Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matty Prior - All Sussex & Brighton Fans Are Very Very Proud Of You !!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
How the hell has Look Right managed to sneak in??

England 15-man ICC World Cup squad
Andrew Strauss (Middlesex, captain)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Paul Collingwood (Durham)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
Kevin Pietersen (Surrey)
Matt Prior (Sussex)
Ajmal Shahzad (Yorkshire)
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)
James Tredwell (Kent)
Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)
Luke Wright (Sussex)
Michael Yardy (Sussex)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Luke has played in most of our games for the last couple of years and with Collingwood out of form I presume he's the extra bowler, strong fielder, big-hitter

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
From listening to Andy Flower it seems that have picked players that will thrive on the sub continent, which is why Woakes and Tremeltt haven't ben included. I think Wright is very much part of the side now and they don't want to chop and change too much this close to the WC. Prior has performed on the sub continent before where the other keepers haven't, plus he's in great form and is very good for the side motivationally. Good move but I think he should be keeper in all forms anyway, though not sure whether he should open.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
From listening to Andy Flower it seems that have picked players that will thrive on the sub continent, which is why Woakes and Tremeltt haven't ben included. I think Wright is very much part of the side now and they don't want to chop and change too much this close to the WC. Prior has performed on the sub continent before where the other keepers haven't, plus he's in great form and is very good for the side motivationally. Good move but I think he should be keeper in all forms anyway, though not sure whether he should open.

He likes the ball coming onto him and that is the only real time you get it in one day cricket, so often the middle overs (especially in the sub continent which I presume will be dominated by spin) you have to work the singles which I don't think he is too good at. I really think he could open like he does for the Sharks and if he gets out to the new ball, well we still have classy batsman in the hutch for the middle overs to work the singles. Who were you thinking of Strauss and ??

I assume that Prior will open with Strauss. I'm surprised they've persisted with Luke Wright, who just hasn't looked like an international cricketer when I've seen him playing for England. I would have taken Samit Patel, but they continue to ignore him on a fitness basis (despite him seemingly being fit enough to play every game for Notts).

One of the hallmarks of Flower's/Strauss' England has been the consistency of selection; given this, the manner in which they've flitted between wicketkeepers has been surprising. To pick Prior out of nowhere when he's not even in the current ODI squad (until today at least) is strange; has one Twenty20 knock for Victoria (in Aus, not the subcontinent) really convinced them of his merits? I also would have taken Kieswetter as a batsman, probably in place of Trott.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

I thought you were going to say that, Bell is a lovely batsman to watch and I don't have any probelms if he does open, but if your top order was Strauss, Prior, Pietersen, Bell, Colly, Morgan, then all rounders I think you could get something from all the first 6 with Matt given the licence to tee off.

If Matt doesn't open he is going in at 6/7 maybe 8 and you just won't get anything out of him unless we are in trouble and if we are because of the match situation he is going to have to nurdle the singles which I don't think he is too good at.

Also I do think if the new ball takes a few from an England team postion it is better that it is Matt than Bell, because even as an ardent Sussex fan I will admit that Bell is a better bat than Matt.

I think the likely first choice team is;

Strauss (c), Prior (w), Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Morgan, Yardy, Broad, Bresnan, Swann, Anderson

You then have three pace bowlers (Anderson, Broad, Bresnan), two spinners (Yardy, Swann) and Collingwood to bowl some cutters if the conditions are right.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Trott's a better batsmen than Kieswetter and Kieswetter is only good with pace on the ball, and looked poor last year. Patel's decent but our success is built around fielding as a team and Patel can't do that.

I'd open with Bell and Strauss and have Prior lower down tha order at 3 if Trott's not playing, at 5 if he is

Trott's a better batsmen than Kieswetter and Kieswetter is only good with pace on the ball, and looked poor last year. Patel's decent but our success is built around fielding as a team and Patel can't do that.

I'd open with Bell and Strauss and have Prior lower down tha order at 3 if Trott's not playing, at 5 if he is

If I had Kieswetter in the side it would be as opener, with Prior at 3. However I take your point about Trott being a technically better batsmen. They need a balance between big hitters and accumulators, and I'm concerned that having Trott, Bell and Collingwood in the same side (if indeed they do) is one too many accumulators. I also don't think Kieswetter was really given a fair crack of the whip; he's certainly had nowhere near as many opportunities as Luke Wright!

Patel is actually a pretty good fielder; his exclusion is about attitude rather than any lack of ability. He hasn't shown the desire to get fit, and that's been interpreted (fairly, IMO) as a lack of desire to play for his country. The other alternative to Wright would be Bopara, who looks a technically better batsmen who could contribute a few overs of medium pace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here