Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matches where one team has had to borrow kit

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Leicester v Brighton 2009..:ascarf:

Brighton v Leeds mid 80s - they wore our red away shorts I seem to remember

France v Hungary 78 World Cup - french played in rather ungallic green and white stripes borrowed from a local Argie team as they had both turned up with their white shirts

must be more instances of kit man malfunctions

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didnt we have to lend some team a kit when we played them at Withdean seem to remember it happening but cant remember which team or was it a team borrowed one from a local club.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Its not quite borrowed kit but in the 70’s, I went to a England versus West Germany schoolboy international at Wembley.
The Germans turned up with a white kit and the mistake was realised in the morning allowing a member of the German staff time to go and buy enough shirts to kit the team out. Unfortunately which ever shop they went to did not stock West Germany away shirts and therefore the Germans played in yellow Leeds away shirts.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Can't remember when exactly, but I remember Reading turning up at the Goldstone with a away kit of Blue & yellow hoops. We let them wear it & played a home match in the horrible pink kit :rant:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Can't remember when exactly, but I remember Reading turning up at the Goldstone with a away kit of Blue & yellow hoops. We let them wear it & played a home match in the horrible pink kit :rant:

Reading are allowed to wear whatever kit they like, aren't they? Something to do with some tradition or other.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Derby ? In the championship - they had to play in our training tops.

I tink they provided their own but used the club shop to put numbers / names on the back

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Reading are allowed to wear whatever kit they like, aren't they? Something to do with some tradition or other.

I think its an urban myth, its something to do with Berkshire being a Royal County so they are allowed to wear their home kit whereever they are playing.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

I suspect they flatly refused to play in pink

I remember an FA Cup game at Newport County when the clash of colours was resolved by Newport (the home team) playing the game in Cardiff City's kit. How the hell that came about is still a mystery to me. The equivalent would have been Albion playing at the Goldstone in Palarse kit.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

... and we promptly lost - in fact I'm fairly certain that every time we have not worn our regular home kit at a home fixture that I've attended that we have lost. I always get nervous when I hear we are wearing some "special" kit 'cos I automatically assume it includes a free gift of three points to our opponents!!

:glare:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
... and we promptly lost - in fact I'm fairly certain that every time we have not worn our regular home kit at a home fixture that I've attended that we have lost. I always get nervous when I hear we are wearing some "special" kit 'cos I automatically assume it includes a free gift of three points to our opponents!!

:glare:

Of recent times, we have had a mixed bag of results with 'one-off' kits.

(2004/05) Palookaville kit at Withdean for one game only - Brighton 1-1 Sheff Utd
(2005/06) One off white kit - Palace 0-1 Brighton
(2006/07) One off 'retro' 1997 kit - Brighton 0-2 Donny
(2007/08) One off 'skint' kit - Brighton 0-1 Swansea
(2008/09) One off white kit - Shrewsbury 0-0 Brighton (BHA win on penalties)
(2008/09) Leicester away kit - Leicester 0-0 Brighton.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Of recent times, we have had a mixed bag of results with 'one-off' kits.

(2004/05) Palookaville kit at Withdean for one game only - Brighton 1-1 Sheff Utd
(2005/06) One off white kit - Palace 0-1 Brighton
(2006/07) One off 'retro' 1997 kit - Brighton 0-2 Donny
(2007/08) One off 'skint' kit - Brighton 0-1 Swansea

(2008/09) One off white kit - Shrewsbury 0-0 Brighton (BHA win on penalties)
(2008/09) Leicester away kit - Leicester 0-0 Brighton.

Ah, nice to see I'm wrong - that point in the Palookaville kit is the high-point in the general losing trend!

:lolol:

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Ah, nice to see I'm wrong - that point in the Palookaville kit is the high-point in the general losing trend!

:lolol:

True, we got a couple of draws (Shrewsbury and Leicester last night) and one win - Palace away. But, I guess you are more-or-less right.

Anyway the Palookaville kit was a high point full stop - I still love that kit :love:

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

a myth created due to that game against us.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
True, we got a couple of draws (Shrewsbury and Leicester last night) and one win - Palace away. But, I guess you are more-or-less right.

I was specifically saying home matches, as I don't think that there is any psychological effect away from home in wearing a different kit (which seems to be reflected in the results).

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I was specifically saying home matches, as I don't think that there is any psychological effect away from home in wearing a different kit (which seems to be reflected in the results).

Ah, I see - my brain doesn't usually start functioning before 10am (and even then it is usually on reduced capacity until lunch!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here