Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Mass IT Outage

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Disaster Recovery... unless you whooshed me, in which case... nice one 👍😂😂
No you're fine. Not being an office dweller I never knew.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Imagine being the person who signed that one off for release. Knowing that you effectively shut down large chunks of the Western world, shutting down airports, access to healthcare, financial services.

Wow.
They'll write a book/film and be very rich... it's the way of the world

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This is exactly the sort of global IT outage that I always believed Bensgrandad (RIP) was going to inadvertently trigger, every time he tried to re-install some programme or other on a second-hand laptop with the help of his brother-in-law and a spurious USB stick.

He'd be all over this.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I have been asked quite a few times to come out of retirement to help companies write dr/bc plans and review their strategies.

30+ years of experience building IBM systems from As400 to RS6000 and series recoveries and rebuilding

On another tack we used redspam not crowdstrike as the latter was known to not test their releases, like Microsoft and Apple who release updates knowing they have bugs and when customers found them they reported them and out came revisions.

I am glad o am out of this
In the insurance game?

I’m working with a manufacturer in New York and it is the first time I’ve seen an AS/400 outside of insurance

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Just chuckling at this bit of marketing on the Crowdstrike website:
"

62 minutes could bring your​

business down​

That’s the average time it takes an adversary to land and move laterally through your network. When your data, reputation, and revenue are at stake, trust the pioneer in adversary intelligence"

I think they beat that!!

Last edited:

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
In the insurance game?

I’m working with a manufacturer in New York and it is the first time I’ve seen an AS/400 outside of insurance
Tower Hamlets council had them in the 90s, was my first job (on the development side rather than looking after the things)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In the insurance game?

A lot of our customers were finance houses and as400 and iseries machines were abundant

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Crowdstrike shares down 15% Good time to buy?
saw they've been down on some poor news/product before this morning (drowned in the news now). as above likely risk of being sued, even if doesn't come to much, then expect hit to earnings. stock will get beaten down bad. sell Crowdstrike, buy competitors.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Limited liability? Pretty sure that will be written into every contract
Can you imagine how much money this has caused firms to lose across the world? I doubt they will be allowed to get away with this with a slap on the wrist.

Once they've been sued, there will be the reputational damage as well. Who is going to want to touch them?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So - that's why I had to pay cash on the ferry this morning! Wondered why the ticket office staff were looking harassed.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's a bit sobering that one single software update error by one Noddy (relatively speaking) outfit can cause so much disruption.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Day off today so been out and about. Some places still having issues with taking card payments but most were okay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here