Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt O Riley [26/08/24 - sings on a 5-year deal]

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Williams has spent the majority of his career in non league. Anyone who has played amateur football will have come across people like him on a weekly basis. They have serious anger and personality issues and step onto a football field with the main intention of hurting people.

If Crawley were a decent club, they’d take action again him themselves but that will never happen.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Williams has spent the majority of his career in non league. Anyone who has played amateur football will have come across people like him on a weekly basis. They have serious anger and personality issues and step onto a football field with the main intention of hurting people.

If Crawley were a decent club, they’d take action again him themselves but that will never happen.
I reckon it was a strategy wasn't it? Rough Brighton up. It wasn't just Williams, though he was the worst.

This has got to come from the manager

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Well, that’s him out for 6-10 weeks. So telling myself, Christmas. What a f***ing **** that Williams. No apology either, I know it can be part of that game, that is not. Hope to see him out for the season due to injury, filthy ****. Very angry about this. Crawley can get to f***.

Part of the reason I got so angry about this was seeing Crawley fans and coaches online gloating about the tackle and damage it caused.

I don't think it's right to gloat about any professional sportsperson suffering a significant injury. But I'll definitely make an exception if it happens to Jay Williams.

[Edit: I'll also watch the playing career of that Crawley women's coach who tweeted "30 million down the drain, Jay Williams strikes again" with a bunch of mocking emojis, in the hope that something similar happens to her. Apparently she also plays for Sutton United's women's first team.]

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Part of the reason I got so angry about this was seeing Crawley fans and coaches online gloating about the tackle and damage it caused.

I don't think it's right to gloat about any professional sportsperson suffering a significant injury. But I'll definitely make an exception if it happens to Jay Williams.

Their coaches were gloating?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Ref was about 10 yards away and looking straight at it, no obstructions.
Incredible he didn't think it warranted any sanction at all, particularly when considering the cards he dished out for Sarmiento and Yari.
The only possible defence for the ref was that, the challenge was so late he was already looking at the next phase of play. I just think at least one of the match officials must have seen it

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I reckon it was a strategy wasn't it? Rough Brighton up. It wasn't just Williams, though he was the worst.

This has got to come from the manager
A highly reasonable strategy, though that player certainly crossed the line.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
FFS, what a kick to the balls, such a shame.

If he requires surgery, what is it likely/possible they will do in surgery, is it like he has a broken bone that will be held together or something?
Looking at how the impact was and the ankle went, I suspect it’s something similar to what I did (although mine was my ankle going over a step at Wembley when someone jumped on me celebrating Pickfords penalty shootout save 😂 ). I had a grade 3 ligament rupture which basically means the ligament completely tears/ruptures. In my case it also pulled away some bone in doing so. Took me a year to get back to ‘normal’. Part of the problem is a lot of scar tissue builds which may require a second op to clear out to enable range of motion. But I’m a) speculating and b) very much not a professional athlete

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

17 yellow cards last season, SEVENTEEN, that means he would have missed 6 games through suspension. Not adding on top of his one red card, dreadful player, probably a reason his only other spell in the football league was 10 games at Northampton in 2 years before clogging up Non-League football.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One in particular was gloating online, but has since deleted her tweet and removed Crawley community coach from her bio. It has been covered quite a bit in the Crawley thread.

aardvark

Jun 12, 2013
Not wanting to sound pessimistic but was wondering do clubs insure players for instances like this? £25 million is a massive hit for any club should the player not repair as hoped..

Stripey808

Jul 16, 2020
Feel so sorry for the lad. New club, no chance to build any relationships in the treatment room apart from Solly and when Lamptey’s next injury comes along.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just wondering. Does the club make a report on the refereeing post match? Is retrospective disciplinary action still a thing?
From the FA website

In order for The FA to take retrospective action it must first establish from the match officials whether the incident was ‘not seen’. If they confirm they did see it then in almost all cases no further action is taken.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Can all the medics on NSC tell us how many months this could be. This thread has ranged from 2-9 months so far. So gutted.

I hate that Williams bloke.
I had a bad ankle injury once, ripping all the tendons on the outside of my foot, and I couldn't kick a ball properly for 9 months, some say I never could!
But I didn't get the treatment these guys do. Let's hope surgery goes well and they only play him when it's bang on 100% ready.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The player himself was smiling about it immediately after he did it, the coward. Shame no VAR and an opportunity to ban the bloke.
A dreadful start for our newbie. Hope he makes a good recovery but there’s no guarantee with ankle injuries.
One thing for sure is that I will never go to Crawley to see them play - I wouldn’t give them my money.

aardvark

Jun 12, 2013
From the FA website

In order for The FA to take retrospective action it must first establish from the match officials whether the incident was ‘not seen’. If they confirm they did see it then in almost all cases no further action is taken.
Very interesting, so if not seen retrospective action can be taken, if seen the ref is a total incompetent not to punish a potentially career ending assault & be barred from the game..

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Any Albion fans going to Crawley's next home game?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very interesting, so if not seen retrospective action can be taken, if seen the ref is a total incompetent not to punish a potentially career ending assault & be barred from the game..
I'm not sure if that refers to the referee's report. If, for instance, he thought it was accidental (I know, I know) then nothing can be done.
It stinks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here