Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matchday Travel From The Amex

Sep 1, 2010
I do sometimes wonder if people can actually read. The sheep-esque sarcasm is wonderful in it's simplicity though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Leaving the LG Arena in Birmingham after a concert can take upwards of an hour to get off the adjacent carparks.

I expect the Amex to actually be more efficient than this in terms of getting coach/bus shuttles to park and ride sites (50-70 per trip?) and trainloads (200ish?) of fans to and from the ground reasonably quickly. Expect lots of people to miss the kick off and leave early though - especially for evening games. Hard to see anything but lots of problems and an increasingly fit fanbase as a result of walking into town :)

I wonder how long it will be before there is a planning application (assuming one is needed) to turn local (protestor's) fields into massive matchday carparks ? It is the only realistic solution.

Well, here's tonight's train timetable after 9.30pm from Falmer into Brighton to give you a flavour...

21:36 Falmer [FMR] Brighton (East Sussex) [BTN] 21:45 0h 09m 0 Details
1 on time
22:00 Falmer [FMR] Brighton (East Sussex) [BTN] 22:09 0h 09m 0 Details
1 on time
22:21 Falmer [FMR] Brighton (East Sussex) [BTN] 22:31 0h 10m 0 Details
1 on time
22:36 Falmer [FMR] Brighton (East Sussex) [BTN] 22:45 0h 09m 0 Details
1 on time
22:49 Falmer [FMR] Brighton (East Sussex) [BTN] 22:58 0h 09m 0 Details
1 on time
23:21 Falmer [FMR] Brighton (East Sussex) [BTN] 23:31 0h 10m 0 Details
1 on time
23:37 Falmer [FMR] Brighton (East Sussex) [BTN] 23:46 0h 09m 0 Details
1 on time
23:47 Falmer [FMR] Brighton (East Sussex) [BTN] 23:56 0h 09m 0 Details
1 on time
Thu 10 Mar
00:25 Falmer [FMR] Brighton (East Sussex) [BTN] 00:34 0h 09m 0 Details
1 on time

I make that 9 trains @ 200 people = less than 2000 people, some of whom will presumably be happy to wait in the stadium for a couple of hours of a weekday.

Lucky the NIMBYs were so hung up on mythical monorail systems that they missed the bleeding obvious :lol:

Sep 1, 2010
No mate, what you clearly state is that "I can see it being a bit of a nightmare to be honest." How do you know then that it would be a nightmare given that you're unaware of the plans? Also, even if it does take a lot longer to get away than now, then how is that a "nightmare" anyway? Surely, it would be a price worth paying for having a lovely £93m home, wouldn't it?

it is a tiny price to pay of course as you say. i do not know it will be a nightmare though hence..."I CAN SEE IT being a BIT of a nightmare to be honest." this is not to be confused with it is a nightmare and the club have no plans in place.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
No mate, what you clearly state is that "I can see it being a bit of a nightmare to be honest." How do you know then that it would be a nightmare given that you're unaware of the plans? Also, even if it does take a lot longer to get away than now, then how is that a "nightmare" anyway? Surely, it would be a price worth paying for having a lovely £93m home, wouldn't it?

Based on the fact that Falmer has a very small station and a short platform I too can see it being a bit of a nightmare getting away. I too am concerned about this. Of course this is worth it because we will have a new stadium. However, that does not stop there being concerns about how quickly we will be able to get out and away from the stadium. Especially for those of us who do not live locally. I'm sure everyone would prefer a beautiful stadium AS WELL AS being able to get away quickly.

You need to chill out.

D

Deleted User X18H

Walk along to Lewes Road for gawd sake, then get a bus.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Based on the fact that Falmer has a very small station and a short platform I too can see it being a bit of a nightmare getting away. I too am concerned about this. Of course this is worth it because we will have a new stadium. However, that does not stop there being concerns about how quickly we will be able to get out and away from the stadium. Especially for those of us who do not live locally. I'm sure everyone would prefer a beautiful stadium AS WELL AS being able to get away quickly.

