Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee and Strikers

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
As it Wednesday, I thought how about a football thread. Actually this has come on the back on one of the email loops I waste the day on.

Anyway, I know a lot of you think that McGhee is a managerial genius, some do not and some of us sit on the fence, as things are working at present, but some of the interesting selections during the season mean that you do ask questions.

I have to say he has the defence well organised and although it would be nice to have a touch of flair in the midfield, the graft at present is getting us the results that we need and I guess we can try something different once we are safe.

However, when it comes to strikers, certainly the ones that McGhee has brought in, there seems to be a bit of an issue, well certainly they are not of the goal scoring quality or footballing quality we would all like to see. Now I know the age old excuse of no money and they are the best available will be rolled out by the usual suspects, but why do we go after the McGammon’s of this world, when they are not better than what we have?

If you look at what has been brought in by McGhee, do you really think they have offered all that much more than what was here?

1. Iwelumo: - Odd one, he did the job asked, but was not the greatest player and we do not really miss him
2. Benjamin: - This was probably the only one that was better than what we had.
3. Molango: - Looked good in pre-season, but once he started playing against pro’s his lack of first touch was evident. The fact that he seems to be consigned to the reserves, says a lot.
4. McGammon: - Sorry, but he other than the 15 minutes at Brammall Lane he offered nothing and why are we looking at him again.

Now all I want is a football discussion, but I know a flaming is on the way, as I should not question anything that is done by the management. Well kids, half the fun of football is talking about it and the different opinions people have.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I agree that we could do a bit better when it comes to bringing in strikers but where are they going to come from? Teams from this division would only lend out strikers that are nowhere near their first team so what is the point of signing them apart from to make up the numbers (McCammon) and Premiership youngsters like Blackstock seem to always start breaking into the first team when we're about to sign them (Blackstock).
McGhee has not bought in any strikers of genuine class but I really don't see that anybody else has. I would like Benji back here but can we afford the wages he will ask for, no.

There's always a better club to play for than us at the moment, even Northampton.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Iwelumo we missed for the first half dozen games this year. When we moved Virgo up front, that covered the gap.

Benjamin was one of the reasons we got to 4th in the table last year. I agree out of the 4 he was the best of the bunch. Shame he is at Northampton, we could do with him back here (Northampton aren't short of cash, which is probabaly the reason)

Molongo was shown up when Virgo was pushed up front. No 1st touch or physical threat. This begs the question what use friendlies are in pre season against shit teams, then we might have found this out before we signed him on a 3 year contract.

McGammon. I've yet to see him play well. He does though play furthest up the pitch which we miss when Virgo or Hart is up front but that's about it. As McGhee is persistent I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now but given his reputation with Millwall and Brentford fans it dosen't look positive.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Where did MM play. I feel he was a defender, and that is why we have ground out results at times.

What I have said before, is that MM has slowly brought in a team culture, and belife in themselves.

I do wonder however, stikers being the people they are, is Withdean where they want to ply their trade. It hardly looks the most habitable of places, does it. Also, stikers are the hardest players, I feel, to find, on the open market.

I beleive the striking problem, or issue, will only be resolved by either going to the lower leagues, or, through the youth system.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Dover said:
Where did MM play. I feel he was a defender, and that is why we have ground out results at times.

What I have said before, is that MM has slowly brought in a team culture, and belife in themselves.

I do wonder however, stikers being the people they are, is Withdean where they want to ply their trade. It hardly looks the most habitable of places, does it. Also, stikers are the hardest players, I feel, to find, on the open market.

I beleive the striking problem, or issue, will only be resolved by either going to the lower leagues, or, through the youth system.

He was a quality striker.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hannibal, there may lie the problem then. He knows what to expect, and what can be acheived and simply does not see enough talent out there.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Uncle Buck said:
If you look at what has been brought in by McGhee, do you really think they have offered all that much more than what was here?
[/B]

I think the answer to that question might be yes, with the exception of Molango.

In my opinion, we desperately needed a target man before Iwelumo was brought in last season, and I think he made a big difference, giving us a real aerial threat and a physical presence up front to compensate for Leon knight's lack of stature.

The other two (Benjamin and McCammon) are similar types of players, strong targetmen who can - supposedly - add physical presence to our attack. They may not be the greatest players on earth, McCammon in particular, but they have added to the squad because we didn't have a true target man before they came to the club, or once they had left, and I think we do miss that at times.

So, if you are asking whether these players have offered more than we had before, then I would say yes, because they have added something to the squad that we didn't have before.

McCammon has effort, that is his only attribute. I genuinely believe I play 5-a-side with more adept footballers.

Benji offered size and ability, Lumo served a purpose, Claridge was excellent afgainst West Ham but never looked like scoring. McGhee doesn't quite seem to sign strikers that deliver the goods. Perhaps this is purely a money thing.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
On the subject of McCammon, did anyone else think that he looked like he was trying to run in a pair of Wellington boots?

The legs were moving - sometimes quite quickly - but he just didn't seem to move.

