played some decent football at the start of the season

Yes we got promoted with him, and yes we stayed up last season, but we are not improving as a club, no matter what the circumstances are.

Improvement is a must, and it is not being delivered!

So maybe its time to step aside and let someone else have a go. He had the biggest transfer budget probably ever in knights reign and look where it got us

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here