Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt O Riley [26/08/24 - sings on a 5-year deal]

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Doubt that would work but there are other ways of getting our own back.
Ladies team not playing at Crawley would be one.
Crawley don't own their ground do they? I have zero knowledge of the ladies team arrangement, but it's questionable if Crawley FC get any financial benefit or the council trouser all the rental.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
From the FA website

In order for The FA to take retrospective action it must first establish from the match officials whether the incident was ‘not seen’. If they confirm they did see it then in almost all cases no further action is taken.
This is what happens when you import yanks to referee here. He will have reffed "college soccer" and the exhibition league that is the MLS.

We are struggling to bring through young refs because the entry level is boys games where the behaviour of parents and coaches is absolutely appalling. County FAs and the FA itself fail to protect young refs by imposing meaningful sanctions when players, parents and coaches threaten, intimidate and on occasions assault young refs.

Importing refs from abroad, and giving them games at a far higher level, and more competetive, than they have ever reffed before is not the answer.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I really don’t like the BBC reporting O’Riley ‘picked up’ and injury on Tuesday.

An injury was inflicted on him. A player with an otherwise outstanding injury record received an ankle breaker from a non-league level pschyco-thug. He didn’t ’pick up’ anything. He was assaulted.
This.

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
The only positive from this is that Albion hired a top-notch medical team this summer so he will receive the very best post-op and rehabilitation care. Hopefully we see him again sooner rather than later

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
From the FA website

In order for The FA to take retrospective action it must first establish from the match officials whether the incident was ‘not seen’. If they confirm they did see it then in almost all cases no further action is taken.
No ref is ever going to say 'sorry I was asleep and completely missed it'. If the ref wants to say he saw it clearly and thinks it deserves no card at all, it's time he changed career.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Didn't Dunk nearly kill Sharp with a bad challenge and our fans were piss taking ?
You have a faulty memory or you are taking the pee yourself.

Doncaster fans were going mad, saying Dunk had broken Sharpe's leg in three places. This went on for two or three days, until I noticed the update on Doncaster Rovers website saying it was ligament damage (probably similar to O'Riley).
That's when the Albion fans started because of the bile we had received in the meantime.

I searched for the original thread (somebody put a link to it yesterday) but found this. Dunk received a yellow, Williams didn't even get that, and Dunk also apologised to Sharpe for the injury.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very interesting, so if not seen retrospective action can be taken, if seen the ref is a total incompetent not to punish a potentially career ending assault & be barred from the game..
Have the rules been changed then? The Hemed incident was obviously 'seen', but not deemed to be a red card. "Referee sees nothing in it"

Hemed was pursued after the game and given a retrospective red and 3 match ban (which had a massive impact on his career with us as he had just hit a streak of form that was never repeated).

The referee will have to say he either didn't see the challenge by the Crawley thug, or that he did see it and 'saw nothing in it'.

In either case, unless the rules have changed (how?) the thug CAN be pursued by the FA.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Have the rules been changed then? The Hemed incident was obviously 'seen', but not deemed to be a red card. "Referee sees nothing in it"

Hemed was pursued after the game and given a retrospective red and 3 match ban (which had a massive impact on his career with us as he had just hit a streak of form that was never repeated).

The referee will have to say he either didn't see the challenge by the Crawley thug, or that he did see it and 'saw nothing in it'.

In either case, unless the rules have changed (how?) the thug CAN be pursued by the FA.

I thought the reason we don't hear about this happening anymore is because of VAR. But obviously there was no VAR on Tuesday (I'm not sure why - as FA Cup ties at Premier League grounds have VAR).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Williams has spent the majority of his career in non league. Anyone who has played amateur football will have come across people like him on a weekly basis. They have serious anger and personality issues and step onto a football field with the main intention of hurting people.

If Crawley were a decent club, they’d take action again him themselves but that will never happen.
They will. He'll be Fans Player of the Season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here