Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt O Riley [26/08/24 - sings on a 5-year deal]

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
Number 1 can be discounted. I have a nephew in Glasgow who’s a STH at Celtic and always talks about Brighton with great admiration and is keen to make a trip to the Amex. And while I don’t like talk about "big clubs", Celtic are as big as they come in terms of their following.

I dropped him a message earlier. His reply doesn’t really advance the news but for the record:

"Celtic care more about money than on field success, so they would definitely cash in. Player isn’t pushing for a move though and has a 4 year contract so he won’t be sold for less than his value. Talk seems to be 25m will be enough. A bargain as he is excellent. Atalanta have had 4 bids rejected. Brighton, Southampton, Chelsea the others in the running as far as we know."

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
If Atalanta are preparing another bid I expect he has given them an indication he is keen to join them.
I can only see one further major incoming for us and at this point think Ferdi K is more likely.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Both O’Riley and Ferdi are taking too long, I think we might just end up with Hummel or nobody else PL ready but it’s all finger in the air guesswork isn’t it. I really doubt that we’ll end up with all three though!

Remind me who the last player was who we ended up with late in the summer window after more than a month of rumours on here. Cucurella?

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Both O’Riley and Ferdi are taking too long, I think we might just end up with Hummel or nobody else PL ready but it’s all finger in the air guesswork isn’t it. I really doubt that we’ll end up with all three though!

Remind me who the last player was who we ended up with late in the summer window after more than a month of rumours on here. Cucurella?
Calleri??

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would say we're lacking a midfielder, and possibly a right-back
The way we looked like we were asking our full backs to play on saturday it would appear they need to be midfielders

Jack H could easily fill that roll on the right. Hes more suited to it than Joel.

Stumpy Tim

The way we looked like we were asking our full backs to play on saturday it would appear they need to be midfielders

Jack H could easily fill that roll on the right. Hes more suited to it than Joel.
That's true, and I thought Jack looked more suited to it than Joel. For me, Baleba is wasted at left-back

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Enjoyed that burst down the right by Hinshelwood. It's becoming his trademark . He doesn't look particularly quick but his determination and commitment when running like that is a joy to watch. Lung bursting breaks !! Its different to anything we have.

Excited to see what he brings this season

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That's true, and I thought Jack looked more suited to it than Joel. For me, Baleba is wasted at left-back
Isn't a feature of our new formation that the full-backs end up in midfield? So maybe he wouldn't be such a waste. Plus he has the pace the centre-backs lack to provide cover against counter-attacks. Perhaps that's the thinking.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think with only Barco fit as a left back currently, he's having to do some time out there.

When Pervis is fit or we have Ferdi, then Baleba will fight it out with Matts, Milner and ORiley for 2 of the central roles.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Why? Transfers often take a while whilst all interested parties are involved. How long is 'okay' and how long is 'too long'?
The fact that bigger clubs are now at the party…allegedly, which means it’s unlikely either will be coming here now, we’d have signed them by now if they were. Let me be wrong, but we’ll need the bigger boys to lose interest imo.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The fact that bigger clubs are now at the party…allegedly, which means it’s unlikely either will be coming here now, we’d have signed them by now if they were. Let me be wrong, but we’ll need the bigger boys to lose interest imo.
This is true. However the bigger boys will usually be linked with the kind of signing we are now trying to make. There's a huge number of tweets devoted to myriads of players that are supposed to be going to the big 6. Few of them actually do. I wouldn't discount the possibility due to time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here