Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ***MATCH RATINGS vs ARSENAL***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree, and I would argue might have flourished under Potter.

I mean, (probably an unpopular opinion), as we stand, I honestly don't think Trossard has offered much more.

Knockaert also had 'moments' in the PL, which is all Trossard has had to date.

I so want Trossard to succeed but you are not wrong. He looks a player lacking in confidence and has actually gone backwards.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As a regular contributor to player ratings thread, this is an interesting insight. So, a few comments:
-- of course many of us are wrong, and the ratings can reflect posters' views of a player rather than the performance
-- Knockaert was quite clearly the best player in the Championship for 18 months, he did OK in the PL, but was too inconsistent and unreliable in my view, and I wasn't crestfallen when he got moved in. The fact that I think this has no bearing whatsoever on what he contributed to getting us near to promotion, and then securing it.
-- I watch a fair bit of football, not as much as many, but certain people close to me would say too much. I like contributing to player ratings threads, but that doesn't mean that we're the font of all knowledge on this, just like on many other realms where we make judgments.

Fair enough on all that.

I always try and read the thread, some posts I agree with, some I definitely don’t. Some posters seem to have an agenda against certain players, and some just don’t seem to have watched the same game as me. I realise that my impressions of a player are sometimes wrong, and sometimes I’m spot on, but, I don’t feel qualified to rip a player apart, week in , week out on here.

Having said all that, I do miss BG on this thread, some weeks he was comedy gold.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, I agree - and agree that the mixed ratings reflect this. But what I was questioning was someone could give the manager just 1/10 where we have just beaten Arsenal and done the double over them for the first time in our history.

Giving GP 1/10 was just comical and must be from one of the ‘CH should still be here’ camp........made the right subs at the right time, and led the team to come from behind against a ‘big club’ for a memorable double. The fact we went looking for a winner deep into injury time is so refreshing.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair enough on all that.

I always try and read the thread, some posts I agree with, some I definitely don’t. Some posters seem to have an agenda against certain players, and some just don’t seem to have watched the same game as me. I realise that my impressions of a player are sometimes wrong, and sometimes I’m spot on, but, I don’t feel qualified to rip a player apart, week in , week out on here.

Having said all that, I do miss BG on this thread, some weeks he was comedy gold.

Thanks. And, yes, you're right about people with agendas, and it's not just players, a poster awarded Potter 1 for yesterday :wozza:
Many of us are missing BG, but it's good to have PL football back. Especially with last minute winners.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Ryan 6 - His handling was like he was back to his pre-Roberts coaching of after we bought him.
Schelotto 5 - One good cross which should have been attacked but otherwise offered little.
Burn 6 - My definition of an average performance. Plenty of running but no contribution to attack.
Dunk 8 - His average performance is an 8, this was typical Dunk. Higher standards than many around him which is possibly a criticism of his leadership.
Webster 7 - Above average with a couple of good blocks which showed more defensive awareness than he has done previously this season.
Propper 6 - Bad in the first half but good toward the end. He needs more license to attack if we're going to stop being so dreadful to watch.
Bissouma 9 - Incredible performance. Showed all his energy, football intelligence, bite and desire. The best player on the pitch.
Gross 2 - I've always been a big fan, but he was crap. Poor deliveries, no involvement in open play at all. A passenger we can't afford.
Mooy 2 - A nothing player in our "system". Our "tactics" are to play players out of position and stitch them up. Especially Mooy, but he was bad.
Trossard 4 - Better than Gross and Mooy but also not used intelligently. Obviously a good player but hiding it from the world.
Maupay 7 - Took the goal well having had nothing all game. A foul on Leno but not an assault.

Subs
March 2 - For his involvement in Dunk's goal he gets a score. Woeful performance with justification, left wing back to right wing is bad tactics. But he's not a good player.
Connolly 5 - He gets boosted from a 4, which would have been running around only, because of the quality of the flicked pass into Maupay.
Stephens N/A - I don't know if he was actually on the pitch or not.
Montoya N/A - Likewise, I do not know if he was even there aside from one pass I remember.
Mac Allister 10 - On the pitch for 20 seconds and plays a pass none of our players had attempted all game. He's better than the rest and needs to start.

Potter 1 - He needs to wake up a little bit. The pudding is not a formation and his tactics do not get anything from any individuals. It's about time he gave some thought to playing his best players in a formation to best suit them. Why he insists on not getting the most out of the individuals is totally beyond me. He has more talent than he is using and it's extremely frustrating to watch.
Oh look, a post about what players you like and don't like!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As a regular contributor to player ratings thread, this is an interesting insight. So, a few comments:
-- of course many of us are wrong, and the ratings can reflect posters' views of a player rather than the performance
-- Knockaert was quite clearly the best player in the Championship for 18 months, he did OK in the PL, but was too inconsistent and unreliable in my view, and I wasn't crestfallen when he got moved in. The fact that I think this has no bearing whatsoever on what he contributed to getting us near to promotion, and then securing it.
-- I watch a fair bit of football, not as much as many, but certain people close to me would say too much. I like contributing to player ratings threads, but that doesn't mean that we're the font of all knowledge on this, just like on many other realms where we make judgments.

