Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] May 2021 local elections and Hartlepool by-election

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
I’m not sure but I’m going to hazard a guess that it’s not Tory-lite

I think you might be wrong. Labour has lost it's traditional vote, a swing to the left won't get them back. To get into power labour need to position themselves as a moderate party, with some decent environmental and socially aware policies, in order to win the middle class vote. they should also work closely with the lib dems and the greens (and SNP too). Once in power, if they manage to create jobs in areas like Hartlepool etc, then they might win back their old voting base, but it'll take a generation.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
How many disastrous electoral results are needed before the penny drops?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Nice to see you’re avoiding the points re corruption and the woeful response to Covid. Still, I suppose you have to do some pretty mad cognitive gymnastics to convince yourself it’s all ok :thumbsup:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Nice to see you’re avoiding the points re corruption and the woeful response to Covid. Still, I suppose you have to do some pretty mad cognitive gymnastics to convince yourself it’s all ok [emoji106]
Says the person avoiding the point that blaming the electorate/anyone else after 11 years in opposition doesn't seem to be helping ... do carry on though [emoji106]

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I think you might be wrong. Labour has lost it's traditional vote, a swing to the left won't get them back. To get into power labour need to position themselves as a moderate party, with some decent environmental and socially aware policies, in order to win the middle class vote. they should also work closely with the lib dems and the greens (and SNP too). Once in power, if they manage to create jobs in areas like Hartlepool etc, then they might win back their old voting base, but it'll take a generation.

Funny thing is, Corbyn’s policies are considered centre left in large parts of European politics (and seemed popular amongst the electorate, especially the youth). It really shows how far to the right we have lurched in the last decade that these progressive politics are considered in anyway “far left”.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Says the person avoiding the point that blaming the electorate/anyone else after 11 years in opposition doesn't seem to be helping ... do carry on though [emoji106]

The only people I’m blaming are the Tories and their utter contempt for the British public. If you buy into that sort of thing, that’s your look out.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Not sure what mental gymnastics you're doing to blame the tories for their victories. I posit, that perhaps if people vote for the tories in spite of corruption or whatever ism you'd like to level at their feet, it says something about the quality (or lackthereof) of their opposition. Labour are unpalatable and will remain so for the foreseeable. 'Labour didn't get their message out' my f*cking eye, people saw the message and said f*ck that noise.

[tweet]1390534120539926533[/tweet]

Last edited:

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
Funny thing is, Corbyn’s policies are considered centre left in large parts of European politics (and seemed popular amongst the electorate, especially the youth). It really shows how far to the right we have lurched in the last decade that these progressive politics are considered in anyway “far left”.

Politics is all about how you package things. People now equate the 'left' with Owen Jones type ***** and the metropolitan elites. However, if you give them a leftist policy, for example 'raise the minimum wage' or 'fund the NHS' they'll generally agree with it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The only people I’m blaming are the Tories and their utter contempt for the British public. If you buy into that sort of thing, that’s your look out.
Nah, your previous posts suggest otherwise. Be honest, the working classes are a crushing dissapoinment for radical middle class lefties as they don't understand what's good for them and keep voting against their own interests .... correct comrade? [emoji6]

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Politics is all about how you package things. People now equate the 'left' with Owen Jones type ***** and the metropolitan elites. However, if you give them a leftist policy, for example 'raise the minimum wage' or 'fund the NHS' they'll generally agree with it.

Mad isn’t it that people like Owen Jones are considered “the elite” yet Etonian Boris “my six figure salary is chicken feed” Johnson is considered “a man of the people”. What a time to be alive.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

If Corbyn is considered centre left in large parts of European politics then it seems to me we should give the European political theatre a wide berth as soon as possible.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Nah, your previous posts suggest otherwise. Be honest, the working classes are a crushing dissapoinment for radical middle class lefties as they don't understand what's good for them and keep voting against their own interests .... correct comrade? [emoji6]

Ah yes, because I oppose the Tories and point out government failings and corruption that sycophants like yourself want to sweep under the rug, I must be a communist or some kind of far left nutter. What an astute observation you’ve made :moo:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
We literally have one of the best vaccination programmes in the world. It’s been a truly remarkable effort saving thousands of lives. Or are we not allowed to count that?

Yes it has been great. But it doesn’t justify the tragic failings that happened previously.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
We literally have one of the best vaccination programmes in the world. It’s been a truly remarkable effort saving thousands of lives. Or are we not allowed to count that?
But ... but ..
the vaccines magically appeared out of thin air thanks to the NHS and were in no way secured after private companies investing in vaccine research part funded by the UK government produced life saving vaccines which the UK vaccine task force, set up by HMG, then ordered ASAP in watertight legally binding contracts saving thousands of lives and having a huge life saving and economic benefit for the UK ..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If Corbyn is considered centre left in large parts of European politics then it seems to me we should give the European political theatre a wide berth as soon as possible.

It hasn’t led to left wing European governments or parliaments across all of Europe.

Macron follows an ever more right agenda in fending off Le Pen (Owen Jones has written about this since 2018), a pro Franco party has a sizeable chunk of the Spanish parliament, Slovenia, Hungary and Poland have hard right presidents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here