Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mattock to Sheff Weds?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Whatever we offered Mattock, if anything, it would appear that in the round he preferred to move to Sheff Weds. Not an terribly inspiring start to the season. Next up it wouldn't surprise me if Grant Hall joined Spurs (wtf didn't we offer him a new contract earlier?) and Lewis Dunk moves to another club in the Premiership with Liam Bridcutt. We'll then be well and truly in the poo but at least Dicker, Harley and Painter will still be with us. Happy days.

dont-panic.jpg

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
we aint doomed..... but that was Wednesdays third signing, inc Chris Kirkland.

what do we have. f*ck all but rumours of a keeper being bunked into a Fatboy slim gig.

:lolol:

As alluded to on another thread re: Mattock, certain players might not necessarily 'connect' with Gus. I think we, as BHA fans, can be a bit blinkered, and just assume that Gus is everything to everyman, which is undoubtably not the case.

(CM disclaimer - should this turn out to be a shite/unpopular post (or both) - it was written under the influence of several bottles of Cobra)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Hi fellas. Sheffield Wednesday fan here.

I wouldn't believe all you read in the press to be honest. We may have been linked to Mattock but that's not quite the same as signing him.

We've been linked to numerous players but so far have only signed two freebies in Chris Kirkland from Wigan and Kieran Lee from Oldham.

Our Chairman, Milan Mandaric, like your own, likes to be careful with the finances. If Mattock is after the £20k per week some of you suggest, I doubt we'll be signing him tbh. I can't see any of our players being on any more than £10k per week.

Good luck next season and looking forward to playing you again. I hear your new stadium is much better than your last home and I'm glad you managed to move in at last.

Whatever tickets you let us have when we play you at yours we'll sell, so hopefully can bring the Wednesday away experience to you to add to the atmosphere.

Off to watch Poland v Greece shortly. Have a great season.

Nice post but not sure I agree about Mandaric being careful with finances unless he's learnt a lot since his Portsmouth days!

Shame about Mattock but not the end of the world. GK, centre mid and striker are more important positions for us to fill. In sure there are other good left backs we can go after.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Done deal.

Shame, but there is plenty of time to pursue alternatives.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
:lolol:

As alluded to on another thread re: Mattock, certain players might not necessarily 'connect' with Gus. I think we, as BHA fans, can be a bit blinkered, and just assume that Gus is everything to everyman, which is undoubtably not the case.

(CM disclaimer - should this turn out to be a shite/unpopular post (or both) - it was written under the influence of several bottles of Cobra)

Au contraire - it seems to clarify your thinking :lol:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I have a feeling that we will all be pleasantly surprised by our signings this summer. Maybe Gus' attitude to signing Mattock was similar to that of signing Murray last year. Only at the right price?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
A couple of things, Grant Hall is NOT a LB, he covered this position against Saints because we had no other options.

Secondly, it's quite clear that he wanted a lot more money than we were prepared to pay and/or he wanted a move closer to home. I have absolute confidence that we will not start the season with Painter/Vincelot at LB. Something tells me that Poyet/Burke has a cheaper and adequate option as Mattocks replacement.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I have a feeling that we will all be pleasantly surprised by our signings this summer. Maybe Gus' attitude to signing Mattock was similar to that of signing Murray last year. Only at the right price?

Seems the case I feel as if he was that keen we would have really gone out of our way to get him..

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Utter bollocks to suggest he is getting 20k! Probably 7k max. Gutted we didn't get him but did we even offer him a deal? If we did, rather than bitch about club size and all that crap its probably a mix of family and wages. It doesn't take that big a difference in offer to swing it. 1k extra a week makes a huge difference!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
He can go to Sheffield and take his shaven balls with him - didnt want him setting an example to the rest of the team with that :moo:

But seriously, the club need to pull their finger out and start signing some players or we are risking missing out - cant leave it to the last minute.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Disappointing but we won't be signing anyone until gus gets back from uruguay & barber takes up his post. Mattock obviously wanted to get something tied up ASAP. I'm confident that we will have someone decent in place by August

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here