Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MCC vs Sussex at Lords

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Agreed. It would be tragic if we were to lose another promising young keeper. Tricky situation at the moment, but hopefully Hodd can force his way in as a batsman if his path is blocked for the role behind the stumps. An average of 39/40 suggests he can play a part.

From what I saw last season, Hodd is a better keeper than Prior and so it should be Pror playing as a batsmen and Hodd as a keeper imo.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
From what I saw last season, Hodd is a better keeper than Prior and so it should be Pror playing as a batsmen and Hodd as a keeper imo.

Agreed, but it seems all the while he has ambitions to fight back into the England setup, he will get the nod ahead of Hodd. Hmm...

...although we have Brown coming through.

I can't see Sussex keeping three keepers on their books - one of them has to make it as a batsman only

Ah yes, I had forgotten about him. I caught the fag end of his innings against Sri Lanka A and looked to be a decent prospect.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Beer can be the toast of Sussex
By Bruce Talbot
Mushtaq Ahmed will not join up with his Sussex team-mates until Saturday.

But the county will have a leg-spinner in their side when they take on a strong MCC team in the curtain-raiser to the new domestic season at Lord's today.

Will Beer has won the battle with fellow spinners Tom Smith and Ollie Rayner to face an MCC side containing five players with international experience.

advertisement

Although coach Mark Robinson stressed that Smith and Rayner had both made strong claims, he insists that Beer, who will be making his first-team debut after only joining the staff in March, deserves his selection.

In his only pre-season appearance the 19-year-old from Crawley outbowled Yorkshire's more experienced leggies Adil Rashid - who is in the MCC side -- and Mark Lawson, taking 3-34 in the Pro-ARCH Trophy in Dubai.

Robinson said: "Neither Ollie or Tom could have done much more but we have decided to take a look at Will in a game which doesn't matter too much, even though we want to put in a good performance.

"He has done well in pre-season but, as is the case with Ollie and Tom, it is now about fulfilling promise.

"There will be a slot for a second spinner in our Championship team later in the season and in one-day cricket before then and it is very encouraging to have three young spinners vying for that place."

Sussex have sprung another surprise by selecting Rageb Aga for his first-class debut ahead of Chris Liddle.

Again it is a form selection after Aga impressed in last week's friendlies when he took seven wickets and scored a whirlwind 60 against Gloucestershire.

Ryan Harris finally had his registration ratified by the ECB at 6pm last night so he is clear to make his Sussex debut in a side packed with bowlers.

Infact, only Chris Adams and Matt Prior would not be classed as bowlers and Adams will utilise his options.

With only two days recovery before the Championship opener against Hampshire next Wednesday, the skipper wants his players coming to the boil nicely over the next four days rather than busting a gut.

Murray Goodwin joined the squad today but will not play which means Prior bats at five and Luke Wright at six - a position he covets in the Championship. Wright should also be able to do some bowling after coming through a workout at Lord's yesterday after two weeks on the sidelines with a sore shoulder.

Robinson said: "Luke is a proper batsman, his game is not just about smashing it out of the park. This is a good opportunity for him to spend time in the middle and build an innings."

The unluckiest player is undoubtedly Andrew Hodd. His lack of experience as an opener means the job of starting the innings goes to Carl Hopkinson and Chris Nash, even though Hodd has scored two first-class hundreds while his rivals are still waiting for their first one.

Hodd will probably open for the second team next week and Robinson has assured him that he will put pressure on Hopkinson and Nash if he performs.

"Hoddy has been desperately unlucky," added Robinson. "He has no experience of opening but he is a viable option if the other two don't perform. He will also keep Matt on his toes - like everyone, Matt knows he has got to perform to stay in the side because the competition for places this season is really strong."

Prior says he is still considering whether to try and get back into the England side as a batsman only.

The 25-year-old lost his place to Tim Ambrose in the winter after playing in ten Tests for England in 2007 and averaging 40 with the bat.

He said: "It's a very interesting one because I've played for England just as a batter before and feel I could do so again.

"I want to speak to (coach) Peter Moores and find out exactly where I stand and how I might fit in.

"If he says there's no chance of playing for England as a batter then I will stick to keeping. That is what I am concentrating on for Sussex at the moment."

Sussex: Nash, Hopkinson, Yardy, Adams (capt), Prior, Wright, Martin-Jenkins, Harris, Aga, Beer, Lewry.

7:30am today

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Here's hoping Moores tells him to try as a batsmen

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Tim I dont think we are going to go now coz of the weather Friday.

Can't wait for the county season to start now though:yahoo:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bedson appointed Sussex president

Former Brighton and Hove Albion chairman Bryan Bedson has been elected as president of Sussex. He held the Brighton chairmanship for five years, and told BBC Southern Counties Radio: "I am delighted and honoured with this appointment. I'm a lifelong Sussex fan and to hold the presidency in a year when we are defending our title as county champions makes the post even more prestigious."

Chief executive Gus Mackay added: "He will bring a wealth of experience. He is well known to those involved at the club having served on the committee in previous years."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here