Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Tubbs,Crawley Town & The Albion.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Just asking,can he play ? 17 from 21 sounds good but is it ? Anyone seen him play ?

Yes, for Salisbury, for whom he scored almost a goal a game in nearly 180 appearances...though this was during the time they were climbing the leagues.

He is 26 and it is reasonable to assume that, given his scoring prowess during his career, that if he had been really good then he would probably have been scouted and offered a contract somewhere a little better than Crawley by now.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Stuart Fleetwood. Shit.

Very harsh, but fair to suggest that he was pretty much one-dimensional in his play...if you could give him a ball to run onto, played on the floor, with maybe one defender and the keeper to beat then there was a fair chance he would score...but he wasn't very good at free kicks and couldn't score with his head.

(This opinion is based on having seen Fleets play maybe 40-50 times.)

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Have seen him play twice this season. Both times he did nothing to catch the eye but scored in both games. He would be a gamble and would either score loads or none. My best guess would be the later and he would not be cheap.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Gully,fair point however he is a goal scorer (?) Big question would he fit our 'pass and move' game ?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Very harsh, but fair to suggest that he was pretty much one-dimensional in his play...if you could give him a ball to run onto, played on the floor, with maybe one defender and the keeper to beat then there was a fair chance he would score...but he wasn't very good at free kicks and couldn't score with his head.

(This opinion is based on having seen Fleets play maybe 40-50 times.)

Fair enough, seeing as you've seen him play far more often than i have. But he just didnt strike me as being a footballer, it struck me more that he was so fast, he'd been pushed into playing football. When he was with us he never looked like finishing a one on one, but play the right ball through and you can guarantee he'll get on the end of it. All i'm saying was that it was as though he'd scored so many goals in the conference because of simply his pace earning him so many chances, whereas playing in the higher leagues pace is'nt enough, and end product is needed.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The interesting thing is, Tubbs has been hitting the mark in the Conference or just below for several years. Normally if someone is that good then they get snapped up by a FL team, but Tubbs never did, which makes me wonder. That tends to mean the player is thought to be missing one element of the game needed to make the step up- often it's pace or some other physical attribute.

I'm not slating the guy, far from it, as he's done well enough for Crawley so far. I also can't see that Crawley would have much need to sell either- if they're signing players like Brodie for £275k, it doesn't suggest they're in need of money, and they're all geared towards Project Promotion :)rolleyes:). Why would they want to risk jeopardising that? I'd only see him going if it was a decent League One or Championship team, as I can't see what he has to gain as an individual by going to a League Two side.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've only seen Tubbs on TV, but whilst he has looked a very good player and his goals to games ratio is incredible (he takes penalties rather well aswell!), I don't think we should be looking at gambling on a player who hasn't achieved anything in league football, not when you're trying to get into the Championship. Let him fire Crawley to the title, and see how he does in league 2 but it's too soon to be talking about buying the chap.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
As long as he is playing I should be seeing Tubbs turn out for Crawley next week, I will watch how he performs and what he contributes to their team (other than the obvious of scoring goals)...then dig up this thread and post my opinions.

I suspect he may be a bit like Tim Sills, who scored fairly regularly for non-league teams but struggled on his opportunities with teams further up the ladder, he seemed to have found a level and was pretty decent as long as he stuck to it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hes shit, only 1 goal in 8 games for Bournmouth

That bloke Zamora was shit too, don't think he ever scored for Bristol Rovers.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Alledgedly Crawley are in for Shaun Harrad at Burton................wasn't a certain Swindon striker we're raving about on here, playing a few leagues lower than Crawley a couple of seasons ago??

PS.............thick fog in BN1 , will it be fogged off tomorrow ?

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Every player is different, therefore trying to compare them to previous Conference players who have made the step up, is to an extent pointless.

He's always looked very good at Conference level. He scored a cracking goal against us pre season although that's not too difficult at the moment.

SCFC Mark

Jan 2, 2011
Every player is different, therefore trying to compare them to previous Conference players who have made the step up, is to an extent pointless.

