Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayo,reid and Hart

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Reid, to a point, can play RB, RM and CM, so he's a more than useful squad player. If the wages are sensible, then I would welcome him back.

With Harty and Kerry, nobody is under any illusions - we know exactly what they are and are not capable of at this stage. If the price is right and MA thinks they are worthy of a squad place then that's his call. What's certainly NOT correct though are the comments, that 'Kerry may be worth some kind of deal because we currently have no LB'. That's a very poor argument - there's plenty of time to go out and get one.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
THE ONE THING WE HAVEN'T GOT IS DEPTH AND THEY COULD ADD THAT AT THE RIGHT PRICE

If you look at the positions Hart and Reid play we've allready got enough players who can do a job in those positions, What we need now is quality players who can make a difference.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Reid, to a point, can play RB, RM and CM, so he's a more than useful squad player. If the wages are sensible, then I would welcome him back.

With Harty and Kerry, nobody is under any illusions - we know exactly what they are and are not capable of at this stage. If the price is right and MA thinks they are worthy of a squad place then that's his call. What's certainly NOT correct though are the comments, that 'Kerry may be worth some kind of deal because we currently have no LB'. That's a very poor argument - there's plenty of time to go out and get one.

spot on

i would keep only reid of the three as he is versatile. he has also played left back before under mcghee, and although not natural there he could do a job - just as good a job as mayo, who if kept would only be cover

if mayo gets a contract it would be like admitting defeat in our hunt for a left back - i would rather see money that would pay his wages going on a player that is actually going to improve the squad. not forgetting that most loan signings dont occur until a week before the season when other managers have assessed where players will fit into their plans, and signing mayo would be a huge backwards, and somewhat lazy step

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I really cannot understand how anyone thinks Hart coming back is a good idea?? He's done well for the club, but now he should move on, he is not good enough.

The only one that I wouldn't mind and can possibly see coming back would be Reid, as he is versatile, but I still don't think he's as good as he used to be.

As for Mayo, he did really well for us towards the end of the season but I do think that wouldn't be the case if he came back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If any of the 3 are not signed to a club it makes logical sense to allow them to train with us and give MA the opportunity to see for himself if any of them are worth reconsidering.

I expect to see Mayo starting the Newhaven knowledge in the next few weeks.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As for Mayo, he did really well for us towards the end of the season but I do think that wouldn't be the case if he came back.

He ALWAYS shifts his fat arse into gear at the end of the season just enough to 'earn' another year's contract. Shameful he's got away with it as long as he has.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He ALWAYS shifts his fat arse into gear at the end of the season just enough to 'earn' another year's contract. Shameful he's got away with it as long as he has.

Very shortly he'll being learning how to shift a Newhaven taxi into gear.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I would take Reidy on, but OGH and Mayo have had their time here.

Disagree on that one as the only person i would keep would be Gary Hart

Still worth it as cover as more versatile, Fitter, Stronger, Quicker (although not like he used to be) And less injury prone

Edit: He also bleeds blue and white and gives 110% (even if his passion means he gets sent off occasionally)

Oct 25, 2003
would reid actually want to sign? he'd probably be a squad player and didn't he have a bit of a hissy fit WHILST COMMENTATING ON A GAME when he was left out of the team once?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Still worth it as cover as more versatile, Fitter, Stronger, Quicker (although not like he used to be) And less injury prone

Edit: He also bleeds blue and white and gives 110% (even if his passion means he gets sent off occasionally)

I disagree. His game revolved around pace and sadly he has not been able to return to the player he was since his broken leg. Useful if we want to stick around in this league for a few years (possibly), but I don't think he offers enough. Less injury prone is a bit far fetched. He always seemed to be injured at the wring time, just when he might be needed.

Sadly, I think his wages would be better spent on one for the future or towards a player that will propel us towards the Championship.

He had chances in the 06/07 season and never quite managed to pin down a spot or convince us that the old OGH was still there.

I would love to be proved wrong though.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I disagree. His game revolved around pace and sadly he has not been able to return to the player he was since his broken leg. Useful if we want to stick around in this league for a few years (possibly), but I don't think he offers enough. Less injury prone is a bit far fetched. He always seemed to be injured at the wring time, just when he might be needed.

Sadly, I think his wages would be better spent on one for the future or towards a player that will propel us towards the Championship.

He had chances in the 06/07 season and never quite managed to pin down a spot or convince us that the old OGH was still there.

I would love to be proved wrong though.

I just have a feeling you might be

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

more versatile - mayo can play left back, centre back, central midfield, left midfield at a push. reid can play right midfield, centre midfield, right back, left back at a push

fitness can be improved in training. hart doesnt really have much pace at all anymore, which is especially worrying as he would need it wide on the right as he doesnt have the skill to beat a man, and upfront as he is not a target-man type of player

less injury prone than reid easier, but i cant remember mayo ever having a period of time out with injury

hart is the one who i would be less keen to stay as he is not what we need and on the last 18 months has simply not been up to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here