Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayo, Whing or El-Abd?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pity we no longer have Sam Rents. He was a little bit lightweight, but I think he could have matured into a very decent LB. His distribution was good, and he was decent coming forward as well.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
The answer is Doug Loft :thumbsup:

I actually think that's not such a bad idea.

do we not have a youth player that is a natrual left back?

Chris Brencher I believe. I still don't understand the reasoning for releasing Sonny Cobbs last season. He was meant to be one of the best youngsters we had at the club, and he was a left-back.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Pity we no longer have Sam Rents. He was a little bit lightweight, but I think he could have matured into a very decent LB. His distribution was good, and he was decent coming forward as well.

I agree with this also. Why we decided to released at the time three left-backs, when there was no-one else there, is rather strange.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I saw Rents play at Tranmere, and he looked really promising: pace, good movement on and off the ball etc. and yep I was surprised to see him leave at the end of last season.

His only problem was that he always seemed to be in arrears off the pitch instead of on it. ahem. bum bum.

Kosh

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Rents had a chance against Millwall and Yeovil over the Christmas period last season, and was terrible. He showed so much promise, then when he got his chance he blew it.

He is talented enough. Wilkins tried to toughen him by playing him centre back in the reserves but it didnt work out. One of Rents or Cobbs should have been kept when Mayo was released.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
LB: Whing
CB: Elphick
CB: Hinshelwood
RB: VIrgo

Seems the only sensible option to me - I'm sure many will disagree however.

Sorry am I the only one who finds this combination of young talented footballers exciting. I think they have the makings of an excellent defensive combination - if the left back position can be sorted out with a left footer.

If Adams does not play Mayo when he is our ONLY leftback, then why the feck did he re-sign him?

I agree with the sentiment on Sam Rents, always liked him and thought he was worth keeping hold of. Surely is salary was a pittance?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Sorry am I the only one who finds this combination of young talented footballers exciting. I think they have the makings of an excellent defensive combination - if the left back position can be sorted out with a left footer.

Yes not bad really, but what is in front of them that worries me. What do we have in the midfield and the front players are not the best for holding the ball up the field. So this little group of talented youngsters could come under some tremendous pressure.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
cant we have lynch back from forest?
what about mcleod is he not left footed?

No we can't have Lynch back. He doesn't want to be here and Adams wouldn't play him.

McLeod is left footed. It doesn't make him a LB as he doesn't have the defensive capabilities.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Also I believe that Forest have payed a fee for Lynch's services (on top of paying his wages), making it unlikely in the extreme that we would recall him in any circumstance.

he's right footed and has an appalling left foot

So why is he being played in the left side central defensive position then? I am convinced he uses his left foot more than his right.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I know he's not fit yet but can't Livermore play left back?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I seem to remember Livermore filling in at left back earlier this season for us, but as usual I was probably imagining the whole thing!

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Mayo is fit and Adams gave him a contract so sorry but if he plays someone else at left back what was the point???

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Mayo is fit and Adams gave him a contract so sorry but if he plays someone else at left back what was the point???

He's only played 10 minutes of "proper" football since getting a pretty bad knee injury three months ago? I would say it wouldn't be right to chuck him in for 90 minutes now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here