Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maynard put up for sale!

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
Who's top of the league? I think our game has been very effective. It's not long ball and it tore you lot a new one! Nothing to do with Service, I have seen on the highlights CMS blow absolute sitters as he's not a natural finisher. Even at P'boro he took 10 chances to stick it in the net...

nothing to do with service! you must be joking pal. half the chances cms has had he created with his own hard graft. yes you are top of the league and good luck to you. how many balls have been played into lambert to create a scoring chance? i would not have a clue but i bet its a world away from those given to cms. its not maybe the ability of the goalscorer in question, its the chances that are created for him. for example if lambert h ad played for us saturday would he have got on the end of the ball in the 90th minute? no chance he would of been flat on his back. im not knocking ricky he is very good at what he does, but like i said two different players two different team playing styles. i hope i have not offended you!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Answer honestly now,
Have you been to any games this season?

I've been to every game this season and seen CMS miss some sitters. He only scored 11 at this level before with Posh so isn't a proven Championship striker (if you count 20 goals as proven)
Huddersfield have already said they are not letting Rhodes go, so we can forget that.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
All those linked clubs should be head and shoulders better options to be honest and wouldn't want to compete if one or two seriously wanted him and had to match their fee and wages :O

Q.P.R. 3/1
Leicester 3/1
Wolves 4/1
Newcastle 6/1
Southampton 6/1
Aston Villa 6/1
Fulham 8/1

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
CMS 22 games 6 goals, if that is setting the world on fire and justifies £3m quid spent when we could have kept Murray (who is incidentally 16 games 5 goals) then pass me the rum I want to join planet happy with you lot.

Don't get me wrong I think at times the lad has shown that he is a quality player and has allot of potential but he looks half the player he did last year. Maybe that is the team he is playing in, we'll never know. My concern is his goal tally when he last played at this level wasn't anything to write home about I just hope we haven't bought a dud.

We dont play to his strengths

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
CMS 22 games 6 goals, if that is setting the world on fire and justifies £3m quid spent when we could have kept Murray (who is incidentally 16 games 5 goals) then pass me the rum I want to join planet happy with you lot.

Don't get me wrong I think at times the lad has shown that he is a quality player and has allot of potential but he looks half the player he did last year. Maybe that is the team he is playing in, we'll never know. My concern is his goal tally when he last played at this level wasn't anything to write home about I just hope we haven't bought a dud.
I don't think we have to be honest. It's not just the goals, although clearly that is what he is there for. I think his movement and work rate is fantastic, and for all his lack of composure at times (which sadly cost us a point against Burnley) he is sometimes unplayable. His performance in the second half against Leeds was incredible - possibly the best example of forward play I can remember from anyone in a Brighton shirt, even going as far back as Dean Saunders.

Very few of us are going to disagree that CMS and Murray in the same team would probably have seen us in a fantastic position, but CMS seems to me to be a longer term investment. I'm willing to bet he's better to have about the place than Murray would have been - more enthusiastic, fewer issues, and a model pro. Unbelievable fit and has just broken into his national side. We might not see the level of consistency we're hoping from him this season, but next season we just might. Fewer injuries and better discipline and the addition of one or two key players could see CMS doing what he did in the division below.
There have been times

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
We dont play to his strengths

You are completely correct because rightly or wrongly Poyet won't adapt his style of football to suit CMS. CMS had one of his better games for us on Saturday because we had no choice but to give him the ball when going forward.

Do I think CMS can become the hero some of you already think he is? Yeah of course, he's got the potential to. He proved at Peterborough that he is a quality goal scorer BUT he's certainly not living up to the hype of his price tag here yet.

This thread does highlight how blinkered some people are with their blue and white tinted specs on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This thread does highlight how blinkered some people are with their blue and white tinted specs on.
It's worse than that.

Ankergren drops the ball away to Middlesbrough which ended up costing us a point (despite 70 minutes still needing to be played) and provokes a 10 page thread with half the contributors calling for Poyet to buy a new keeper.

The very next game, and CMS misses a routine chance in the last minute, which also cost us a point. He did this despite having two bites at the cherry (and with ONE player standing on the goal line, he shot straight at him) and I didn't see anyone asking for him to be dropped, let alone replaced.

In some people's eyes, Ankegren will always be crap and CMS will always be a legend. Very odd.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Well first off, we have no chance of getting Maynard. We may well be able to afford him (his price will have dropped from the summer as he now only has 6 months to run on his contract) but the lad is looking for a step up nd t the moment we are very much a step sideways.

As for CMS at the moment I am worried by his finishing (or lack of) it may just be a confidence thing but with the lack of chances we are creating we have to start sticking away the ones that we do get.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It's worse than that.

Ankergren drops the ball away to Middlesbrough which ended up costing us a point (despite 70 minutes still needing to be played) and provokes a 10 page thread with half the contributors calling for Poyet to buy a new keeper.

The very next game, and CMS misses a routine chance in the last minute, which also cost us a point. He did this despite having two bites at the cherry (and with ONE player standing on the goal line, he shot straight at him) and I didn't see anyone asking for him to be dropped, let alone replaced.

In some people's eyes, Ankegren will always be crap and CMS will always be a legend. Very odd.

Brighton fans have always loved a trier. It's why we kept hold of the likes of Mayo and Hart for so long when they were well past their sell by date. It just so happens now that our biggest "trier" is also our most expensive signing ever AND a quality player.

Doesn't distract from the fact that CMS best performance this season was for Scotland against Spain. I'm not suggesting for a second he's been crap for us but it highlights that either Poyet has to adapt how the whole team plays to suit CMS or CMS has to adapt his style of play to suit the Poyet way. Personally I'd hope we did the former but rather suspect given the form so far it'll have to be the latter. Whether CMS can do that is yet to be seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here