Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee disappointed with Knight

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I agree that Leon and Claridge should start up front on saturday against Rotherham, however who would people play if we sign McCammon or Owusu on loan? MM is not going to sign a loan player and then leave them on the bench.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A bit of protection from referees would help, he gets pulled and pushed all the time. The theatrical stuff he often tried last season has come back to haunt him as he is now considered a diver by refs.

I can understand McGhee bringing him on late, as he should be fresh, wound up and able to leave tired defenders. If he can't get on the score sheet as a sub what makes you think he could if he was on all game?? A few goals from the bench would get him on at the start.

Last edited:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Kneon Light said:
I agree that Leon and Claridge should start up front on saturday against Rotherham, however who would people play if we sign McCammon or Owusu on loan? MM is not going to sign a loan player and then leave them on the bench.

One of them with Little Leon, Claridge is not good enough for this division.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Icy Gull said:
A bit of protection from referees would help, he gets pulled and pushed all the time. The theatrical stuff he often tried last season has come back to haunt him as he is now considered a diver by refs.

I can understand McGhee bringing him on late, as he should be fresh, wound up and able to leave tired defenders. If he can't get on the score sheet as a sub what makes you think he could if he was on all game?? A few goals from the bench would get him on at the start.

eerr more time to score maybe?

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Icy Gull said:

At least he looked like he may score and had the necessary pace at Ipswich.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
CrabtreeBHA said:
eerr more time to score maybe?

If he was good enough he would have done when he had the chance and he's started plenty of times this season. It's easier to come off the bench and score, if you're that good??

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Not quite sure where you're getting your Bench Scoring Logic from but common sense says you would have more chance of scoring in 90mins than 20mins.....no?
Yes he did start games at the start of the season but he was'nt up for it entirely, maybe the 3 match ban added weight to that, even so recently he has looked good. Besides its blatantly obvious he needs to start alongside claridge this saturday.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If McGhee plays 1 up front against Rotherham, why I'll......I'll.....
*grinds teeth*
I'll say something I jolly well shouldn't.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
CrabtreeBHA said:
Besides its blatantly obvious he needs to start alongside claridge this saturday.

Agreed

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yes, gotta be Claridge and Leon on Sat... I don't think I've ever seen so much agreement on NSC!...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Its a good point. What is it they say about good strikers ?

"The first couple of yards are in the head"

Its not even that Leon is missing a hatful of chances - he's not even getting into the positions to miss them. I remember Gary Lineker once saying that during a game he'd make umpteen runs into the near post, and nine times out of ten the ball would never arrive. But that one time it DID arrive and he stuck it away, people would say "oh, he was in the right place at the right time", when in fact, he'd been in the "right place" loads of times, but it only got noticed when he actually scored.

Leon doesn't quite seem capable of finding that yard of space he needs at this level, and just doesn't really seem to be getting into goalscoring positions. Its a worry, cos I thought he'd do ok at this level, but its just not happening for him.

we aint creating anything thats why

mr turd

Nov 22, 2004
READING
Im with leon,i feel he gets shit service and doesn't have a regular partner up front with his ability.

mc ghee needs a brain transplant sometimes on his stupid tactics,lets face it one day he said "the fans will have to get used to negative football"the next he said"the fans will see more attacking flair and passing" very strange indeed.:glare:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm going right off McGhee. Everybody worth listening to on NSC is screaming out for a Leon and Claridge partnership up front. It might not work but unless we try it, we'll never know. Playing Leon on the far right wing against Burnley AND having him play deep was just crap all round. Claridge got nothing. Leon got nothing. Nobody got nothing. Burnley on the other hand must have thought it was Christmas come early. In the end (and I've yet to see this contradicted anywhere) Leon thought bollox to THAT and took it upon himself to assume his central upfront role. For which dissent he was subbed for Jones about two minutes later. McGhee not playing Leon where he does the business - and then blaming the player - is a shocking example of a manager deflecting the blame. On a par with the wretched Hinshelwood keeping a clearly injured Bobby Z on the pitch in (forget which game) in what looked for all the world like a last-ditch bid to save his skin when the whole of the South Stand was screaming for BZ to be taken off.

You can fool some of the people some of the time...

mr turd

Nov 22, 2004
READING
tactics change nearly every week!
chopping and changing every week!
out of position players every week!
negativity on attack,as thats why we never score anymore!
Players with skill dropped for the likes of oatway,malango has much more than most in our team,and where is jarrett injured or what?

mr turd

Nov 22, 2004
READING
Yeah chasing shadows,he will blow up soon he always does its routine.:smokin:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I happen to agree with McGhee dropping Knight because he clearly hasn't done it yet so far this season. However, what I don't agree with is that he is not giving one of the other strikers a chance i.e. Robinson or Malango.

It's a difficult one, because we don't see what goes on behind the scenes, for example in training, or his attitude generally. That will have an impact on the decisions a manager makes, so I don't think we should be too hard on McGhee without knowing all the facts.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I hesitate to criticise McGhee as opinions on him seem to blow in the wind half the time, according to the latest result. A couple of months ago he was being hailed as a genius after switching Virgo up front and chiselling out a win at Leicester and a draw at Watford. But its getting harder to argue against some of the dissenting voices, and THPP makes some valid points.

The bottom line is though, McGhee has steered us to a division we have no right to expect to be in, and on top of that, one way or the other, we have managed to steer clear of the bottom 3 places for most of the season so far - and that is a hell of an achievement. I don't always agree with McGhees selections or tactics, but at the moment, the ends are justifying the means. If we are still 21st or above by the turn of the year, then McGhee must be doing something right.

I want to see Leon and Claridge up front on Saturday, and I will be bewildered and bloody annoyed if McGhee doesn't take this option. But whatever happens, I still think we've got the best man in charge right now, and I sure as hell wouldn't want anyone else there. McGhee is the man to keep us up, and I do have faith that he will do just that.

I just wish he'd do it MY way ;)

Tom Hark said:
I'm going right off McGhee.

:lolol: Come on, Tom, you know your support for McGhee has always been something of a freak, statistical blip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here