Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mattock to Sheff Weds?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Is this a joke!!! Our new stadium, ambition, plans for increased capacity, plans for new football academy, amount of season ticket holders would suggest its you how knows shit all about football

This is priceless. Although I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

But because we have a new stadium which is going to be expanded to 31,000, a football academy (I assume you think we are the only Championship side with one), and a large number of season ticket holders means you think we are bigger than Sheff Wed and should be attracting players they are signing? (I assume you think we are bigger than Leeds and Forest as well).

I can only think this really tragic billy big bollocks about size from certain people is down to young fans who are celebrating their first anniversary of supporting the Albion, who have only ever seen a shiny new stadium and have seen some larger clubs struggle in divisions below us.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Painter's not fit to wear the stripes any more.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well the way I see it is he is the best left back we've had at the club for over 10 years. We havn't signed him for whatever reasons (whether Gus didnt quite like him or we didnt offer him enough money) but either way we only have Marcus Painter as repacement (id prefer to see Vincelot there but Gus prefers Painter) which in my opinion is a big mistake. Until we do get a decent replacement of course

Poyet described Mattock as an option which says to me that he wasn't the main target. I would be very surprised if we don't have a new LB in place before the season starts.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Painter's not fit to wear the stripes any more.

That's very harsh. I don't think anyone would suggest Painter isn't a whole-hearted play who's given fine service. He's probably (probably) always going to struggle at Championship level especially because of a lack of pace. So yes, we need another left back.

But "not fit to wear the shirt"? Over the top IMO.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Poyet described Mattock as an option which says to me that he wasn't the main target. I would be very surprised if we don't have a new LB in place before the season starts.

Hope that you are right. Marcus Painter wont let us down if thrown in but isnt the ciomplete answer, only due to his lack of pace, otherwise he would be ok ability wise etc..

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
This is priceless. Although I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

But because we have a new stadium which is going to be expanded to 31,000, a football academy (I assume you think we are the only Championship side with one), and a large number of season ticket holders means you think we are bigger than Sheff Wed and should be attracting players they are signing? (I assume you think we are bigger than Leeds and Forest as well).

I can only think this really tragic billy big bollocks about size from certain people is down to young fans who are celebrating their first anniversary of supporting the Albion, who have only ever seen a shiny new stadium and have seen some larger clubs struggle in divisions below us.

The point im making is that people like yourselves have a rediculously defeatest attitude. The direction of the club and the future that TB and GP have laid out for us im sure would disagree with your views too.
Too many people think that because a team like Sheffied Wednesday, Forest or Leeds come along, we might aswell not bother and admit defeat. Well I think thats bollox. As a player if your going to be playing at a breand new stadium in front of 30,000 fans every week, playing for one of the most exciting young managers around and brand new training facilities, the only thing it comes down to is money. And for what its worth i think theres a few quality players out there for whom money isnt everything and would sacrifice a bit extra a week to play the style of football we do, under a manager with exciting ideas. Im not saying were one of the bigger clubs in the league but we are definitely an exciting prospect for any young footballing talent.

Also for what its worth im 25 and its not having a 'Billy big bollocks' attitude, but when you sign a 30 year old spaniard who was valued at £30m not too long ago and having a good run at the playoffs in our previous season its about having a belief that when we do come up against a Leeds or a Sheffield Wednesday for a players signature we have more than a decent chance.

Im tired of some of the so called 'old guard' Albion fans who still have this rediculous defeatest attitude, think we should run off with our tail between our legs if a bigger team comes along and continue using phrases like could do a job'

Its about time you realise we are going places, Bloom and Poyet have a plan that ends up in Premier League football, that doesnt involve shying away and refusing to mix it with teams before mentioned when it comes to transfers. I dont think thats being a Billy Big bollocks at all

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't see why 'Billy Big Bollocks' is usually used as a negative term to label someone!

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
The point im making is that people like yourselves have a rediculously defeatest attitude. The direction of the club and the future that TB and GP have laid out for us im sure would disagree with your views too.
Too many people think that because a team like Sheffied Wednesday, Forest or Leeds come along, we might aswell not bother and admit defeat. Well I think thats bollox. As a player if your going to be playing at a breand new stadium in front of 30,000 fans every week, playing for one of the most exciting young managers around and brand new training facilities, the only thing it comes down to is money. And for what its worth i think theres a few quality players out there for whom money isnt everything and would sacrifice a bit extra a week to play the style of football we do, under a manager with exciting ideas. Im not saying were one of the bigger clubs in the league but we are definitely an exciting prospect for any young footballing talent.

Also for what its worth im 25 and its not having a 'Billy big bollocks' attitude, but when you sign a 30 year old spaniard who was valued at £30m not too long ago and having a good run at the playoffs in our previous season its about having a belief that when we do come up against a Leeds or a Sheffield Wednesday for a players signature we have more than a decent chance.

Im tired of some of the so called 'old guard' Albion fans who still have this rediculous defeatest attitude, think we should run off with our tail between our legs if a bigger team comes along and continue using phrases like could do a job'

Its about time you realise we are going places, Bloom and Poyet have a plan that ends up in Premier League football, that doesnt involve shying away and refusing to mix it with teams before mentioned when it comes to transfers. I dont think thats being a Billy Big bollocks at all

Good post.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I think that is correct. If we really are targetting players like Kuszczak then it suggests we may be looking for players who can take us up and then play in the Premier League. Mattock failed to do that at West Brom so maybe we are after someone better.

Personally, I thought Mattock did well but will wait and see who we get this summer before judging whether we missed out on players.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

here here.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I did a poll of the loanees and 93% wanted to signed to sign Mattock, only one of the loanees to get above 50%. I was not one of the 93%. The only loanee I wanted to sign was Assulin.

If we sign four players, I figure a central midfielder, another striker and central defender all come ahead in importance, with left back the fourth most important position. I don't think Painter is as bad as some people make out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As a mere 69 year old, well nearly, so 68yr old, I believe that these are the most exciting times that I can remember at The Albion and am sure that I will see us in The Premier Division in the very near future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here