Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mc Ghee Gives 4 Players 3 Months To Prove Themselves

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Norman Gall said:
Well, he was bought by Peter Taylor who:

a) Doesn't have a great record when it comes to signings (just ask Leicester)... Lee was also not in the Hull first team when we took him (and they were a poor third division side then).

I agree with those who think this is a waste of 4 months wages.

Hmm...Peter Taylor doesn't 'have a great record with signings' and yet has taken a 'poor' 3rd division side to promotion. Bit of a contradiction there, mate.

And let's not forget that the same Peter Taylor took us up, was manager of England for a while (and recognised David Beckham's potential as captain) and is so poor a judge of players that the FA want him to be manager of England Under 21s.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If we sign David Lee after his appearances to possible games ratio we must be completely losing the plot. I raelly cant comment on the kids because Ive really not seen enough of them but think that Piercy has shown enough to warrant another season.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I think this is simply clever man management. By doing this, MM does the following:

1. Gives Piercy a kick up the arse; I believe MM thinks that Piercy reckons he's owned a place in the squad, and MM wants him to have the mentality that he should earn it; and
2. Allows him to drop David Lee if he doesn't see a marked improvement by proving that he gave him the chance to redeem himself for his on-field performances (lack of)

MM is no idiot.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I agree with Comedy Steve, hopefully this will be a kick up the arse for Piercy and get himself in shape and prove he really is as good as everyone knows he is. If he was fit and at the top of his game he would be our best player and one of the stars of division one.

With Lee I am guessing that McGhee knows that the squad will not be deep and hopes that Lee will prove to have something that will make him a useful squad player, if not he will go in October and free up some money for MM to bring someone else in.

harry_h

Dec 30, 2003
Hove
Nine To Be Offered Deals

By Paul Camillin

Mark McGhee is to offer nine of his play-off winning squad new deals for next season in the Coca-Cola Championship. Over the coming weeks, McGhee and Chairman Dick Knight will discuss new contracts with Player Of The Season Guy Butters, Nathan Jones, Adam Virgo, Chris Iwelumo and Paul Reid.

McGhee has also revealed that John Piercy, David Lee, Dean Hammond and Dan Beck will be offered short-term deals from July until October; with the Albion boss urging them to prove they are worthy of longer contracts with Albion.

McGhee told the Argus, "I've told them [Piercy, Lee, Hammond and Beck] the reason they are not going now is that I think they have something we could use, but at the moment what they have got is no use to me.

"Dan and Dean are young lads who have got to push themselves. John and David are both mature players who at this stage should be banging my door to be in the tam and they are not doing that well enough. Something has got to change or they are going to be on their way."

McGhee has handed three of his players free transfers. Goalkeeper Stuart Jones, Geoff Pitcher and Mark Windsor have all been released.

and now that Chippy probably won't be available for the first few weeks of the season, what an incentive for Piercey to use the summer to get into proper shape.

Bit harsh tho, he was out injured for quite a while with a broken toe which presumably made it difficult to maintain his "ahem" fitness

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
dont know why lee is being kept. He's been here far too long to justify another deal.

like piercy but it would appear that he has an attitude problem. hope he sorts himself out as he is a good player.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
king Wombat said:

like piercy but it would appear that he has an attitude problem. hope he sorts himself out as he is a good player.

Disagree with that.

He obviously hasn't proved himself to be a decent player yet but what has he done to indicate he has an attitude problem?

mCgHEE obviously wants all of his players to be at the top of his form...therefore he gets a stronger squad..

It will hopefully stop Piercy sunning himself on beer and kebabs.

LC:rolleyes:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
think you should calm down loee is going to be on about 400 a week if that if he signs not a great deal mcghee will have the whole of pre season to look at him dont you think we should trust a manager who got a very very average team promoted

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i meet bob booker in burgess hill last summer and had a coffee with him and he told me in his eyes david lee was a talented footballer but had the wrong attitude and thought he was that good he was owed a place in the team! prehaps they are hoping this might be the kick up the arse he needs

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
fatboy said:
Disagree with that.

He obviously hasn't proved himself to be a decent player yet but what has he done to indicate he has an attitude problem?

reports of boozing and acting a bit of a wide boy - although mostly come from NSC.

Mcghee has on a number of times given him praise - yet since he got injured he hasnt really had a sniff at a starting position.
However, I would argue that Jones hasnt looked consistent enough in the leftwing position to keep the jersey. When piercey has come on for him I would say he looks far more effective.

Therefore seems fair enough to assume that he has an attitude problem??

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
saltash seagull said:
sorry but i dont remember watson being bought back in to a decent form

Funny you should say that. Nor do I.

:D :D

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I suspect that the message that has gone out to Piercy is designed to give him "encouragement" to up his performance. Let's hope that McGhee's tactics don't backfire though and Piercy simply looks for another club. We can ill afford to lose a player with such natural ability. I've no doubt that have yet seen the best of Piercy.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

larus

For all of you who write off Lee, just think of a fat, slow, useless, lumbering oaf of a center-back that we signed from Gillingham, and spent most of last season slating and then tried to sell for £5 on the internet.

I have not seen anything at all from Lee to impress me yet, but someone I sit next to at home games has seen him in the reserves and said he IS a very good player. Perhaps if we got off his case and gave him some encouragement we may see an improvement.

Sometimes as fans, we want instant results. Maybe he's like Grolsch - needs a bit more time.

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
larus said:
Sometimes as fans, we want instant results
David Lee joined us 27 months ago and has consistently shown himself to be below the standard required for Division 3. Keeping him for even 3-4 months is a disgraceful waste of resources that should be properly used elsewhere. I'm sure the rest of Division 1 are laughing their heads off.

He is RUBBISH.

Signing story

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Zebedee said:
I suspect that the message that has gone out to Piercy is designed to give him "encouragement" to up his performance. Let's hope that McGhee's tactics don't backfire though and Piercy simply looks for another club. We can ill afford to lose a player with such natural ability. I've no doubt that have yet seen the best of Piercy
problem is i remember saying the same thing last summer how long do we give him?i personally would have and hope eventully he gets another year cos at times he looks a quality player but maybe he does need a kick up the arse? just have to wait and see!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here