Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee IN!!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
El Presidente said:
Bad track record? Who got the Albion promoted and helped them stay up last season?

Coppell did an excellent job, but did have Kuipers, Zamora, Cullip, Rogers, Blackwell, Ingmarrson, and even managed to get Kitson to put in a couple of good performances too.

Compare that to what McGhee has available. The 2002 team would paste the 2005 one on a man for man basis

Coppell used the transfer budget for wages for freebies..

McGhee has blown it on an Argie and and a striker "for the future".

That is why the 2002 team would paste the current one, even without Zamora

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
coppell was also a very good manager - he set out a team that was able to compete and put players into the formation in the correct way - you never saw him using someone like brooker as a wing back oir key centre midfielder

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The mans a genius with the reources he has available. Who else would have played Virgs up front last season and Harty at right back this season? Putting 3 strikers on today was a gamble to nothing and on another day it could have paid off.

Give him a break - there's no one better out there.

only1robbiereinalt

Oct 7, 2005
mark mcghee mark mcghee mark mcghee mark mcghee mark mcghee mark mcghee DRINKING PINTS OF WHISKY! :drink:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
only1robbiereinalt said:
he needs a goalscorer, ok..made a mistake with turenzo, giv him til after january see who he brings in.

I don't understand why I keep seeing people saying this - why do we need a goalscorer? We conceded five today! Surely it has become clear it is in defence we need strengthening - we've scored consistently enough, but keep letting them in.

One left back, a keeper and a centre-back. In that order. Then maybe a striker, but we're into real wish-list territory there.

Last edited:

caz

Aug 10, 2005
London Calling said:
Actuallyi I am not,

I watched all of the Coppell games, I wasn't totally convinced but now his form speaks for itself,

I now have a family and as such i have seen few Albion games under McGhee, however, I keep in touch via my mates and here of course.

Perhaps some could do better, could Coppell with the same squad?

But if we were to sack McGhee, I doubt we would get anyone to replace him.

As the Leeds manager said, McGhee has got the hardest job in the league, and who would want to come here, if the Board didn't show loyalty.

But he has got a bad track record<
AM SURE CHARLIE WOULD TAKE OVER AS MANAGER, CAN'T BE WORSE.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Withdean Wanderer said:
Coppell used the transfer budget for wages for freebies..

McGhee has blown it on an Argie and and a striker "for the future".

That is why the 2002 team would paste the current one, even without Zamora

And we had a decent defence ...

Blackwell Cullip Ingimarsson, or Hart El Abd Butters Reid?

only1robbiereinalt

Oct 7, 2005
Re: Re: McGhee IN!!

Repugnant Toad said:
I don't understand why I keep seeing people saying this - why do we need a goalscorer? We conceded five today! Surely it has become clear it is in defence we need strengthening - we've scored consistently enough, but keep letting them in.

One left back, a keeper and a centre-back. In that order. Then maybe a striker, but we're into real wish-list territory there.

a left back, mayo will do with our money problems. a keeper, no need to change Kuipers when he gets back, a centre back yes..deffently, and a striker, were u at reading today? if you were you'd understand why we need someone so score goals!

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Get rid of Mark McGhee now during December, Scot? No son. It's too late. You need to change a manager by the end of October to make any realistic changes in the fortunes of a team. The writing was on the wall then, and action should have been taken. To change the management team at this late hour will prove to be counter productive (as Pompey will find out.)

Has Mark McGhee lost the plot? Too right he has! The man went looking for the headlines today and f***ed up badly! He was looking for, " First team young debutante is magical selection of Brighton manager." The headlines should have read, "Old head Mayo steadies the ship for Brighton as they steal a point."

The old pros such as Chas and Guy have every right to feel pissed off with their manager today. The match against Reading was massive. It called for experience and cool heads.

McGhee let young Gary Elphick down badly by selecting him today. The time to blood this young prospect is when we are safe, and not when the defence is already struggling for consistency. Instead the Albion are rooted in a relegation place in the table and were playing a match against a team at the top of the table and with the best strike force this league has seen for many a season.

Christ knows what today's experience has done for the moral of young Gary. He should never have been there! A boy was sent in to do a man's job today, and all for the ego of his manager. No doubt it will be Hinsh and Deano who will be left to pick up the pieces.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
nobody's dupe said:
Get rid of Mark McGhee now during December, Scot? No son. It's too late. You need to change a manager by the end of October to make any realistic changes in the fortunes of a team. The writing was on the wall then, and action should have been taken. To change the management team at this late hour will prove to be counter productive (as Pompey will find out.)

