Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match day thread England vs Croatia

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Looks like Phillips has played himself into a position where it's his place to lose, fair play to him. Mind you, you could have said the same thing about White ...................................

Yeah. It's a real positive that he can legitimately keep Henderson out of the team. Really good strength in depth for the midfield places.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I'm probably in the minority here but I'm getting a little fed up with the 'we won ergo, Southgate got it right'. We only won by one goal and only had two shots on target. I still think that Grealish should have been given some time on the pitch.

Well how many goals do you expect us to beat Croatia by for it to be a good result? 2, 3, 4? We also hit the post and were fairly comfortable for most of the 90.

I don’t think anyone’s saying it’s the best England performance of all time, but the result is all important. You make it sound like we just beat Panama. We won our first game at the euros for the first time ever and beat the World Cup finalists and the team that knocked us out in the semis. I want to see Grealish play too, but Southgate made some very bold selections yesterday. He would have got a ton of stick if we lost so surely have to give him a little credit as we got the result.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Well how many goals do you expect us to beat Croatia by for it to be a good result? 2, 3, 4? We also hit the post and were fairly comfortable for most of the 90.

I don’t think anyone’s saying it’s the best England performance of all time, but the result is all important. You make it sound like we just beat Panama. We won our first game at the euros for the first time ever and beat the World Cup finalists and the team that knocked us out in the semis. I want to see Grealish play too, but Southgate made some very bold selections yesterday. He would have got a ton of stick if we lost so surely have to give him a little credit as we got the result.

Agreed. I’m the first to criticise GS but he was spot on yesterday.

Slightly dull, difficult teams to beat win tournaments. Yesterday was a great start.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just got banned from Twitter for the first time in the ten years or so I've had an account. For this. I thought it was a pretty reasonable assessment on their first half performance.

Screenshot_20210615-060744_Twitter.jpg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just got banned from Twitter for the first time in the ten years or so I've had an account. For this. I thought it was a pretty reasonable assessment on their first half performance.

View attachment 137681
The banning algorithm possibly thought "one footed" was part of the "disability/serious disease" criteria.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The banning algorithm possibly thought "one footed" was part of the "disability/serious disease" criteria.

Or had an over-active race policy and incorrectly thought the tweet was racist as they are three black players. Maybe adding criticism of a white player would have made a difference?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I agree the result is important but there are many suggesting the result completely vindicated Southgate's selections. It didn't. Only Finland, out of the teams that won their opening games, had few shots on target (Slovakia only had two and scored from both). Croatia had the same amount of shots and the same amount on target suggesting the lead was very precarious.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Or had an over-active race policy and incorrectly thought the tweet was racist as they are three black players. Maybe adding criticism of a white player would have made a difference?

I hadn't even twigged that they were all black. I really hope that's not the reason for the ban. The crap I read on Twitter and the algo decides this is racist!

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I hadn't even twigged that they were all black. I really hope that's not the reason for the ban. The crap I read on Twitter and the algo decides this is racist!

Don’t forget too that donkey is only one letter different from monkey..........I don’t rate Mings as a top international player myself, but apart from a missed cross I didn’t think he did much wrong.

Would have subbed Walker for James though.

Sterling is a riddle, I think he is at his best in more fluid games, I would have played Grealish to play the passes into Kane etc. But he scored so harsh to be too down about him Sunday IMO.......yah daft racist.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I think the word donkey may be the trigger. Comparing a human to an animal.
I know as football fans, it’s common usage, but Twitter isn’t a British platform.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I agree the result is important but there are many suggesting the result completely vindicated Southgate's selections. It didn't. Only Finland, out of the teams that won their opening games, had few shots on target (Slovakia only had two and scored from both). Croatia had the same amount of shots and the same amount on target suggesting the lead was very precarious.

Sure, but Croatia are a very good side. Not sure why you think we have a divine right to get more shots on target .vs them or comparing them to Finland or Denmark. Again, they are a higher calibre opponent. They were World Cup runners up, and they knocked us out last time we played them too.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Don’t forget too that donkey is only one letter different from monkey..........I don’t rate Mings as a top international player myself, but apart from a missed cross I didn’t think he did much wrong.

Would have subbed Walker for James though.

Sterling is a riddle, I think he is at his best in more fluid games, I would have played Grealish to play the passes into Kane etc. But he scored so harsh to be too down about him Sunday IMO.......yah daft racist.

Daft I can own!

In fairness, I posted this at half time. Sterling had looked too easy to manage at that point. I think good defenders, later in the tournament, will know where to usher him to make him ineffective. Agree about Grealish.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Did anyone go or know anyone who went?? Were masks compulsary in all settings inside the ground as per the last EPL games or have the measures been relaxed for these fixtures?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The result against Croatia was more impressive than any of the games in the WC where we reached the semi final and failed imo :shrug:

I am no Southgate fan but credit where it’s due, we did everything we needed to do against fairly tough opposition.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The result against Croatia was more impressive than any of the games in the WC where we reached the semi final and failed imo :shrug:

I am no Southgate fan but credit where it’s due, we did everything we needed to do against fairly tough opposition.

I mean, if we can’t give Southgate credit for beating Croatia when can we give him credit. Before the game I’d have been happy with a point.

Will be interesting to see how Croatia get on now, I still think they’re technically brilliant and would not be surprised to see them comfortably turn over the Czechs and Scotland [emoji2369]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sure, but Croatia are a very good side. Not sure why you think we have a divine right to get more shots on target .vs them or comparing them to Finland or Denmark. Again, they are a higher calibre opponent. They were World Cup runners up, and they knocked us out last time we played them too.

Incorrect.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46167890

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here