Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Mass IT Outage

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Yeah realistically whether we were all in the office today or not would make no difference. It'd just be a room full of mildly panicking people rather than those people mildly panicking in their home office.
The argument they'll make is that since fixing this requires hands on the keyboard, having all those keyboards spread across random locations all over the city / country / world is a bit of an issue. Better to require all the keyboards (and the associated meatbags) crammed into the same office, just in case this happens again.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Shame the yanks panicked and liquidated Sungard world wide

we were the world leaders in DR/BC and this would have been right up our alley

and as we were liquidated only government redundancy not enhanced for people who had been there 22 years

f*** em

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Shame the yanks panicked and liquidated Sungard world wide

we were the world leaders in DR/BC and this would have been right up our alley

and as we were liquidated only government redundancy not enhanced for people who had been there 22 years

f*** em
How ?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This was always 'when' not 'if'.
Most servers these days are VM images so scaremongering that 10,000s of servers need a keyboard plugged in is typical media hyperbole, the VM hosts maybe. What will be taking the time is getting root access where required and testing roll back. Lots of big companies will be learning that hardly anyone really knows their major DR event processes.
Yes. A reminder to many companies that they should actually rehearse their DR processes occasionally. This one may be fixed 'relatively' quickly though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
from US, in interview with Crowdstrike CEO he was asked why all the systems dont have backups. like thats his problem too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes. A reminder to many companies that they should actually rehearse their DR processes occasionally. This one may be fixed 'relatively' quickly though.
I have been asked quite a few times to come out of retirement to help companies write dr/bc plans and review their strategies.

30+ years of experience building IBM systems from As400 to RS6000 and series recoveries and rebuilding

On another tack we used redspam not crowdstrike as the latter was known to not test their releases, like Microsoft and Apple who release updates knowing they have bugs and when customers found them they reported them and out came revisions.

I am glad o am out of this

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have been asked quite a few times to come out of retirement to help companies write dr/bc plans and review their strategies.

30+ years of experience building IBM systems from As400 to RS6000 and series recoveries and rebuilding

On another tack we used redspam not crowdstrike as the latter was known to not test their releases, like Microsoft and Apple who release updates knowing they have bugs and when customers found them they reported them and out came revisions.

I'm quite chuffed here, I managed to recognise several words in that post!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This, totally agree. WTF is DR????

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Imagine being the person who signed that one off for release. Knowing that you effectively shut down large chunks of the Western world, shutting down airports, access to healthcare, financial services.

Wow.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

This is a 3rd party issue. The problem is that everything is so centralised and interconnected now and we are too reliant on third parties now. The scenarios to test are endless.....

The only failsafe for ms windows crowdstrike users would be to have a Mac equivalent wouldn't it ? Which would be very expensive.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I am sure companies would pay you well for your experience help...but you probably wouldn't want all the sh*t that would go with it 😬.

Good decision, enjoy your retirement 👍.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here