Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee question

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lammy said:
That for me has been his biggest problem. Other managers had a similar budget to work with and less prospect of a stadium in the near future and yet we were able to attract and afford wages for the likes of Kitson. We also relied on load players. We've had the success of McShane but that is it.

He could have spent the CKR and Henderson money on loan players, they'd be gone now and we still might not be in the Championship. As it is we have two players who might make a big difference next year who are actually worth money, and saves us two loan players for next year. Seems to make sense to me but it's not instant enough for many on here. The club and manager are thinking long term, many fans are thinking short term.

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Monsieur Leclerc said:
But we have also endured a further 3 seasons of financial losses during McGhee's reign.

This is a piss poor excuse. Look at the EXTRA cash we've raised since he's been here!

Play off final
Spurs away
Virgo
Cullip
Harding

We've never had so much money going into the club. This is far more that LDC is costing us.

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
bhaexpress said:
What, like McShane ? Its more a case of good player don't want to play for peanuts in a struggling side who plays its home games in an athletics stadium.

That is one player who was at a club where it was plain he wasn't going to get a game

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Icy Gull said:
He could have spent the CKR and Henderson money on loan players, they'd be gone now and we still might not be in the Championship. As it is we have two players who might make a big difference next year who are actually worth money, and saves us two loan players for next year. Seems to make sense to me but it's not instant enough for many on here. The club and manager are thinking long term, many fans are thinking short term.

You're right, getting relegated is a great long term plan! :rolleyes:

We easily had the personal to stay in this league we just didn't have the right management.

The money from Coca Cola couldn't be spent on a loan player anyway so a silly argument.

I would argue that we didn't even need Henderson anyway as Kuipers is good enough to fill that space.

Some could also argue that money spent on;

Molango
Jarrett
Turenzo

could have been spend on at LEAST a couple of decent loan players!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
What ever anyone says, McGhee seems not that well loved in some football circles and relies heavily on his 'Class of Gothenburg 83' connections from his Aberdeen days.

He did fantastically well to get McShane and for that he deserves credit.

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
Dead right, BHAExpress. Players only come to us when they are told to by top managers like Wenger and Fergusson. Then they actually seem to quite enjoy it...
But the truth is that we have a horrible little stadium and no corporate hospitality facilities. Sheffield Wednesday had over 30,000 watching them on the weekend before they blew us out of the Championship and I bet all their executive boxes were full too - you can hire quite a lot of part time talent from gates like that.
But, hey, sod it. It nearly summer and Sussex are unbeaten...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I thought DK got McShane and NOT MM. At least thats what DK said at a breakfast meeting at the beginning of the season.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Lammy said:
This is a piss poor excuse. Look at the EXTRA cash we've raised since he's been here!

Play off final
Spurs away
Virgo
Cullip
Harding

We've never had so much money going into the club. This is far more that LDC is costing us.

The balance sheet is nothing to do with McGhee, you should be directing that one at the Chairman & the board.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
34064 Fighter Command said:
The balance sheet is nothing to do with McGhee, you should be directing that one at the Chairman & the board.

Much as I hate Magoo (and I feel he is solely to blame for our relegation) I have to agree with that comment.

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
MM is not a man of natural charisma or charm (unless you love beige safari suits on the opening day of one season), so he is not someone to automatically admire or want to be. I can't remember him grasping my heart and making it beat a way i couldn't recall elswhere. If i met him in a pub, he'd stare at me for a moment or two until i apologised for the things i once thought or the man i will always fail to become.
It's a shame, but not something to directly lose him his job. Would be nice if i could imagine any connection there, but its his job to connect with footballers rather than me.
Somewhere, i'd probably, foolishly, prefer to meet Wayne Sleep hiding under the table in one pub.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
blockhseagull said:
You could say that MM actually has signed one of the best loan players to EVER play for us

who is that? Henderson?

I would have thought zamora was the best loanee we signed and that was Mickey Adams

Surely Sidwell is the best loanee we ever had.

Ingmarrsen was class too

Shame we couldnt afford them

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Dies Irae said:
who is that? Henderson?

I would have thought zamora was the best loanee we signed and that was Mickey Adams

Surely Sidwell is the best loanee we ever had.

Ingmarrsen was class too

Shame we couldnt afford them

McShane.... and i said ONE OF THE BEST...NOT THE BEST

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
34064 Fighter Command said:

My point is there is no way he was on a smaller budget than other managers and yet they seem to have been able to attract players.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
blockhseagull said:
McShane.... and i said ONE OF THE BEST...NOT THE BEST

sorry...

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
actually the best must be Keown really.

England International...world cup player

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
ive been pretty much supportive of Mcghee during the season, but now its over and the realism of league 1 football is with us.
I beleive a change in management is required.
If only to freshen it up again.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Rougvie said:
The ONLY good thing about relegation is that there can be no excuses about MONEY, FACILITIES etc etc yada yada boring.

We have less debt that 90% of the other clubs in L1, we can compete with most of the clubs in L1 because of our excellent financial management, we have a stadium that is marginally better than many of the dumps that we will visit, oh and in case anyone has forgotten, its location is Brighton, one of the BEST places to live in the United Kingdom, sorry and before anyone can mention training facilities, at least we dont have to train in dog shit infested public parks like some of our rivals have to.

I'm sure McGhee will still come up with something tho.....

Have we a better stadium than alot of the champ 1 clubs .. im not so sure ?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Uncle Buck said:
Just out of interest, there is a section of our support that says the rather poor season we have just had is not the fault of McGhee and that it was other factors that lead to our demise.

So if this is the case, the promotion and then staying up last year were not down to him either.

If he wants the credit, he must also take the criticism.

Now which CLEVER person came up with THAT argument eh?;)

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
ditchy said:
Have we a better stadium than alot of the champ 1 clubs .. im not so sure ?

Just what I was thinking, surely Withdean is THE WORST ground in the entire Football League

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here