Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt O Riley [26/08/24 - sings on a 5-year deal]

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Of course he will. Bad fouls happen sometimes, if the ref sees it and decides it merits a yellow card or no card, then it's just one of those things. Gilmour got away with one against Forest last season didn't he? I think it was WBG. Only got a yellow when it could and should have been a red. If the Crawley bloke had punched O'Riley (ie violent conduct) and the ref missed it, that might be different, but a foul is "just" a foul...no chance of further punishment.

I say we move on, keep our fingers crossed that O'Riley isn't badly hurt, and leave that no-mark non-leaguer to what remains of his career with Crawley Town, which I'm sure is absolutely the football career he dreamed of when he was a boy.
Didn't our own mad psychopath, Andone, get a retrospective ban for a bad tackle (nowhere near as bad as Williams') against WBA in the cup a couple of years ago?

Agree re moving on though even after this morning's news.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
Any Albion fans going to Crawley's next home game?
Funnily enough I was going to, as it’s en route to LHR where I’ll be picking someone up. The timing was perfect. But not now. Withholding my £20 isn’t going to break them but it’s at least something I can do make my feelings known. I’m going to head for Reading instead.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought the reason we don't hear about this happening anymore is because of VAR. But obviously there was no VAR on Tuesday (I'm not sure why - as FA Cup ties at Premier League grounds have VAR).
This is because decisions like this are taken after a liquid lunch as the governing committee members sparks up a fag on the way to the pub while chatting over AOB.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Funnily enough I was going to, as it’s en route to LHR where I’ll be picking someone up. The timing was perfect. But not now. Withholding my £20 isn’t going to break them but it’s at least something I can do make my feelings known. I’m going to head for Reading instead.
If you go past their ground, throw some dogshit on the pitch - because that's what they are.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not wanting to sound pessimistic but was wondering do clubs insure players for instances like this? £25 million is a massive hit for any club should the player not repair as hoped..
Injuries where a player is out for a significant chunk of the season like this are inevitable. I reckon most clubs have 2-3 every year - we certainly do. Insurance companies exist to make money, so the insurance premiums to cover an entire squad would have to be more than the cost of paying the 3 players' wages and amortisation charges while they're injured.

Players may well have personal insurance to cover loss of earnings if their careers are ended, but I'm not sure about clubs. There was certainly nothing in the accounts to indicate a pay out when Mwepu was forced to retire, just a multi-million write down of his value as an asset.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Injuries where a player is out for a significant chunk of the season like this are inevitable. I reckon most clubs have 2-3 every year - we certainly do. Insurance companies exist to make money, so the insurance premiums to cover an entire squad would have to be more than the cost of paying the 3 players' wages and amortisation charges while they're injured.

Players may well have personal insurance to cover loss of earnings if their careers are ended, but I'm not sure about clubs. There was certainly nothing in the accounts to indicate a pay out when Mwepu was forced to retire, just a multi-million write down of his value as an asset.
The club will likely take out life insurance to regain the cost of finding a replacement should a player die. And may choose to take out critical illness cover for things like heart attacks, strokes etc, I understand why clubs wouldn't want to publicise this sort of thing.

In the case of Mwepu there wouldn't have been a pay out as he never actually had a heart attack

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Didn't our own mad psychopath, Andone, get a retrospective ban for a bad tackle (nowhere near as bad as Williams') against WBA in the cup a couple of years ago?

Agree re moving on though even after this morning's news.
Yes. It wasn't so much a tackle as a sly off-the-ball dig, if I remember correctly, and was completely missed by the ref. It was a shame as he'd had a good game that night.

Definitely move on. Some of the suggestions on here are getting silly.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Shame Jayson Molumby isn't still here. He could've whacked Williams back into next week.

Hopefully karma will be an evil bitch to Williams.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Shame Jayson Molumby isn't still here. He could've whacked Williams back into next week.

Hopefully karma will be an evil bitch to Williams.
Speaking of Irishmen, I wonder if Luca Connell would take the job on this weekend for Barnsley? He is their captain, he will be a target for Pyscho Williams, perhaps he could nobble him first?

Come on Barnsley!!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

aardvark

Jun 12, 2013

Thanks for explanation

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Such a bunch of babies on here. Get over it, it's football, it's gutting but these things happen. It's nothing to do with Crawley as a club, a town, or really all that much to do with Williams. Just one of those crappy things that happen from time to time. We've been on the receiving end and we've had players dishing it out in the past.
cant argue with a single word of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here