Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee whealer dealer

fake slim said:
Exactly, a winger with no final ball surely can't be worth £250k!
The thing is Leeds remember a very good final ball that even got that rarest of things - a Knight goal at Championship level - and also a superbly taken goal by Carole himself.

Would be gutted if he went though :(

Voroshilov said:
Fatally flawed for three reasons.

1) Goal scorer = good chance of staying up. This just isn't true. Theres was a good chance we could have bought someone in and still gone down.

2) Where was the money coming from? The sort of striker people were talking about was way beyond the clubs modest means.

3) Even if we'd found the right player and covered the transfer fee what happens this season? Where's the money coming from to support the extra wages of a striker who can guarantee survival?
Spot on - and the problem is a proven goal-scorer wants not only an expensive contract but a long one too that ties our hands for many years - financial madness for a club like us that always exists a hair's breadth away from defaulting on our bills - take a look at the last accounts and see the problem.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
London Irish said:
Spot on - and the problem is a proven goal-scorer wants not only an expensive contract but a long one too that ties our hands for many years - financial madness for a club like us that always exists a hair's breadth away from defaulting on our bills - take a look at the last accounts and see the problem.

This is when we need a wealthy benefactor who has some spare cash floating about, offering to subsidise some of the wages of that elusive goalscorer. It can feel frsutrating that we don't have an all or nothing board, but I would rather have a club to watch.

Roll on Falmer and roll on some investment.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Dougal said:
If this talk of Carole is true and we get 200k + then McGhee has to be given some credit for yet again bringing in a player which we can flog for a profit which has to help with the current situation. We don't like it but facts are we are a selling club and in this respect he is doing a good job.

(Turienzo was DK signing)

Bang goes that theory then!! Carole off on a free!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
f kin hell , my thread now looks a stupid. F k sake , we always have shit sell ons or clauses . It was never worth it in the long run as we went down . . . ridiculous

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Deportivo Seagull said:
Thats fine for you to say but you wouldn't be the one financally liable if the gamble didn't pay off. This is the reasoning that got the administraters in at Leeds, Barnsley and Bradford.

I am NOT talikng about spending millions... it is NOT the same reasoning... ffs...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Voroshilov said:
Fatally flawed for three reasons.

1) Goal scorer = good chance of staying up. This just isn't true. Theres was a good chance we could have bought someone in and still gone down.... << but a far lower chance of still going down >>

2) Where was the money coming from? The sort of striker people were talking about was way beyond the clubs modest means. << have you heard of the loan market? >>

3) Even if we'd found the right player and covered the transfer fee what happens this season? Where's the money coming from to support the extra wages of a striker who can guarantee survival? << see 2 above >>

NOT fatally flawed...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
B.W. said:
NOT fatally flawed...

Well, nearly fatally flawed. What if we got this loan striker (cost about 6 figures i would expect) and he got injured? Thats the problem with the loan market they are not wanted by a club for some reason be it as there young (waste of time in our predicament) old (not gonna be a lot of use playing 25 games) injured (GNW'S knees were f***ed) or out of favour (usually for falling out with manager not as bad but if they have fallen out with one manager I could see them falling out with mm).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
Well, nearly fatally flawed. What if we got this loan striker (cost about 6 figures i would expect) and he got injured? Thats the problem with the loan market they are not wanted by a club for some reason be it as there young (waste of time in our predicament) old (not gonna be a lot of use playing 25 games) injured (GNW'S knees were f***ed) or out of favour (usually for falling out with manager not as bad but if they have fallen out with one manager I could see them falling out with mm).

So... no loans are ever successful then?... I offer... Bobby Zamora and Paul McShane...

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
B.W. said:
NOT fatally flawed...

Only in your bizarre dream world.

Your answer to point one is laughable

Point two - Still doesn't address the issue of where the moneys coming from

Point three - where was this saviour coming from. We got a forward in on loan.

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
B.W. said:
I am NOT talikng about spending millions... it is NOT the same reasoning... ffs...

Neither am I, a proven goal scorer in the championship would have around cost £4k a week (£208K), not including bonuses. Fee would be in the region of £200K, and signing on fee would be around 20K. So cost is £428K for just one player, taking into account NI and other such delights it heading for over £500K, even if the blokes on a free its going to cost close to £250K. IMO we needed two players and so you are getting close to the £1M mark.
It soon mounts up ......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here