Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match day thread England vs Croatia

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Oh no England only gone and dunnit, actually looked like they knew what they were doing and Mings was very good. What parallel universe is this? Well done.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Having had time to reflect on yesterday, I'm still of the opinion that it was a very good result and performance against a very good side who side out to make life as difficult as possible for England. It was a clear example of how wary teams are going to be of England's attacking threat and Croatia's game plan was to suffocate and frustrate us and then take advantage of a counter or lapse in defensive concentration - neither of which we allowed to happen.

Ultimately, chances were few and far between but we did what we had to and found a way to open them up with a great move seemingly out of nothing, and had another two or three 'good' chances on top of that. All the while, we maintained our composure, stuck to our game plan and limited Croatia to very, very little up the other end of the pitch. I can't remember a meaningful opportunity they had, in fact.

After the midfield masterclass they gave us at the 2018 World Cup, I'm heartened by that performance. People aren't getting carried away because they're 'only' Croatia, but it's easy to forget that they deservedly beat us in the semi-final of the last major tournament, are recent World Cup finalists, beat Argentina 3-0 in the group stages of that competition and are above the likes of the Netherlands in the FIFA World Rankings.

Any suggestion that Croatia lost the game on purpose in order to come second in the group is just absurd. That might be a consideration for the final game once you've qualified, but I don't believe anyone is stupid or arrogant enough to take that strategy in the first game in the competition - Croatia can barely afford a slip up now else they are out.

Anyway, it might not be a bad thing that we haven't just beaten a more traditional big name in international football - a notion amongst the media and public that were are going to piss the bloody thing on the back of one game isn't particularly helpful. More performances like that - assured, methodical, confident, organised and robust, will do for me.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Having had time to reflect on yesterday, I'm still of the opinion that it was a very good result and performance against a very good side who side out to make life as difficult as possible for England. It was a clear example of how wary teams are going to be of England's attacking threat and Croatia's game plan was to suffocate and frustrate us and then take advantage of a counter or lapse in defensive concentration - neither of which we allowed to happen.

Agree, it was a very mature and efficient performance from England. Slightly surprised at the reaction of some on social media claiming it was a poor, negative performance and blaming Southgate.

Beating Croatia is not a done thing. They are still an excellent, technical side who only recently were World Cup runners up (and they certainly schooled us that day in the semi finals).

Will be interesting to see their other games, I fancy a very strong response from Croatia against Scotland and Czech Republic.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Agree, it was a very mature and efficient performance from England. Slightly surprised at the reaction of some on social media claiming it was a poor, negative performance and blaming Southgate.

Beating Croatia is not a done thing. They are still an excellent, technical side who only recently were World Cup runners up (and they certainly schooled us that day in the semi finals).

Will be interesting to see their other games, I fancy a very strong response from Croatia against Scotland and Czech Republic.

I've not seen that, only on NSC! Talk to fans in the pub and they are overwhelmingly pro Southgate, not like on here at all!

I thought we played exceptionally well for 20 minutes and then did ok / enough for the rest of the match. Very few negatives to take from the match (some of Pickford's kicking and Walker going forward) and lots of positives. Some very intelligent throw ins taken, untroubled centre backs, Rice and (MOTM) Philips both looked assured. Southgate willing to sub Kane for playing shite.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Where does a fit Henderson fit in to this team? Before yesterday it ws obviously in place of Phillips but after his performance yesterday would that be wise?

If Phillips keeps clattering people he'll be suspended for the Knockout stage so Henderson will have time to improve his fitness

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Where does a fit Henderson fit in to this team? Before yesterday it ws obviously in place of Phillips but after his performance yesterday would that be wise?

Looks like Phillips has played himself into a position where it's his place to lose, fair play to him. Mind you, you could have said the same thing about White ...................................

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If Phillips keeps clattering people he'll be suspended for the Knockout stage so Henderson will have time to improve his fitness

I thought he did his clattering very well. He must have given away four or five fouls without a hint of a yellow card. If we can get everyone on that kind of ratio we'll be at Italy levels of opponent disrupting.

But I was thinking more of the knockouts where Henderson should be closer to being able to play a full 90. Would he walk back into the team? And if he did whose place does he take? Rice's? Phillips's? Mounts?

On reflection it's maybe the biggest plus of yesterday that the three outfield players who would be considered the spine of the team - Maguire, Henderson, Kane either didn't play or were mostly peripheral to proceedings.

If we can beat Scotland then we'd be in a position to start both Maguire and Henderson in the final group game giving us the chance to g into the knock outs with two key players near enough match fit.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Phillips was really good yesterday.

I don't think he will get away with so many 'clumsy' interventions all the time without getting yellows or worse.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Phillips was really good yesterday.

I don't think he will get away with so many 'clumsy' interventions all the time without getting yellows or worse.

