Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee and Strikers

Nice try UB but as has been pointed out, Coppout had more money. Also, even ignoring that fact, there is not too much to call between the 2 lists. And it is my opinion that MM has got more from his players given their level of ability which puts him ahead.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Coppell

Blackwell - crock, put in a few good games though
Roger - crock, put in a few good games though
Sidwell - Quality - shame we did not sign him before Reading cam e sniffing
Roberts - crock - Agree
Beasant - did a job, and could be back
Ingimarsson - quality
Knight - quality when motivated
Henderson - did not rate him
Rehman - I thought Rehmann was ok when he got forward (Rushden away) but now he plays as a centre back for Fulham so shows why I am not a manager.
Flitney - a taller version than Chris May.

Yeates - did nothing
Benjamin - 1st touch of a donkey but got in where it hurt and did the job
Iwelumo - I liked him and thought he was good
Reid - turning into a good player - agree
Molango - looks good against poor opposition, Sidley, does not like a tackle
Jarrett - fast, does not like a tackle
Currie - third division player turned into a good palyer and a 250 grand profit - good
Nicolas - potential
Claridge - desperation - agree
McGammon - like benjamen but did not score

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
Soton Seagull said:
McGhee doesn't quite seem to sign strikers that deliver the goods. Perhaps this is purely a money thing.

This is what I believe the problem is.

Jul 20, 2003
Given our circumstances Reid & Nicolas are superb signings and Jarrett & Molango are both young enough to come good

these are additions to the squad and they're all young

Apart from Knight, Coppell's succesful signings were only ever going to be on loan (Ingimarsson & Sidwell) or were aged, damaged goods likely to break down at any time.

The loss of old crocks to injury and the reliance on loan players causes a lot of disruption to the first eleven.

MM has built a small squad where there is cover in each position - it is only when we lose both our options in a given position that we need to get a loan player in (GK).

MM has:

put 1/2 a million in the bank - and then returned a superb run of form
built a young squad that has the potential to get better
given us a very real chance of survival in this division

you know all this of course

regarding strikers - we're not going to get a good striker on loan from a Championship team, we're not going to sign a good striker from the league, we've tried to get good strikers on loan from the prem but have not had any luck

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
But, to be fair, McGhee is looking far more likely to keep us in this division aaand....

Coppell

Blackwell - crock
Roger - crock
Sidwell - fair play
Roberts - crock
Beasant - hmmm
Ingimarsson - fair play
Knight - Yep, I'll give you that
Henderson - how many goals from open play?
Rehman - shit
Flitney - shit

Yeates - decent player but did nothing
Benjamin - did a job
Iwelumo - I thought he was good
Reid - turning into a good player
Molango - well....
Jarrett - yep, strange one
Currie - third division player turned into a good palyer and a 250 grand profit.
Nicolas - excellent player
Claridge - desperation
McGammon - Look at the results since he's been playing for us...

looking at that way MM has proved his quality in finding players and knowing what talent is.

some good buys and well the Mcgammon quote never realised that he must have played a part in the good run

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
McGammon looks clumsy and not always a footballer but is it a coincidence that with him in our team we have had our best run of the season.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Uncle Buck said:
Would have been with us, if we had not haggled over a few hundred quid...

In retrospect I am glad we did haggle as he looked like a bag of pooh when he played for Brentford and Bristol city last season. Where is he now?

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
i think the championship is a much tougher league than the old div 1.

also coppell never gave youth players such as our two current england u21's a decent run.

Speaking to reading fans that seems to be the case at reading as well with coppell not giving youngsters a chance.

I would like to see MM put Jakey or Molango on the bench now and again. best way to give them expericend.
Also whenever I've seen jarrett play he's scared the hell out of defenders -why not stick him up front for 10 minutes or so in a game as he would undoubtedly give us 'something different'.

I'd rather see someone run at players than some big lump up front.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
He can do it - this from the Albion page on teamtalk

McCammon scored for Millwall reserves in Tuesday's 1-1 draw with QPR.

The Argus said he is discussing personal terms with Brighton

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
McCammon match report

Big Mac crashed his close range shot in OFF THE POST. It was his second goal of the season.

He's rubbish.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It is slightly bizarre thought hat he has given our young defenders a good run in the team, and Hammond played a lot of games early on, but Molango and Robinson, the scorers of our first two goals this season, haven't had the chance of a run in the side.

I suppose that is the result of us being in a purely results-orientated season, and maybe they'll get a look in for the rest of the season. Rather that than a loan striker getting the games. Unless - how much prize money per position in this league - much more for 16th compared to 18th?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here