Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt O Riley [26/08/24 - sings on a 5-year deal]

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
He’s as well placed as anyone to know what’s what in relation to Brighton. I think we use him at times when we want to get a message ‘out there’.
I'm sure we do, he's no Brighton fan by any means despite being South Cost born and bred, he's an absolute Man U nut.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Swapping players is not economically sensible in these times.
If Chelsea sell for £50 million, it will be pure profit being added to the PSR balance sheet, but buying a player for £50million on a 5 year deal can be offset as £10 million per year on the balance sheet.
Therefore, In the short run, selling 1 player for a lot of money allows you to buy several more expensive players and keep within the rules.
However, in the long run it may become unsustainable, unless lots of players from your academy come good. That is why many big teams, (the Manchester's, Arsenal, Chelsea and dare I say, Brighton) are trying to recruit lots of the worlds talent to their academies and U21s.)

I probably should know this but what’s the difference between selling an academy graduate and a non-academy graduate, in financial terms?

I get the impression selling academy players is better for the books. Is it purely because there was no transfer fee paid for them in the first place, whereas the original transfer fee paid for non-academy players is still factored into the PSR calculations?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He’s as well placed as anyone to know what’s what in relation to Brighton. I think we use him at times when we want to get a message ‘out there’.
Not exactly, but he certainly checks any stories with the club (unlike many). The only people I trust on Albion stories are him, Naylor and Owen. All know how to use a phone rather than just recycle other people's clickbait.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I probably should know this but what’s the difference between selling an academy graduate and a non-academy graduate, in financial terms?

I get the impression selling academy players is better for the books. Is it purely because there was no transfer fee paid for them in the first place, whereas the original transfer fee paid for non-academy players is still factored into the PSR calculations?
It is factored in but the cost of the transfer will have been amortised. Buy a player for 50 million and you will amortise the vost over a 5 year deal (for example, depends on the length of their contract) so by the time they are two years in the book value of the player is 30 million. Sell them then for 100 million there and your profit is 70 million.

NOT an accountant, but that is probably evident.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Life of Riley is the obvious one but let's go for something more shoe-horned

Ob-La-Di etc etc - Ringo and Friends

[Verse]
Brighton has an interest in the market place
Matty is a player in scotland
Brighton says to Maty, “wanna see our place?”
And Matty signs the contract, pen in hand

[Chorus]
O'Riley O'Rilah
It's his song, brah
Riley has his Brighton song

O'Riley O'Rilah
It's his song, brah
Riley has his Brighton song

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Can you translate please?
'Matt O'Riley, Celtic's jewel, is increasingly destined to leave his current club. He is a target of Atalanta, as we have reported several times, but in the last few hours Percassi's club has had to dedicate itself to other matters (Retegui) due to Scamacca's serious injury. Brighton, which has great financial availability, has always targeted O'Riley and in the last few hours has reportedly presented an offer of 25 million plus 4 bonuses which is really close to what the Scottish club has always asked for the 2000-born player. A piece of news that will certainly not please Atalanta, we will see if a deal will be reached in the next few hours.'

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not exactly, but he certainly checks any stories with the club (unlike many). The only people I trust on Albion stories are him, Naylor and Owen. All know how to use a phone rather than just recycle other people's clickbait.
When you say use the phone who would they ring? Is it Barber directly or the press officer etc. and how would a new journalist get the right numbers (not that I’m becoming a journalist)?

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
When you say use the phone who would they ring? Is it Barber directly or the press officer etc. and how would a new journalist get the right numbers (not that I’m becoming a journalist)?
I guess you would start by getting an accreditation in order to attend press conferences and get your name and face known to people at the club over time. Once that relationship is established possibly a Barber or Camillin might see it as in their interests to pick up the phone and share information as they see fit.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
It would be interesting, if quantifiable, to see the historical stats for our signings/non-signings based on

-Media alerts with players reportedly singing for ?Xm, huge fanfares everywhere then nothing comes from it.

-Players we sign with little or not previous media alerting as to our interest.

The poker player that Uncle Tony is makes me think that most of our recent signings would fit into the last category.

We are very much an 'under the radar' club, maybe not as much as we used to be, naturally with our great signing success rate.

TNBA

TTF

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Is this possibility dead in the water after Brendan Rodgers remarks?
These remarks? I’d say not.
“If there’s an offer that comes in that fits the valuation of the player, that’s a different matter. We all know Celtic and the position that we’re in as a club.”

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What remarks? Give us a clue
Assume Google is broken, so…..

Brendan Rodgers on Matt O’Riley​

Speaking to Sky Sports, Rodgers stated when asked about O’Riley’s future and if there have been any recent developments: “No, nothing. I think there are obviously bids that will come in for Matt, but like I said, I repeat, there’s no need for us to sell; we don’t want to sell.

“If there’s an offer that comes in that fits the valuation of the player, that’s a different matter. We all know Celtic and the position that we’re in as a club.

”But until that moment, I’m fairly relaxed because, as I said, he’s training really well, he’s working really hard, and until that changes, we just continue focused on performing.”

Later, he remained coy on Idah, as he said: “There’s nothing to report at the minute. I think there’s clearly ongoing discussions with the clubs, but there’s no more to say on that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here