Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Tubbs

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Glasgow Rangers and an unnamed Championship side, rumoured to be Peterborough?

I don't mean to be disrespectful here, but if Rangers and a Championship side actually made a firm bid for him, then he wouldn't be signing for Bournemouth, would he?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I don't mean to be disrespectful here, but if Rangers and a Championship side actually made a firm bid for him, then he wouldn't be signing for Bournemouth, would he?

Not sure they asked enough, Crawley i think only just about accepted the 800k from B/mouth. Also its his home town as well, not sure that played a part in his decision.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not sure they asked enough, Crawley i think only just about accepted the 800k from B/mouth. Also its his home town as well, not sure that played a part in his decision.

Exactly my point. I honestly don't believe any Championship (or above) clubs were prepared to gamble on him, and the clubs at the top of League One are all doing fine for goalscorers, so I reckon Bournemouth were the only club prepared to stump up what Crawley wanted for him. None of the other mid table teams in League One are going to spend £800k on a striker.

It's a funny one really- Tubbs has been a prolific goalscorer for years in non league and now League Two, and yet nobody has ever seemed to want to take a gamble on him. Look at some of the other strikers who've been snapped up from non league- Beckford, Mackail-Smith, Aaron McLean, Charlie Austin and so on. Most of them scored fewer goals than Tubbs. I've always wondered what it is that has deterred clubs from putting in offers for him. Does he lack pace? That's the only thing I can think of. Speed (of body and of thought) is what tends to be the difference between players at the highest level, and the rest.

It may well pay off handsomely for Bournemouth, he certainly seems to know where the goal is. Or he may get exposed, and be the third division's most expensive flop. Be interesting to find out.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Exactly my point. I honestly don't believe any Championship (or above) clubs were prepared to gamble on him, and the clubs at the top of League One are all doing fine for goalscorers, so I reckon Bournemouth were the only club prepared to stump up what Crawley wanted for him. None of the other mid table teams in League One are going to spend £800k on a striker.

It's a funny one really- Tubbs has been a prolific goalscorer for years in non league and now League Two, and yet nobody has ever seemed to want to take a gamble on him. Look at some of the other strikers who've been snapped up from non league- Beckford, Mackail-Smith, Aaron McLean, Charlie Austin and so on. Most of them scored fewer goals than Tubbs. I've always wondered what it is that has deterred clubs from putting in offers for him. Does he lack pace? That's the only thing I can think of. Speed (of body and of thought) is what tends to be the difference between players at the highest level, and the rest.

It may well pay off handsomely for Bournemouth, he certainly seems to know where the goal is. Or he may get exposed, and be the third division's most expensive flop. Be interesting to find out.

I've wondered that for a while as well, been glad that he has stayed at Crawley as his goals have got them to where they are, it might be his heights that put clubs off as he is a bit of a short arse!!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Crawley 0 Swindon 3 at broadfields earlier this season suggests otherwise

I was at that game as it goes and it was a shocker of a game, both sides were terrible, but Swindown took their 3 chances, not a great advert for football, but all teams have off days, Brighton 1 Palace 3 ring any bells.

I was also at the games at home to southend and Oxford where they tore the oppo apart with a brand of football way above league 2.

tewksburygull

Dec 17, 2004
tewkesbury, glos
Tubbs/Thomas

Bournemouth have also just signed Wes Thomas from Crawley- hes been on loan there most of the season and has scored 10 in 18 games. Now there's an ex-non league striker (Waltham Forest, Fisher) who has real pace. Says a lot about Crawley that they can part with two genuine goalscorers

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Naylor tweeting that Peterborough have bid £1.9m for Crawleys Mcfazden and Barnett, blimey, i hope thats not true, they will be well shafted then as no time to get in replacements

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think they'll get by without Tubbs. Losing McFadzean and Barnett, who I believe have been their best players this season, could be be crippling in terms of their promotion hopes.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
If Pablo Mills can stay injury-free and Claude Davis doesn't keep getting suspended, they might be able to cope with Kyle McFadzean leaving defensively but selling their star striker Matt Tubbs and possibly KM is a concern over their finances and wage bill.

Steve Evans is a good manager but I don't trust that man one little bit after he bankrupted Boston United.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Bournemouth have also just signed Wes Thomas from Crawley- hes been on loan there most of the season and has scored 10 in 18 games. Now there's an ex-non league striker (Waltham Forest, Fisher) who has real pace. Says a lot about Crawley that they can part with two genuine goalscorers

I suppose in our view that helps to balance out the over the odds price for Tubbs. £950k for the pair will be fine if Tubbs starts scoring!

I was one of the mad fools doing the cross country at Stanmer at the weekend - ground looks nice!!

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
according to the BBC they have replaced Tubbs with Billy Clarke. Excellent player and will score many goals at league 2 level. They'll go up easily.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Confirmed now. Wow! Probably do OK there, but not convinced he is much better than L1.

Local lad. says he's been a Bournemouth fan. Probably explains why he's gone there rather than a bigger club

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here