You need to chill out.

I need to chill out! Yeah, right. It's not me getting my soiled knickers in a twist about having to wait 5hrs for the next train to arrive now is it.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Don't forget the trains heading to Lewes that people will be able to get on to get back north/east of the county.

I would assume the park and ride will have to be expanded maybe additional sites, personally I think they should have one on Ditchling Road from Coldean Lane to Woodbourne garage.... and maybe Withdean as we wont be there anymore!

Sussex University is also geared up for the main car parking (pay and display), with the new entrance via Stanmer.

Plus the 23/25 are really regular, I'm sure Mr French will be happy to increase frequency in the evenings when half the buses are in the garage anyway.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When we went to Villa there was a 20 minute queue just to get onto the platform , the same will happen at Falmer. Double decker buses can carry 80 passengers and the bendy buses 140.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can't help thinking that the erstwhile objectors will provide a fair bit of additional parking within easy reach. AONB or not I never met a farmer who didn't have an eye to the main chance.

Most grounds tend to be near industrial estates and matchday parking charges by the owners avareage £2 to £5. In our case it will be agriculturists but the principal is the same and I for one have no objection to paying for convenience

Last edited:

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Arty, old chap!

I do believe you've started a binfest!! or well may as well join in.

Should of built the ground at WATERHALL, better train and road routes.

Sep 1, 2010
Arty, old chap!

I do believe you've started a binfest!! or well may as well join in.

Should of built the ground at WATERHALL, better train and road routes.

Clearly i have. Ridiculous Stadium plans. Knock it down. White elephant.

kikapu

Apr 26, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
When I went to Villa for the FA Cup match, it took nearly an hour to get out of back road we parked on to the main road, Norwich took around 45 mins to get away, West Ham we walked to the next station cause the queue was closer to that then the station we were queing for!!
But Wembley is the worst, queing up on Wembley Way just to get to the station takes 30 - 45 mins then another 30 mins in the station, if your driving you really need someone who knows the back roads.

So the Amex should be easy!! :laugh:

:amex: :bhasign: :amex:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I've spotted a gap in the market and have begun building my 120 seat helium blimp which will fly from Falmer to Shoreham and return - people from stop offs along the way welcome as long as you pack a parachute.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Things will settle down. There are grounds all over the country who have bigger crowds but do not have a station virtually on site.

It took over an hour to get out of the B'muff carpark. These things happen. Give it 2 or 3 games and people will have found what way is best for them.

And if we can't cope then we can forget all those fancy extensions.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Fucks sake all that Art vs Science has said is that it'll be a bit of a western getting away from the Amex. He isn't having a go at the club or TB or Perry. No need for all this bitch-slapping. Chill or f*** the f*** off.

Is exactly what I would have said except I had my flounce last night.

Really dont understand what the massive over reaction is. Art only said what a number of people have been thinking (you know who you are) and have experience when leaving many different venues with high level attendance.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Anyone got any links or know themselves what the plan is getting 20,000 odd people away from the games. The station to me seems too small platform wise and i cannot see the buses being able to ship away the fans and any reasonable amount of time especially mid week games where time is a bit more of a premium. I can see it being a bit of a nightmare to be honest

I wouldnt worry mate, after the 1st season we'll be down to 12,000 fans, 50% of games you'll know the result by 80 mins meaning you can go early, 20% of games you can stay longer for a drink and 30% of games wont be worth going to anyway. I hope ive taken a weight of your shoulders.

I think im joking ???

Sep 1, 2010
Is exactly what I would have said except I had my flounce last night.

Really dont understand what the massive over reaction is. Art only said what a number of people have been thinking (you know who you are) and have experience when leaving many different venues with high level attendance.

Unbelievable some reactions. It was merely a question about the plans in place, and to be honest more about the midweek evening games rather than the saturday fixtures as work the next day is more of a driving factor to wanting to get home afterwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here