I am hoping his performances make him a target for clubs who may have been after Biss and if we can’t keep him it may ramp up the bids. If Phillips goes for mega money surely it follows that Biss will too? Shame Biss is not able to showcase his talents at the Euros….or is it? :wink:

I thought Phillips was MOTM yesterday

Southgate came out of that game really well too, and I am still not a fan. I could be if he keeps it up and we compete with more top teams on an equal basis.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Agree Phillips proved a lot of people wrong yesterday. Including myself.

Hugely impressive performance. We’ve not had a new battling midfield type player like that for England in a while. If we play the same system again it’s his place to lose as far as I’m concerned.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Apparently 'Yorkshire Pirlo' was trending on Twitter yesterday from Leeds fans in relation to Phillips. If ever you needed proof of a club's fans stupidity, this was it! In what way does he play anything like Pirlo?! 'Yorkshire Kante' maybe but Pirlo?!

What a performance from Phillips though! Him making that position his own and playing like that could be a game changer for England in this tournament. Phillips and Rice in the middle frees up Mount, Foden, Sterling, Sancho, Grealish etc to do what they do best in space. There's a really interesting piece on The Athletic from Michael Cox about the way we played Phillips yesterday and the positions he took up/runs he made, definitely recommend it. Full credit to Phillips for his performance but also Southgate who I've never been sure about as a manager but planned this perfectly.

And I really hope Phillips is injured/suspended for both of our games again next season too!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm probably in the minority here but I'm getting a little fed up with the 'we won ergo, Southgate got it right'. We only won by one goal and only had two shots on target. I still think that Grealish should have been given some time on the pitch.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm probably in the minority here but I'm getting a little fed up with the 'we won ergo, Southgate got it right'. We only won by one goal and only had two shots on target. I still think that Grealish should have been given some time on the pitch.

Agreed.

Result 10/10. Performance 7/10.

Grealish needs to be picked for the knock-out phases.

Also - Croatia were just awful. Even the Albion would have turned them over. Lallana & Biss would have done as well as Rice & Phillips, if not better.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I was very pleasantly surprised by that performance yesterday. I thought England were very assured and confident. Comfortably the better team throughout, and even though Croatia my not be the powerhouse they were in 2018 they are clearly no mugs either.

Phillips was excellent and he replicated his superb form for Leeds on the biggest stage. Ironically I thought prior to the goal Sterling had not had the best of games and was hoping that he maybe subbed off, shows what I know.

A very solid opening performance that should give the team a lot of confidence moving forward. If we need to change it up later on, we have the resources to do so. Bring on Scotland!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

its one of those performances that you just move on from. It wasn't bad, but also wasn't brilliant. Bag the points and move on.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Apparently 'Yorkshire Pirlo' was trending on Twitter yesterday from Leeds fans in relation to Phillips. If ever you needed proof of a club's fans stupidity, this was it! In what way does he play anything like Pirlo?! 'Yorkshire Kante' maybe but Pirlo?!

What a performance from Phillips though! Him making that position his own and playing like that could be a game changer for England in this tournament. Phillips and Rice in the middle frees up Mount, Foden, Sterling, Sancho, Grealish etc to do what they do best in space. There's a really interesting piece on The Athletic from Michael Cox about the way we played Phillips yesterday and the positions he took up/runs he made, definitely recommend it. Full credit to Phillips for his performance but also Southgate who I've never been sure about as a manager but planned this perfectly.

And I really hope Phillips is injured/suspended for both of our games again next season too!

Me too! Phillips is a very decent player. I watched quite a bit of Leeds last season - they were pretty much the most entertaining team in the EPL. But it was astonishing how crap they were against us. Obviously the big difference was the absence of Phillips.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Most teams that have previously won the tournament have started slowly, but still got the results while not playing to their full potential. Good result yesterday, plus not used some of our better players.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Now a bit more time has passed since the match, I do think it was a solid performance and I was probably a bit harsh in my previous post. Phillips rightly got a lot of praise but I though Rice was quietly effective picking up a lot of loose balls and cutting out a few crosses.

Although England might get an easier game if they finish second, doesn’t winning the group mean we will play at Wembley in the last 16?

Mings had a good game by his standards but still completely left one cross in the first half and I don’t think he’s close to international standard.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Now a bit more time has passed since the match, I do think it was a solid performance and I was probably a bit harsh in my previous post. Phillips rightly got a lot of praise but I though Rice was quietly effective picking up a lot of loose balls and cutting out a few crosses.

Although England might get an easier game if they finish second, doesn’t winning the group mean we will play at Wembley in the last 16?

Mings had a good game by his standards but still completely left one cross in the first half and I don’t think he’s close to international standard.

Mings was ok against a very tepid attack. He was also hugely helped defensively by Trippier and Rice. We all know against a decent attack he will be found wanting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here