He's always looked very good at Conference level. He scored a cracking goal against us pre season although that's not too difficult at the moment.

Hi Guys I am a Salisbury fan and thought I would give you a little info on Matt tubbs. He has been top scorer in the conf Prem for 2 years now, and last year in a team (ours) which was with the best will in the world fighting above its weight. And Matt carried the burden of keeping us in existance I think. His leaving in the end for Crawley did just that financially.
Why has he not been scooped up before? Not sure, but what I would say is until we went into admin £125K would have not been worth it to sell for. We had ambitions of our own, and Tubbs was crucial to that.
IMO, league 2 and top of conf no difference in standard. I guess NON league is by most football league fans thought of as 'a bunch of amateurs'. Forget it, at the moment in the conference their are 9 former league clubs. The likes of luton, Wrexham, Grimsby, Mansfield Town are still big clubs and not so long ago were competing against Albion.

But none of the above could afford Tubbs, not now or even last year, if they could they would have taken him, none could compete with Crawley. And I think Creepie Crawley will be league 2 next year and Tubbs will be the main man, his value then will soar. So League 1 or Championship are the only thing he should be temped by.

Could he cut it at that level, no one knows, not even the biggest Tubbs fans like us at Salisbury. BUT what I can tell you, is he is more than just a natural born goalscorer, they are rare enough, but his work rate for the team is exceptional, his touch IMO first class. Inside and outside the box.

I think any club will have to pay £500K plus to force Crawley to sell (I believe they have tried to price him out of the market with a £750K price tag) But maybe a well publised bid of £500K would get him. At that money he is a flipping bargain! Because he will score goals of that I am 110% confident, get a few at top of league one, even if he does not fit your team set up you will recoupe the investment.

and lets be honest you could go and pay twice that amount for an unwanted Championship striker, and it still wouldnt work out!

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Have seen Tubbs play a fair bit, similar to Daryl Clare in my view - prolific in Conference and below but would never cut it in the league

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Why would Crawley want to sell anyone at the moment they have ambitions of there own.
Just one thing players picked up from non league who have done quite well for Albion are Peter Ward, Gary Hart to mention but two. It is a big step up and not all players can cut it however some players are worth a punt in higher divisions. The problem is that clubs aren't prepared to take the risk and end up buying rubbish from the continent or Scotland

SCFC Mark

Jan 2, 2011
Why would Crawley want to sell anyone at the moment they have ambitions of there own.
Just one thing players picked up from non league who have done quite well for Albion are Peter Ward, Gary Hart to mention but two. It is a big step up and not all players can cut it however some players are worth a punt in higher divisions. The problem is that clubs aren't prepared to take the risk and end up buying rubbish from the continent or Scotland

I have my own opinion on 'why Crawley would sell'
The registered owners are not the money people, do your research and yes they are business people, but not made enough to pump a million into a club. They have convinced their asian backers after evans has convinced them to spend £500K on Tubbs, Brodie and Macallister that ONE of them will fetch £500K to help pay back the short term loan that funded them getting to League 2. Only thing is, I think he would prefer to keep hold of them all until the end of the season. At which point if they are successful the value of their top guys (and it looks like Tubbs will be the man at this moment in time) will go up. Crawley are League 2, attracting bigger crowds and he can convince the backers to pump a bit more in to take them to the next level.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I have my own opinion on 'why Crawley would sell'
The registered owners are not the money people, do your research and yes they are business people, but not made enough to pump a million into a club. They have convinced their asian backers after evans has convinced them to spend £500K on Tubbs, Brodie and Macallister that ONE of them will fetch £500K to help pay back the short term loan that funded them getting to League 2. Only thing is, I think he would prefer to keep hold of them all until the end of the season. At which point if they are successful the value of their top guys (and it looks like Tubbs will be the man at this moment in time) will go up. Crawley are League 2, attracting bigger crowds and he can convince the backers to pump a bit more in to take them to the next level.

It will all end in tears, :facepalm: .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here