Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee's Championship Record

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The problem with McGhee is not that we went down but that he seemed unsure of his best players and tactics and fell out with two players too many. Signing GNW has improved the team but it doesn't look enough to stop the slide. Players knew what was expected of them under Adams and Coppell. That is no longer the case and is summed up by the poor set pieces and the lack of movement. I suspect home games aren't going to be much better nextseason even though we should pick up more points.

It's not that he is a bad manager but that he seems to have run his course at the club. Of course it was a hellishly difficult job to keep us up. But really good managers succeed against the odds and with little money eg Martin Allen.
Things will be clearer by the end of September.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Who wanted a pie chart then, championship results only

pie9ln.jpg

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
For those graph fans, yes I am bored today, there have been a few McGhee In/oUt polls recently, well here is the graph of polls, just showing the McGhee in % each time

graph5es.jpg

Edit: opps, I was going to make it a bit smaller :D :dunce: Oh well

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
mendoza10 said:
Why is his job so safe??? :censored: :angry:

Two reasons, firstly we cannot really afford to pay him off.

Second, we have a chairman who whatever anyone says about him is amazingly loyal to those who show loyalty to him.

I'm not sure I fully agree with the logic behind the latter, but I came to the conclusion before I went on holiday that we just have to live with it, I'm not going to shout his name in adulation, but I certainly have no plans to boo the bloke.

I have heard from a fairly reliable source there is no pressure on him from DK whatsover, but other members of the board are growing impatient.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Re: Re: McGhee's Championship Record

Rougvie said:
Two reasons, firstly we cannot really afford to pay him off.

Second, we have a chairman who whatever anyone says about him is amazingly loyal to those who show loyalty to him.

I'm not sure I fully agree with the logic behind the latter, but I came to the conclusion before I went on holiday that we just have to live with it, I'm not going to shout his name in adulation, but I certainly have no plans to boo the bloke.

I have heard from a fairly reliable source there is no pressure on him from DK whatsover, but other members of the board are growing impatient.

firstly, and no one has answered this, why can't he be sacked for free ?

secondly, supporters are growing impatient as well, not just with the management, but with the club and all the problems caused by LDC etc, the fan base is dwindling on a continuous basis I believe, and many may never return

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'd keep McGhee, but then I am of the opinion that sacking managers only ever achieves short-term gain.

I'm not saying that there are not better managers that MM, I'm sure there are, but we'd only end up losing them to another club anyway, until we have something real to offer them in return.

Once the stadium work actually begins, and the Albion become more attractive, then the manager has many more options, and their true value will be shown.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
mona said:
The problem with McGhee is not that we went down but that he seemed unsure of his best players and tactics and fell out with two players too many. Signing GNW has improved the team but it doesn't look enough to stop the slide. Players knew what was expected of them under Adams and Coppell. That is no longer the case and is summed up by the poor set pieces and the lack of movement. I suspect home games aren't going to be much better nextseason even though we should pick up more points.

It's not that he is a bad manager but that he seems to have run his course at the club. Of course it was a hellishly difficult job to keep us up. But really good managers succeed against the odds and with little money eg Martin Allen.
Things will be clearer by the end of September.

I think you are absolutely right, but we cant wait until the end of September. As we have so little money we couldnt really afford this relegation (and I think we could have avoided it).

Now its happened we need a good start next season to give us the best chance of going back up. The alternative is a frustrating season with a dwindling fan base and even less money. Let someone new shake things up now.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Re: Re: Re: McGhee's Championship Record

zefarelly said:
firstly, and no one has answered this, why can't he be sacked for free ?

He has been contracted for another 2 seasons and is entitled to the pay under the conditions of the contract as compensation.

If DK really wanted to get rid of him he could probably come to some sort of arrangement i.e a percentage of the overall value of his contract.

My guess is DK believes McGhee doesn't deserve to be sacked.

mona said:
But really good managers succeed against the odds and with little money eg Martin Allen.

Martin Allen failed to get Brentford promoted in his first season, precisley something McGhee achieved with Brighton. Whether Allen succeeds this season is yet to be seen.

gazwag said:
Who wanted a pie chart then, championship results only

pie9ln.jpg

Superb, shows that McGhee's record in the Championship is pretty good when given the resources to do the job :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
it shows his record is shit, nothing else, its black and white . . . well ecru, lilac and claret actually, its still a shit record though

zefarelly said:
it shows his record is shit, nothing else, its black and white . . . well ecru, lilac and claret actually, its still a shit record though

Yeah right, the first Albion manager to keep us in the second tier since 1991 is a "shit record".

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
London Irish said:
Yeah right, the first Albion manager to keep us in the second tier since 1991 is a "shit record".

Thats a bit clucthing at straws even by your standards.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
London Irish said:
Martin Allen failed to get Brentford promoted in his first season, precisley something McGhee achieved with Brighton. Whether Allen succeeds this season is yet to be seen.
Allen did a great job at Barnet prior to Brentford, he has improved them considerably and managed to sign good players with little money. Weren't we also watching Callum Willock at Posh?

Rougvie said:
Thats a bit clucthing at straws even by your standards.
Hardly. It's you who has yet to come up with a convincing theory why Dick Knight is backing McGhee, given that he has sacked plenty of previous underperforming managers.

mona said:
Allen did a great job at Barnet prior to Brentford, he has improved them considerably and managed to sign good players with little money. Weren't we also watching Callum Willock at Posh?

Fair enough, but it looks more or less the same Brentford side who have scrabbling around the play-off places for years while we have been in the bigger league with McGhee. Why Brighton should have been there and not Brentford, can you say why?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here