Good summary.

Player ratings threads are by far my favourite on NSC, as they provoke debate.

I think it is inevitable that people have their favourites, but unfortunately there seem also to be players that people don't like, and come from a negative starting point. (@Icy Gull will argue mine is Schelotto - but hopefully I'm objective in the ratings).

I always think that anything less than 4 has to warrant some sort of explanation to justify it, I mean even a 4 for yesterday seems rather strange to me, as they hadn't played for a 105 days.

The whole watching and playing/managing football to a reasonable level is an interesting debate as well, as often the perspective is different - but as you say at the end of the day it's just an opinion. I used to like the work [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] did with all the average ratings, as that would also tell a story.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It's just a shame for a fair few that judgement isn't based on what they've just seen, but based on situations weeks, months and in some case years previous.

As said each to their own.
I do love having my flabber agasted by this thread, so I can hardly criticise the contributors, despite the fact that's the ONLY reason I read it. :lolol:

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Ryan 7
Scheletto 6.5
Burn 6.5
Dunk 8 MOTM
Webster 7
Propper 6.5
Bissouma 8
Gross 6
Mooy 6.5
Trossard 4
Maupay 8

Connolly 6
Stephens 6
March 6
Montoya 6
MacAllister na

Pretty much as I saw it. Would bark Maty down to a 6 due to a couple of handling errors and bring Mooy up to a 7 as I thought he played reasonably well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Would still like him given a run at left back too at some point if we’re going to stick with 4 at the back. I really do think he could be excellent there. Pace, stamina, discipline, delivery - I really do think he could be a natural there.

Directly at fault for their goal for not closing down and showing the inside.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He was, but the good outweighed the bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More questioning if he can play well as the back. Don't think he can Problem with March is himself. He has the ability but hasn't the belief and almost desire to be the best. He never appears to particularly interested, definitely hides at times and whether it's "his" persona I don't know but it is obvious to a lot of people.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Surprised at the high ratings for Ryan. Made a couple of very good saves, but his kicking left a lot to be desired. Nearly all ended up with an Arsenal player.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Weird how some Albion ‘supporters’ hate on a few chosen Albion players. Embarrassing, frankly.

All the points you make are debatable and our difference of opinion isn't a problem. But that's a cheap shot - I don't hate any of the players. I think some of them have proven themselves to be quite lacking in ability but I also blame the manager(s) for not getting more out of them. At some point, in the case of March, he has to take the responsibility. He's not really done anything to justify still being here, but here he is. Playing plenty of games and contributing very, very little. I'm as invested in the club as anyone else, my opinion is worth as much as anyone else and maybe you could be more respectful of the genuine difference in opinion. A ratings thread will always spark debate but questioning my motive was unnecessary.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Team 8/10
Medical staff 10/10

Players have been dropping like flies in all the other games, I think we got through that without an injury. Which was nice.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
6 - average

Ryan - 8 - some good saves
Schelotto - 5
Burn - 6 -
Webster - 7
Dunk - 8
Mooy - 5
Gross - 5 - Dreadful corners
Bissouma - 9 - MoM
Proper - 6
Trossard - 4 - too weak on the ball, especially with his back to goal
Maupay - 9 - Worked so hard and deservedly got a goal his efforts deserved.

March - 6 - Good assist for the goal, but maybe should have been tighter to Pepe?
Montoya - 6
Connolly - 7 - did nothing but provided a moment of magic when he needed too
Stephens - N/A -
MacAllister - Was tempted by another N/A but his pass won us the game so ...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
6 - average (which takes into account the fact that it's impossible not to be a bit match rusty after such a long break)

Ryan - 7 - looks more assured under crosses than he used to, always been a good shot stopper. Did fumble a couple, but it's been a long lay off.
Schelotto - 6 - doesn't inspire me with confidence, but did OK. We need better for next season. In because our midfield lacked any real pace.
Burn - 6 - organised but seemed to be one of the more rusty players. Got into it.
Webster - 7 - rightly keeping Duffy out. Seems to be working well with Dunk now.
Dunk - 8 - always impressive. A quiet leader, but was at it from the off. Delighted that he scored.
Mooy - 6 - we know he has it in him, but can't play with Gross. Did the job he was asked to, but not being used well alongside Gross.
Gross - 5 - see Mooy. I love Pascal, but this isn't his formation and he really looked like he needs game time.
Bissouma - 8 - a booking waiting to happen, but that lovely 2 minute montage knocking round the internet sums him up. In everything, energy, physicallity, and now looking up for the simple (and the clever) pass.
Proper - 7 - good game apart from his traditional pass the ball to the oppo just outside our area.
Trossard - 4 - are we playing the wrong formation for him? He should be affecting the game, but seems lost. Permanently moody visage doesn't help.
Maupay - 8 - did what he does, like a CMS with talent. And he's only 23. Must be a ******* to defend against. Shuts people down, bundle of energy, clever and the best wind up merchant since Ashley Barnes

