Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt O Riley [26/08/24 - sings on a 5-year deal]

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The fact that bigger clubs are now at the party…allegedly, which means it’s unlikely either will be coming here now, we’d have signed them by now if they were. Let me be wrong, but we’ll need the bigger boys to lose interest imo.
It's only unlikely if what's allegedly happened comes to pass. It's all finger in the air stuff. On O'Reilly, I suspect we can offer more money in both wages and fees than Atalanta can, so it becomes a) do we want to offer that and b) would he sacrifice Champions League football with them to come to us?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can’t help thinking if O’Riley was qoing to happen it would’ve been 2 bids maximum and done by now.
Atalanta are rumoured to be planning a 5th bid and say they are “only €2m apart.” They suggest that O’Riley wants Italy rather than the EPL.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Some transfer's happen quickly. Sometimes the player himself or the club will flat out refuse and 90% of these we likely never get to hear about.

Sometimes transfers happen slowly. Some of them eventually happen and some don't

Usually it's in the selling club and players interests to play brinkmanship

Either way, no point refreshing NSC every 3 seconds

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I hope we get him. If Weiffer is missing, we're incredibly light in centre midfield and would like them to play together.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you're looking for a Gross replacement in an attacking sense then O'Riley ticks a lot of boxes. He takes corners, he makes assists gets in the box and scores goals. Like Gross, his heat map points to him doing most of his work in the right side channel drifting into the centre.

However, I'm not sure of his credentials in a defensive sense. Celtic have McGregor and Hatate doing the defensive work whilst O'Riley likes to play between the lines, linking between Kuhn and Kyogo in attack.

Chris Sutton seems to think O'Riley should have his sights set on a bigger club than the Albion but I'm not convinced he's that good. The SPL is poor quality, he creates but can he do it against stronger players and with less time? I don't think he's top 6 material just yet.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Wonder if we still want this to happen after the Gruda deal. I think so as CM looks a bit weak to me still.

Interesting to see how this will develop having missed out on KDH. Do we have someone else lined up if O'Riley doesn't happen? Give Moder or Dahoud another chance?

Highly doubt it would happen due to cost and player preference, but I'd pay 10 mil more for Gallagher if the Athletico deal continues to fall through. They'd be an English club buying tax but maybe less for us given we're probably not top 6 contenders. Far more suited to a Hurzeler system than De Zerbis. Don't think hed be interested anyway but ya never know.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
I for one still want MOR :shrug:

Otherwise, if we're still in the market for an older pro, why not make it Eriksen on say a two-year contract?

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I for one still want MOR :shrug:

Otherwise, if we're still in the market for an older pro, why not make it Eriksen on say a two-year contract?
He's still under contract at Utd and doesn't have the legs anymore to play as a CM. He's an out and out no.10 now I think. We need a goal scoring box to box player.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
He's still under contract at Utd and doesn't have the legs anymore to play as a CM. He's an out and out no.10 now I think. We need a goal scoring box to box player.
AFAIK Manure are open to offers and wouldn't ask for much given he's 32 with just a year left on his contract -- but fair enough re the rest.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Wonder if we still want this to happen after the Gruda deal. I think so as CM looks a bit weak to me still.

I reckon it's likely one or the other. With Gomez coming in for the winter, we have enough there.

Interesting to see how this will develop having missed out on KDH. Do we have someone else lined up if O'Riley doesn't happen? Give Moder or Dahoud another chance?

I don't think we'll see Moder or Dahoud again.

Highly doubt it would happen due to cost and player preference, but I'd pay 10 mil more for Gallagher if the Athletico deal continues to fall through.

Don't agree with this one I have to say!!

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I reckon it's likely one or the other. With Gomez coming in for the winter, we have enough there.

I don't think we'll see Moder or Dahoud again.

Don't agree with this one I have to say!!
Enough, yes. Enough proven quality, not so sure. Even O'Riley presents some risk/unknown at this level.

Neither do I. But if we don't get someone else in then I think Moder has a chance of staying.

I don't think he'd come here and is probably too much financially, but goalscoring, hardworking England international would be great for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here