Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee Says...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Molango and Jarrett will be both loaned out as well.MCShane gone back.I Think we should recall Jarrett back

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
algie said:
MK Dons have just done that.By the way Swindon are in the same league as MK Dons:dunce:

No shit Sherlock :rolleyes:

I meant that the Albion should be playing the likes of Swindon (and, if you insist, Franchise FC) earlydoors, rather than poncing around with Worthing, Crawley and the duty-free shopping expedition to France.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Silent Bob said:
There must be some room on the wage bill, Knight, McCammon, Carole, Turienzo, Nicolas, all high earners gone from the wage bill and not replaced.
How do you know they were all high wage earners? Well, Knight may have been, but what about the rest? Where are the details of their salaries published?

Plus we will not be getting anything like the revenue from outside sources that we got last season, so the budget dictates that we can't replace one set of wages with the same. The club would only hasten its demise.

Some of the money will be on new players. Just because these players haven't been replaced doesn't follow that they won't.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Tom Hark said:
No shit Sherlock :rolleyes:

I meant that the Albion should be playing the likes of Swindon (and, if you insist, Franchise FC) earlydoors, rather than poncing around with Worthing, Crawley and the duty-free shopping expedition to France.
What's wrong with pitting yourself again higher standard opposition (Le Havre)? I would have thought it a worthwhile exercise?

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The Large One said:
What we let go was (with the possible exception of Nicolas) pretty awful fare.

So how crap is McGhee then if he can't replace "awful fare"?

God knows why Dick Knight was so determined to keep McGhee for the coming season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
British Bulldog said:
So how crap is McGhee then if he can't replace "awful fare"?
You've got your argument back to front there. It's not the 'awful fare' that needs replacing. The 'replacements' for the 'awful fare' are the players already playing. It's the replacements for some of the current first-team that we need - a much harder proposition.

British Bulldog said:
God knows why Dick Knight was so determined to keep McGhee for the coming season.
Do keep up.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The Large One said:
You've got your argument back to front there. It's not the 'awful fare' that needs replacing. The 'replacements' for the 'awful fare' are the players already playing. It's the replacements for some of the current first-team that we need - a much harder proposition.

Everything seems to be a hard proposition for bullshit McGhee.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
the man's afool, never mind that I'm sitting in on a friday night, I have my reason's, he is a buffon of the highest order, 4-1 to McDons, my customary preseason optimism has taken a beating, a season of McCock after England in the world cup? Christ give me strength.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
willalbion said:
the man's afool, never mind that I'm sitting in on a friday night, I have my reason's, he is a buffon of the highest order, 4-1 to McDons

Same pre season result we had against Oxford last year. Look where they are now!

I've lost all faith in McGhee and the sooner he goes the better.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Man, I've been watching the albion since 84, experienced the awful black hole that was Gillingham, I love the Albion, But McGhee? Come on.. I'll be there cheering the stripes but inwardly wishing him a Glenn Roeder (brain tumor, benign, but RESIGN)

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The Large One said:
What does how many we've signed until now have to do with how many we're going to sign next week?

Jesus.

It has everything to do with how many we're going to sign next week. We've spent best part of 2 (yes TWO) years looking for a forward and a left back. By what miracle are we gonna have someone arrive in the next week?

P.S. my names not Jesus it's Jez.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
It's shite. McGoon getting his excuses in early "Well if I'd been able to sign a forward, a left back a midfilder, a new stadium, if Bobby would come back if a had a go-go gadget arm" bollix!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
What does how many we've signed until now have to do with how many we're going to sign next week?

Jesus.

because BEARDY we've had WEEKS to sign many players and yet theres now a limited number of days before the start of the season....meaning its obvious to anyone with half a brain that we're gonna sign f*** all! Or if we do they will be the scraps that Accrington Stanley did'nt want....which dont count as Signings in my book because they'll "be for the future" and wont actually play until loaned out to Crawley in the 2007/08 season....Simple!

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:
What's wrong with pitting yourself again higher standard opposition (Le Havre)? I would have thought it a worthwhile exercise?

For fucks sake please take of those rose tinted glasses and smell the coffee

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Marc said:
because BEARDY we've had WEEKS to sign many players and yet theres now a limited number of days before the start of the season....meaning its obvious to anyone with half a brain that we're gonna sign f*** all! Or if we do they will be the scraps that Accrington Stanley did'nt want....which dont count as Signings in my book because they'll "be for the future" and wont actually play until loaned out to Crawley in the 2007/08 season....Simple!

Umm, transfer window shuts on 31 August so we have in effect another month to find players. What generally happens is at the end of each season clubs release players they don't want, if you look hard enough you can find geniune gems like Currie, but most will be very average jobbing professionals and youngsters. If they were good they would be snapped pretty quickly. However, what you get is a lot of triallists looking for work.

The real activity will kick off in the next fortnight. Players at the moment will have returned from their break, started training convinced they're in the current manager's plans for the forthcoming season. Once the season does kick off and a fair few suddenly discover they are not near the first team then they have choices to make; Do they stay and fight for a place and perhaps risk reserve team football all year or do they look around and see if there are any clubs who could offer them regular first team action, and this can take the form of a permanent transfer of a fixed loan.

Complicating matters is the Premiershite, who kick off a week later than the rest of us mere mortals. Consequently, activity really kicks in from the middle of August onwards as the football food chain gets into gear, new players from abroad push squad members down the pecking order, they may move to Championship clubs whose own lesser squad players may also start moving down the chain to League One and Two. By this time we are probably talking about the last ten days of the transfer window, then players make those decisions whether to move or not. Who knows if Preston decide to buy a younger version of Dichio he may reconsider his earlier refusal to join us.

Add to that older and more experienced players may have started players and put some roots down in the area they live in and may not want to up sticks and travel to another part of the country. It is why midlands clubs have an advantage over us, if you're a bit part player at Birmingham you have far more options regarding clubs than down here where we rely on cast offs from London, I think I'm correct in saying that Butters has lived in Southampton whilst playing for Portsmouth, Gillingham and Us. If you look at the players Adams bought in they'd all done the rounds with Fulham, Brentford and Gillingham and one or two other southern clubs.

You complain of competing for scraps but that is our position because that is where we are on the food chain.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Neither am I but that is the environment we are operating in and I wish some people would actually take their head out of their arses and see what the reality is rather than parrotting what others think.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
So far this pre season, he has
signed a young, un proven, raw, lots of potential striker
lost key players to leeds or injury
has told the youth team, worstly via the media, that they are not good enough to play at the lowest standard of professional football this club will play at

you cannot have no money to spend on players, and then tell the youth set up (which is the best crop we have ever had) that they are not ready or good enough for division 3 football.
we cannot buy anyone so we have to use them. they are all we have, so why shot the of all confidence in public before the season has started.
(this is something i may ask magoo on thursday)

bad management

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here