March - 6 - probably adds more value than I give him credit for. Can change system very quickly at Potters say so. Apparently showing Pepe the inside was a mistake! Still doesn't impact the game enough for me.
Montoya - 6 - barely noticed him
Connolly - 6 - sublime touch. There's a very very good player not quite getting out just yet.
Stephens - not on long enough to score
MacAllister - on long enough to impact the game, always feels like the oppo drop deeper when he comes on.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ryan - 8 - Excellent 1st half and kept us in the game.
Schelotto - 5 - Not for me. One brilliant cross just before half time but too often missing defensively when it matters.
Burn - 6 - Struggled 1st half the introduction of March helped a lot.
Webster - 7.5 - Decent performance and looks to be coming to terms with the step up. Tremendous challenge to deny aubameyang.
Dunk - 8.5 - Fantastic, a rock and got a goal which was nice for me who backed him to score. Surely England need to take another look?
Mooy - 5 - Looked off the pace and struggled against Pepe especially.
Gross - 5 - Struggled for the ball, put in a good shift as always but offered little in the final 3rd.
Bissouma - 9 - If Bissouma has had a better game for the Albion I haven't seen it. Add this to his Wolves performance and others and we have a star in the making if he can find this level consistently.
Proper - 7 - Awful 1st half and could easily have been taken off. Looked so much better in the 2nd especially as the game stretched late on.
Trossard - 5 - I can't make my mind up on him. At times he looks fantastic others like Sat he disappears. 1st season is often a struggle for foreign players but needs to do more if he wants to play PL football.
Maupay - 8.5 - Fed on scraps for long periods but worked hard, made a nuisance of himself and took his goal very well. Again could be a big player next season if he trains on.

March - 7 - Did really well in the main and stemmed the flow down the left. Thought he could've done better on their goal, a stride towards the ball and Pepe doesn't score but overall made a difference.
Montoya - 6 - Solid but shored things up.
Connolly - 7 - Didn't get into the game much but the lay off for the goal was class.
Stephens - N/A - Put himself about.
MacAllister - N/A - Incisive pass into Connolly for the winner. Certainly not phased by the step up in his cameos.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ryan 9 - very good saves and excellent in distribution. Great game.

Schelotto 6 - like always, he is all over the pitch, running like a madman. Everything is a bit hit or miss but generally very useful in a game where it is possible to run the opponents tired.
Webster 8 - class player. Tall, quick, good on the ball and now got a far chance of showing it to those who hate him for not being Duffy.
Dunk 8 - Great game, looked much calmer than he usually does and even like he has put on a bit of muscle?
Burn 7 - doesnt brig much in attack, had a bit rough first 20 minutes and their goal came from his side of the pitch. All in all he makes a great game against their £72m winger though. I would be surprised if he is not playing in the England national team soon. The most consistent player in the team.

Gross 6 - pretty good performance, rarely lost the ball and worked hard. Nothing special though and his starting spot is far from guaranteed nowadays.
Bissouma 9 - crazy good, again. First five minutes decides all of his games: if he does well he'll be excellent, does poorly then he will remain shit. Against Arsenal he was world class and put another £5m to his value.
Pröpper 6 - a lot is good. A lot is very poor. I understand why he is playing though as he fits this type of playing, but I would look to upgrade him into something else when the transfer window opens.
Mooy 6 - did alright and was one of a few able to keep possession and make a few interceptions in first half. Looked really tired like 35 minutes in, could see him start on the bench in most games.

Trossard 5 - close to a 4... is actually pretty decent defensively but other than that, it is just not happening for Trossard. In short sequences.

Maupay 9 - the hold up play, the passing, the goal, the energy... as I've said all season, this is a top, top class striker. He is in the French NT before this year ends and in a top club before next year ends, so enjoy it while it lasts.

subs

March 6 - he is great until he is forced to make decisions on the ball, when I know I could go for a piss break and still return to see the poor cross.

Connolly 7 - barely touched the ball but ran a lot, preventing Arsenal from enjoying their previously pretty easy build-up phase. Brighton took over when he came on and that pass is dirty good.

Stephens N/A - played too little but prevented two very dangerous Arsenal counter attacks.

Montoya 6 - existed. Decent defensively, as long as he doesnt have the ball I dont mind him being around.

Macallister N/A - also played too little to get rated but going with a forward pass in that situation shows character. I'm sure we'll get a bit more of him next game.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My favourite posts are the "if everyone played as well as Dunk then......".

Completely missing the point that he's our best player, should be an England regular and is worth a fortune. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if we had 11 of those then we'd be dong a bit better.... :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here