I am a huge MM fan, but not because of his tactical imput. Sure on that front he is good, however up to now I would still put Coppout ahead of him (as much as I hate to admit it as I never liked the chap). What I like most about MM is the way he gets the absolute max out of all of his resources, and adapts his methods to suit different players / situations. Micky was always a bit 2-dimensional for me, MM seems more inteligent and flexible in his approach. I think he has handled the striker situation in the right way. Given his lack of funds, the lack of availability of players and the footballing limitations of the squad, the type of player he has gone for has had an effect. I'm sure he would love to bring Ronaldo in but it won't happen. His choice of striker has added to the squad (and I believe Molango will over time) and increased our chances of success. I didn't rate big Chris or McCammon as individuals but they added a different edge to the team that we could play to.
Well done MM. Legend in the making.

wilderabeast

Jul 27, 2004
The Promised Land
I think MM no's what he is doing when he signed Molango and Jarrett he said quite openly that they would not feature much this season and that he has brought them for the future they are 2 players with an awful lot of potentential but are no were near the finished article...this season is a bedding in and learning season fror them it is to early for them....with regards to lumo did a job for us in league one doubt he could have done in the championship...Benj yep would have loved to have seen him back at the club...McGammon not the greatest striker by far but give us something different and is a handfull leaving leon with more time to do what he does the best and score...i would like to see us sign Gifton Noel Williams or Neil Shipperley....

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Is there a bit of an issue that we get lumbered with the McGammons of this world, as McGhee does not have as good contacts within the game that some people think?

You look at the players Coppell brought in and as a rule they fitted straight into the system. Sometimes with more recent signings we have had to tinker with the system to accomodate them.

At the end of the day Coppell managed to bring Knight in on much the same budget the McGhee is operating under and he scored 27 goals last season. Can you really see Molango, McGammon and Claridge getting 27 between them?

Bit harsh UB. For Knight under Coppout read Nicolas under MM. Also didn't MM bring in Reid as well. Both real quality.

Edited to add Currie

Last edited:

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
The thing is every one wants a strong physical striker to help the more skilled less physical players they have.

They are at a premium and these players will choose the bigger teams that pay more and or will be pushing for honours rather than avoiding the drop.

The players MM has brought him have been ok even Mcgammon the trouble is that it takes time to build up a partnership sometimes and Leon bless him is a hard person to do this with

Benjy has been the only one and we for the money reason have missed out.

Molango i would like MM to give him some more games espically if we are free from the threat of relegation closure to the end of the season

A) to see how far he has come
B) give him the experience of the Championship

MM is good and being a good striker is frustrated at what he can get i think he knows he cant get a good player on the budget he has he has got to look hard at the lower leagues and take a risk on potential talent.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Surely when we took Leon we'd just had the money from Spurs for Zamora (and saved his wages) - so we were able to offer a little more. Also, Leon was uncertain about his own future and more willing to take a chance with us at (probably) a lower rate of pay.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Lokki 7 said:
Bit harsh UB. For Knight under Coppout read Nicolas under MM. Also didn't MM bring in Reid as well. Both real quality.

Edited to add Currie

Is it, look at the players brought in.

Coppell;

1. Blackwell
2. Rodger
3. Sidwell
4. Roberts
5. Beasant
6. Imgarmarson
7. Knight
8. Henderson
9. Rehman
10. Flitney

McGhee

1. Yeates
2. Benjamin
3. Iwelumo
4. Reid
5. Molango
6. Jarrett
7. Currie
8. Nicolas
9. Claridge
10. McGammon

I think that is the lot.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think you are way off the mark here Uncle Buck.

We actually had more money to spend under Coppell. We even managed to make an offer for Sidwell. We are miles from being able to do that this time around.

I think McCammon has done a good job, look how many games the team lost with him being involved.

To say Mcghee doesnt have good contacts is quite frankly hilarious

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Is it, look at the players brought in.

Coppell;

1. Blackwell
2. Rodger
3. Sidwell
4. Roberts
5. Beasant
6. Imgarmarson
7. Knight
8. Henderson
9. Rehman
10. Flitney

McGhee

1. Yeates
2. Benjamin
3. Iwelumo
4. Reid
5. Molango
6. Jarrett
7. Currie
8. Nicolas
9. Claridge
10. McGammon

I think that is the lot.

But, to be fair, McGhee is looking far more likely to keep us in this division aaand....

Coppell

Blackwell - crock
Roger - crock
Sidwell - fair play
Roberts - crock
Beasant - hmmm
Ingimarsson - fair play
Knight - Yep, I'll give you that
Henderson - how many goals from open play?
Rehman - shit
Flitney - shit

Yeates - decent player but did nothing
Benjamin - did a job
Iwelumo - I thought he was good
Reid - turning into a good player
Molango - well....
Jarrett - yep, strange one
Currie - third division player turned into a good palyer and a 250 grand profit.
Nicolas - excellent player
Claridge - desperation
McGammon - Look at the results since he's been playing for us...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here