Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Tubbs,Crawley Town & The Albion.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Hi Guys I am a Salisbury fan and thought I would give you a little info on Matt tubbs. He has been top scorer in the conf Prem for 2 years now, and last year in a team (ours) which was with the best will in the world fighting above its weight. And Matt carried the burden of keeping us in existance I think. His leaving in the end for Crawley did just that financially.
Why has he not been scooped up before? Not sure, but what I would say is until we went into admin £125K would have not been worth it to sell for. We had ambitions of our own, and Tubbs was crucial to that.
IMO, league 2 and top of conf no difference in standard. I guess NON league is by most football league fans thought of as 'a bunch of amateurs'. Forget it, at the moment in the conference their are 9 former league clubs. The likes of luton, Wrexham, Grimsby, Mansfield Town are still big clubs and not so long ago were competing against Albion.

But none of the above could afford Tubbs, not now or even last year, if they could they would have taken him, none could compete with Crawley. And I think Creepie Crawley will be league 2 next year and Tubbs will be the main man, his value then will soar. So League 1 or Championship are the only thing he should be temped by.

Could he cut it at that level, no one knows, not even the biggest Tubbs fans like us at Salisbury. BUT what I can tell you, is he is more than just a natural born goalscorer, they are rare enough, but his work rate for the team is exceptional, his touch IMO first class. Inside and outside the box.

I think any club will have to pay £500K plus to force Crawley to sell (I believe they have tried to price him out of the market with a £750K price tag) But maybe a well publised bid of £500K would get him. At that money he is a flipping bargain! Because he will score goals of that I am 110% confident, get a few at top of league one, even if he does not fit your team set up you will recoupe the investment.

and lets be honest you could go and pay twice that amount for an unwanted Championship striker, and it still wouldnt work out!

The Salisbury fan I know didn't see him cutting it at Bournemouth (which he didn't) and doesn't think he'll play much higher than he is currently. He would have been on the radar of allot of football league teams the fact he didn't get picked up by someone speaks volumes.

Good luck to the bloke but he's not what we are looking for.

SCFC Mark

Jan 2, 2011
1 year on

Hi Guys
1 year on and Tubbs is 2nd top scorer in League 2. do you still think he is a player that will only perform in the conf, or can he step it up?

Just a bit of debate LOL

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
I used to play with Tubbsy at Salisbury. Yes he's a good player, but I don't think he is Championship standard.

I'm sure Poyet has cast an eye over him. Le Fondre is doing well at Reading, but he had more league experience. The other boy at Crawley who was all set to go to Blackpool, might be worth a punt but then again a fee around the million mark might be out of or range. No rush to get into the premiership so why not stick with bringing through the youngsters

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Hi Guys
1 year on and Tubbs is 2nd top scorer in League 2. do you still think he is a player that will only perform in the conf, or can he step it up?

Just a bit of debate LOL

We've last seasons leading scorer from the division above where Tubbs is playing now and he's not doing the business in the championship so I'll stand by my original statement and say he's not the player we are looking for.

Interesting to see that Borunemouth came back in for him though.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Frankly I can't see Crawley taking less than £500000 for him, can't see us paying that for what is a gamble.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Hi Guys

Just a bit of debate LOL

To be honest, at that level, I'd fancy my chances.

Seriously though, waiting to see if he can make the grade in League One, it's slightly sterner, but if he wobbles there is no way he's a championship striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here