Has Mark McGhee lost the plot? Too right he has! The man went looking for the headlines today and f***ed up badly! He was looking for, " First team young debutante is magical selection of Brighton manager." The headlines should have read, "Old head Mayo steadies the ship for Brighton as they steal a point."

The old pros such as Chas and Guy have every right to feel pissed off with their manager today. The match against Reading was massive. It called for experience and cool heads.

McGhee let young Gary Elphick down badly by selecting him today. The time to blood this young prospect is when we are safe, and not when the defence is already struggling for consistency. Instead the Albion are rooted in a relegation place in the table and were playing a match against a team at the top of the table and with the best strike force this league has seen for many a season.

Christ knows what today's experience has done for the moral of young Gary. He should never have been there! A boy was sent in to do a man's job today, and all for the ego of his manager. No doubt it will be Hinsh and Deano who will be left to pick up the pieces.

:clap: :clap:

superb post, especailly the stuff regarding elphick

i still believe that a change in manager could be beneficial though, we are still within touch of the safe clubs, and if we have someone o ncharge who can just pick up a few wins we will be safe

only1robbiereinalt

Oct 7, 2005
Scotty M said:
:clap: :clap:

superb post, especailly the stuff regarding elphick

i still believe that a change in manager could be beneficial though, we are still within touch of the safe clubs, and if we have someone o ncharge who can just pick up a few wins we will be safe

good post, i agree...but we CANT get rid of magoo, theres no logic in it...theres no big named managers that will come here as it is

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
boys boys boys we lost 5-1 to Plymouth last season ( and we played worse there then than we did today) and yet we stayed up......

MM made a tactical error today, and thought young Elphick was up to it, he just wasn't, that 5 at the back was a good idea it wasn't and that he stated, not long ago, he didn't play Leon on his own up front because it wouldn't work, too kin right, and yet he did all of those things.....that's what worries me about today.

We will be ok, I am not too worried yet, although it felt bad there today.:albion:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
only1robbiereinalt said:
good post, i agree...but we CANT get rid of magoo, theres no logic in it...theres no big named managers that will come here as it is

who says it has to be big named?

who had heard of adrian bothroyd or billy davies before they were given their jobs?

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
parks said:
boys boys boys we lost 5-1 to Plymouth last season ( and we played worse there then than we did today)

Were you at Plymouth? The score flattered Argyle that day. Contrary to what you say we played well against them!

We were f***ed by the ref and linos at that game. Today our own manager stuffed us before a ball was even kicked.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
nobody's dupe said:
Today our own manager stuffed us before a ball was even kicked.

and then attempted to blame it on the officials:dunce:

Re: Re: McGhee IN!!

Repugnant Toad said:

We need a striker because we don't have a good enough end product to the fine work done consistently by the likes of Carole.

It is still top priority.

We all saw the mistake by Frutos at left wingback today but we have muddled through OK with Reid this season and we will probably do so in the future with Dodd. It's about priorities, decent leftbacks better than Reid are not thick on the ground in English football, which is why Leeds stole ours.

The tonking today was down to McGhee giving it a go throwing players forward with ten men. If we had sat back and lost 2-0, would that have cheered you up?

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Today was an impossible situation, I don't see what McGhee could have done to prevent it. Reading are such a strong side, it was always going to be difficult. How people can decide this the game which finally suggests McGhee should be sacked is beyond me. Personally, I think he is doing a good job in a difficult situation and I don't see who else we could bring in, but even those who disagree should surely wait until we've played the next few games, against lesser opposition before calling for his head.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
nobody's dupe said:
Were you at Plymouth? The score flattered Argyle that day. Contrary to what you say we played well against them!

We were f***ed by the ref and linos at that game. Today our own manager stuffed us before a ball was even kicked.

Tosh. We managed very well for the first half an hour. Some of the decisions given by the ref were abysmal today and yet he ignored blatant fouls by Reading players.

The own goal was unfortunate, the penalty was completely baffling and the sending off harsh compared to tackles Reading players were doing.

Even at half time we had a chance to keep in the game. Once things went wrong then we might as well try anything because we were beaten by then.

only1robbiereinalt

Oct 7, 2005
had oatway not scored an own goal = 0-0 at half time

had ref not sent off elfick and given penalty = 0-0

ok they go on to score 3, had kazim scored his 1 on 1 they wouldn't have scored there last goal and we would have 2 = 2-2, had there been a different referee out there today it would have been a different story :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here