• Fence sitter

Votes: 22 9.1%

• Total voters

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
enigma said:
Funnily enough, I think we are really missing the presence of Oatway in midfield, both in terms of the tackling he gives us and the leadership he provides.

Agreed...

Cor if only we got Dennis Wise in on a pay as you play deal...

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
I do sort of see what you are saying, but surely the fact that everyone knows we do not have a goal scorer means that we should be trying to stop letting the things in and looking to nick games. Now the return of Hinsh gives us the opportunity to shore up the defence by playing 3 decent centre backs and I personally think that is what should be done.

The variations on 4-4-2 that have been tried are just not working.

I agree with you on trying to nick games, we dont have the firepower up front to beat teams by more than a single goal.

But who would you play as wing backs? Reid would be fine on the right but I worry about who would play on the left.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
enigma said:
I agree with you on trying to nick games, we dont have the firepower up front to beat teams by more than a single goal.

But who would you play as wing backs? Reid would be fine on the right but I worry about who would play on the left.

Kerry Mayo as he will have a defender covering his lack of pace.

But he is left footed and has played on the left wing as well.

In the season we went down, Kerry performed well because he had people covering him.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:

Well with the cover of an extra centre back, Mayo might not look as exposed, he has played in this system before and looked good. As ever I would not be against giving Rents a go, he looks a decent footballer. It is a shame that Frutos is not great defensively as he does get up and down that flank well, but I suspect if he had to do more defending he would give away a number of free kicks.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Kerry Mayo as he will have a defender covering his lack of pace.

But he is left footed and has played on the left wing as well.

In the season we went down, Kerry performed well because he had people covering him.

Great minds.

Maybe we should oust Fumble as manager of the REMF team and put our great theories into practise...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
Right, so EXACTLY the opposite of what Kinkygoon was saying about throwing more strikers on :rolleyes: Fine, as long as we cleared that up.

To be honest, the more grinding, defensive approach was generally the one we took in the second half of last season, and it didn't work, because teams are generally too good in this league for you to play negatively against them, they will pick you off eventually.

You have suggested this 3-5-2 all season as a cure all, but we keep coming back to the same point, that system can't accommodate wingers, and the wingers are the one bit of the team that is working well right now. We must start from where the best strengths of our current squad of players. We need a system that incorporates the attacking verve of Carole and Frutos, and I can't see anything else than a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 doing that, but if there is another way, other than sacrificing one of them and playing another out of position in central midfield, I'd like to hear it.

Tomorrow I would reintegrate Hinsh into the back 4 somewhere and release Reid to play in Carole's position, as he did so successfully against Leeds.

I believe I said throw more strikers on when losing on sat, but go ahead make m,ore things up :)

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
Well with the cover of an extra centre back, Mayo might not look as exposed, he has played in this system before and looked good. As ever I would not be against giving Rents a go, he looks a decent footballer. It is a shame that Frutos is not great defensively as he does get up and down that flank well, but I suspect if he had to do more defending he would give away a number of free kicks.

OK. I would be worried about his lack of pace, particularly against teams that play attacking football with quick wingers.

Rents may well be a good player but I think this may be a season too early for him. Also, I have heard that physically he needs to bulk up.

Frutos is a very good player, but as you say, defending is not his strength. He would give away a lot of free kicks or leave the defence exposed.

E

enigma

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Agreed...

Cor if only we got Dennis Wise in on a pay as you play deal...

Would have been interesting. Dont know how much he would have wanted even for pay as you play, and not sure if he and Mcghee get on? CAnt remember.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:
OK. I would be worried about his lack of pace, particularly against teams that play attacking football with quick wingers.

Rents may well be a good player but I think this may be a season too early for him. Also, I have heard that physically he needs to bulk up.

Frutos is a very good player, but as you say, defending is not his strength. He would give away a lot of free kicks or leave the defence exposed.

I think Mayo would be OK as if he is beaten for pace, there would be an extra centre back to cover. But this does show how badly our inability (for whatever reason) to replace Harding has left us exposed.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Mayo's pace would worry me too especially when you consider the covering defenders don't have too much pace either.

Correct me if i am wrong but i'm sure Gary Hart had to play on the left side for us once under Coppell and had a good game there but then that will leave us even lighter upfront.

Sake, i'm having typing and brain issues today.

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
brightonfan_86 said:
Magoo is clueless, he has to go now.

even the yoof wing is turning against MM.

I say let him stay and lets see how good he is next year against Division 3 sides

If we are in the same position next year in Divi 1 ( division 3) then I suggest he should be replaced, as things stand I think he should stay and stick it out.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Trigger said:
Correct me if i am wrong but i'm sure Gary Hart had to play on the left side for us once under Coppell

f*** me trig as if we dont have enough people playing out of position!!!! :lolol:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Carole is undoubtedly our biggest threat and I believe he works best from wide so whatever is done cannot remove that threat. For me Frutos is a bit hit and miss, although his effort cannot be faulted.

How about 4-3-3 a la Chelsea ?

With everyone fit / available

---------------Henderson
El Abd--McShane-- Butters--Hinsh ??
--------------Carpenter
----------Reid--------Hammond
Carole / Jake-----------Frutos
-------------Gatting / Hart

I know it's a bit 'this years fad' but at least it would give the central midfield a beef up whilst allowing us to continue with our more creative players. I do agree that 3 central defenders would make us more solid but we have to start winning games and that means taking the game to them.

Last edited:

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
I think Mayo would be OK as if he is beaten for pace, there would be an extra centre back to cover. But this does show how badly our inability (for whatever reason) to replace Harding has left us exposed.

I agree. Although HArding had some poor moments with us, he was at least generally comfortable in that position.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Yorkie said:
I admit we were poor. I have done on other threads since Saturday.
I just pointed out that Toad was wrong on that post.

Was I wrong?

You haven't enlightened me as to what the four shots on target were post-goal ...

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
He was terrible on saturday: Our top scorer on the bench,2-1 down in a game we couldn't afford to lose and he didn't bring him on,not impressed!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Actually thats a good point CKR is now our top scorer with 5 goals!!! And hes on the bench...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here